Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

"cogitans" wrote:
    As I have written in here earlier, this has been my first year of following college ball a little more closely than I have in the past. (College Ball has never been shown on TV in my country).

But all this BCS system BS have allready kind of taken my interest away from the game. There is simply too much discussion and not enough ball.
    The thing is, prior to the BCS, there were conference tie-ins to all of the major bowl games which often precluded having the two "best" teams (or most-deserving, how about that?) meet in a game which decided the national champion.

There were two press polls - the AP and the UPI (which was a coach's poll, if I remember correctly) which crowned the national champion at the end of the year.
    Most years, they were the same - some years, they were different and there were TWO national champions.

So the BCS was conceived as a way to replace the traditional bowl-conference champion tie-ins and put the top 2 teams together to play a game.
    The controversy now is before the game to determine who should be in it - not after the game based on the final polls.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

SHOW-TIME is offline Pro-Bowler

well I agree with Michigan getting screwed over...and yes if USC wouldve won then Michigan would be ahead of Florida in the standings right now...it's just the fact either way Michigan was going to get the shaft on this becuase they already lost to OSU...and its sad the BCS is made so the best two teams play each other at the end of the year and this year that won't be happening
    so yeah eatingpieinbed some friends of mine http://www.purevolume.com/eatingpieinbed

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    As I have written in here earlier, this has been my first year of following college ball a little more closely than I have in the past. (College Ball has never been shown on TV in my country).

But all this BCS system BS have allready kind of taken my interest away from the game. There is simply too much discussion and not enough ball.

In the current discussion I guess you can say that both teams are good enough to get a shot, but the Florida jump were really strange to me. The week earlier Michigan were overtaken by USC. And does anyone really think Florida would've overtaken them if USC had done the job over UCLA. Of course not, then it would've been Ohio->USC->Michigan->Florida

Then you can say as one article does that it was worse in the past. Thats probably true, but the fact remains that all this BS takes it away from being a true sports event, and into becoming a crazy political chessgame, that really bores me.
    You bring up many fair points, but do not be discouraged so easily. You must realize that trying to orgainze a fair system when there are over 100 teams vying for the championship is very tough. I think a bracket will be introduced within the next decade, but if you don't like the politics I would suggest simply believing what the BCS tells you.

I honestly think the only team that got screwed may have been Wisconsin. Michigan already lost to OSU, Florida was the best team in a very tough conference, and USC has bad losses to Oregon State and UCLA.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:

In the current discussion I guess you can say that both teams are good enough to get a shot, but the Florida jump were really strange to me. The week earlier Michigan were overtaken by USC. And does anyone really think Florida would've overtaken them if USC had done the job over UCLA. Of course not, then it would've been Ohio->USC->Michigan->Florida

Then you can say as one article does that it was worse in the past. Thats probably true, but the fact remains that all this BS takes it away from being a true sports event, and into becoming a crazy political chessgame, that really bores me.
    You bring up many fair points, but do not be discouraged so easily. You must realize that trying to orgainze a fair system when there are over 100 teams vying for the championship is very tough. I think a bracket will be introduced within the next decade, but if you don't like the politics I would suggest simply believing what the BCS tells you.

I honestly think the only team that got screwed may have been Wisconsin. Michigan already lost to OSU, Florida was the best team in a very tough conference, and USC has bad losses to Oregon State and UCLA.
    Don't get me wrong, I like politics alot. Actually it is my field. I just don't like when it influence with sports like in this case.

However I can understand that it can be dificult to find a fair system with 119 teams or how many it is.

I think the biggest problem to compromise about a solution in the future will be the influence of money in the game.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "JDogg926" wrote:
    You could argue Michigan got screwed, you could argue Florida deserved it more, but overall the Big Ten did kind of get screwed, considering Wisconsin's only loss was to a team better than even Florida's only loss.
    Please refer to Wisconsin's schedule and tell me if they got screwed.
    They should not even be ranked where they are IMO.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/teams/wwo
    If you weren't such a blind OSU homer, Ultra, you'd realize that he's referring to them being in the top-10 in the BCS standings but not getting to go to a BCS bowl.
    That's how the "Big 10 did kind of get screwed".

=Z=
    I am saying they should be happy where they are at considering thier schedule.
    You bust on everyone's schedule but OSUs.

CINCINNATI, NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND BOWLING GREEN - 3 of the 4 non-conference opponents this year for OSU

INDIANA, ILLINOIS, NORTHWESTERN - the 3 bottom-feeders of the Big 10, all of whom OSU played.

WISCONSIN, PURDUE - 2 of the top 5 teams in the Big 10 which OSU did NOT play.

You need a better all-purpose comeback than to point out the schedule.
    Yes, OSU played Texas and yes, OSU played Michigan.
    So what?
    They patty-caked their way through 75% of the non-conference schedule and then didn't face all of the top teams in the Big 10, but, instead, feasted on the losers.

=Z=
    Are you telling me you can honestly look at Wisconsins schedule and say with a straight face that Ohio States was not harder?

"Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:

CINCINNATI, NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND BOWLING GREEN - 3 of the 4 non-conference opponents this year for OSU

INDIANA, ILLINOIS, NORTHWESTERN - the 3 bottom-feeders of the Big 10, all of whom OSU played.

So what?
    They patty-caked their way through 75% of the non-conference schedule and then didn't face all of the top teams in the Big 10, but, instead, feasted on the losers.

