Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Florida beats the tar out of the Buckeyes!

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Yep one has em at 5 and another has em at 6
    Here's the thing about Boise.

Given 5 weeks to prepare, I think they would have a legitimate shot against any team, including Florida and OSU.
    5 weeks is a LOT of time to analyze and work things out.

In a playoff system, where you might have 1 week to prepare for an unknown opponent, then I think Boise likely gets creamed, because the talent difference is that much more important on the short schedule.

=Z=
    I really doubt Boise State could compete with Florida, Ohio State, Michigan or USC. I just think the talent difference is too great.

I know they're undefeated, but they didn't beat a ranked team all year until Oklahoma, and the talent of Michigan, OSU, USC or Florida is FAR superior to that of the Sooners.
    Given the chance, they beat Oregon State (who IS ranked in the final coaches top25 poll out today) and Hawaii (who IS ranked in the final coaches top25 poll out today), as well as Oklahoma.

You can't just poo-poo the OU win.
    Oklahoma was the Big-12 CHAMPION with a legitimate Heisman contender at tailback.

As I said above - a playoff format favors the big schools, simply based on talent-level.
    But a solid program like Boise State this year or Utah back in 2004, led by a 3-year-starter at QB and a dynamic RB and given several weeks to prepare, has a legitimate shot at winning a single game.

=Z=
    I would agree with you, except I think given the same ammount of time to prepare Meyers would put together just as good of a plan. Would Florida win? Who knows, all I know is both teams have great coaches.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    I would agree with you, except I think given the same amount of time to prepare Meyers would put together just as good of a plan. Would Florida win? Who knows, all I know is both teams have great coaches.
    Meyer certainly had the plan last night - but Tressell didn't.
    Pete Carroll had the plan but Lloyd Carr didn't in the Rose Bowl.

Game-planning and scheming and all that stuff didn't prepare OU for the hook-and-ladder, WR option pass or Statue of Liberty that Boise had in the bag.

So, Del - what do you think about a playoff?
    Would smart coaches from smaller schools have the time (1 week between games) to be able to plot out a plan for beating the talent gap?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Wow this is a heated discussion.. The funny part about this is that it is not even about the Vikings...

There are only a few OSU fans, and a few Gator fans here.. I like threads like this, it keeps the offseason entertaining.. ;D

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I would agree with you, except I think given the same amount of time to prepare Meyers would put together just as good of a plan. Would Florida win? Who knows, all I know is both teams have great coaches.
    Meyer certainly had the plan last night - but Tressell didn't.
    Pete Carroll had the plan but Lloyd Carr didn't in the Rose Bowl.

Game-planning and scheming and all that stuff didn't prepare OU for the hook-and-ladder, WR option pass or Statue of Liberty that Boise had in the bag.

So, Del - what do you think about a playoff?
    Would smart coaches from smaller schools have the time (1 week between games) to be able to plot out a plan for beating the talent gap?

=Z=
    No but those plays are "trick" plays and once you show your hand you can bet that it will be prepared for. Meyers has won everywhere he has been and I attribute it alot to his gameplanning, and his offense on a whole is a large trick play, running the spread option well will always keep teams on their toes.

As far as a playoffs I really don't know. I think even small schools could benifit from the shortness between games. Smaller schools have the advantage of the unknown. Bigger teams never think about schools like Utah, Boise St. Who the hell are they, they seldom play them. It is an advantage. I think it would be exciting. IN the end I believe Heart, Brains, and execusion will beat out talent everytime. If you feel your an underdog, if you have few penalties/turnovers, and if you play smart football it doesnt take much to knock them on their heels.

A small school gains a lead it builds confidence and takes away confidence from the opposition. I really wish they had a playoff. I think your point is valid, but I also feel the smaller schools could make a run for sure. A bigger concern of mine would be if it went on 3 or more games by the time the small school reached the last game their tendencies would be well known.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    A small school gains a lead it builds confidence and takes away confidence from the opposition. I really wish they had a playoff. I think your point is valid, but I also feel the smaller schools could make a run for sure. A bigger concern of mine would be if it went on 3 or more games by the time the small school reached the last game their tendencies would be well known.
    For a playoff to be successful, it would have to be limited to 4 rounds, so that's either 12 or 16 teams (12 teams if the top 4 seeds get a bye).
    Play the first two rounds at home for the higher seed and then the last two rounds as the Rose, Orange and Fiesta bowls.
    Sorry, Sugar Bowl, you lose in this one.

They'd need to cap the NCAA season at 12 games MAX, to account for 4 more games for the final two teams.
    16 games is a lot, for sure.
    Play the first two rounds right after Thanksgiving, break for finals and Christmas and then the last two rounds around New Year's weekend.

The last big thing would be that the university presidents would need to SUCK IT UP and share the revenue from the TV and sponsorship contracts with all Division I schools.
    I'm sure a pro-rated sharing would be the big answer (SEC gets more than WAC), but all schools needs some sort of cut to replace what they get by sending their champ to the Mid-Atlanta Choice Hotel Weedeater Bowl to play the #5 Big-12 team.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Del" wrote:
    Nothing surprising about this win. Urban Meyers is the man. Been saying it for a month now, you're not going to beat him in a bowl game. 1 offensive score........ gol 'darnit Ohio St. got it's jiggly butt handed to em.
    Urban is a great coach no doubt.
    I knew it even before this game.
    The Florida speed and all did not worry me one bit.
    It was Urban that worried me.

Think he'll move on again?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456