=Z=
    Are you telling me you can honestly look at Wisconsins schedule and say with a straight face that Ohio States was not harder?
    I haven't looked at Wisconsin's schedule, so, no, I can't say that.
    But any time that a team other than OSU is brought up (ND & Wisconsin being the main ones), Ultra brings up "their crappy schedule".
    I was merely trying to point out that OSU didn't play a monster schedule this year, either.

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:

So what?

=Z=
    But any time that a team other than OSU is brought up (ND & Wisconsin being the main ones), Ultra brings up "their crappy schedule".
    I was merely trying to point out that OSU didn't play a monster schedule this year, either.

=Z=
    I was just wondering because Wisconsins schedule was crappy. That being said the way the games are scheduled is crazy anyway, you can big on a game back when Penn State was great and the year you play them they suck.

"Del" wrote:
    Let's take a look, shall we?
    (And actually read this - I know Ultra won't, but I hope you will, Del).

OSU -
    Home:
    NIU, Cincinnati, Penn State, Bowling Green, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan
    Away:
    Texas, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern

Wisconsin -
    Home:
    Western Illinois, San Diego State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, Penn State, Buffalo
    Away:
    Bowling Green, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa

Common Opponents:
    Bowling Green, Penn State, Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern
    Analysis:
    8 common opponents in a 12-game schedule.
    Both played Penn State and Minnesota at home (a wash) and Iowa on the road (wash).
    OSU got Illinois and NU on the road, while Wisconsin got them at home (+2 points to OSU).
    Wisconsin played Bowling Green in Cincinnati, while OSU got them at home (+.5 point to Wisconsin).
    Wisconsin played Michigan and Indiana on the road, while OSU (as we know) played at home (+2 points to Wisconsin).
    So - I give that a .5 advantage to Wisconsin.

Uncommon Opponents:
    OSU: NIU(H), Texas(A), Cincinnati(H), Michigan State(A)
    Wisconsin:
    Western Illinois(H), SDSU(H), Purdue(A), Buffalo(H)
    Analysis:
    First, let's call NIU/Cincinnati vs. Western Illinois/SDSU a wash.
    Texas is, of course, a *VASTLY* superior team to Buffalo, so that's a +2 to OSU.
    On the other hand, Purdue is a better team than Michigan State and Wisconsin beat them by 21 points on the road.
    I call that +1 to Wisconsin.
    So - the final tally for uncommon opponents is +1 to OSU.

Final Analysis:
    .5 to OSU.

So, yes, OSU's was harder, barely.
    The visit to Texas (even though they were playing a freshman QB in his 2nd game) was a much sterner test than any of Wisconsin's non-conference opponents, that's for sure.
    However, the rest of OSU's schedule is one laugher after another, except for that 7-point victory over Illinois, the laughingstock of the Big-10.

=Z=

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:

So what?

=Z=

=Z=
    Well, next time look...then comment.
    Wisc had a crappy schedule.
    Did OSU have a tough one?
    No, I never said they did.
    All I said was ND's played as a military academy and Wisc DID have a crappy schedule.

Hell, we played two #2's!

Quit trying to dig with the freshman QB stuff.
    They were a good team regardless and we played at their stadium.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    Florida's fine, but how is Michigan left out?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2685195

Some noteworthy quotes:

There is no polite way of saying it: Michigan got jobbed. Sunday's rankings are Exhibits A-Z why the BCS means well, but simply doesn't work -- and never will.

Lloyd Carr and Michigan lost to No. 1 by three points...and aren't title-game worthy.
    No, it didn't. But did you see who did? Team by the name of Ohio State. Maybe you've heard of the Buckeyes? Undefeated. Ranked first in the country. Beat Michigan in Columbus by the grand total of three whole points.

Just asking, but how did Ali-Frazier II and III work out? Or that Georgetown-Villanova Final Four?

I know Florida's Urban Meyer doesn't want to see a rematch, but he's not exactly an impartial observer, is he? And if Meyer were in Carr's Nikes, I guarantee you his objections to a second Ohio State-Michigan game would have disappeared.

A rematch, this time on a neutral field, would have been a game for the ages. And if you threatened to take away his precious sweater vest if he didn't tell the truth, I bet you Buckeyes' coach Jim Tressel would rather play Florida than have to face the Wolverines again

And look at the one loss each suffered by Florida and Michigan on their schedules. You tell me which defeat was more impressive: the Gators' 10-point road loss to an Auburn team that finished the season No. 9 in the BCS standings? Or the Wolverines' three-point road loss to an Ohio State now favored to win the national championship?

And the BCS penalized Michigan twice for being on the wrong end of the calendar: once when USC moved to No. 2 after beating Notre Dame (even though Michigan beat the Irish worse), and now, when Florida overtook the Wolverines (even though U of M's season ended two weeks ago).

How can you call this a "system" when Florida belongs to a league that plays a conference championship, and Michigan doesn't? How can you call it a quasi-playoff when Michigan drops twice in the standings without losing a game.

Florida has earned the right to play Ohio State. Absolutely true. But so has Michigan

Michigan didn't do a thing wrong. And yet Carr was the one who had to console his team Sunday night. He did it, but here's guessing he wasn't Mr. Congeniality.

Now a quote of myself: SCREW THE BCS!!!

Having recently lived in Michigan for 5 years, I must say . . .

OHIO STATE was NEVER in jeopardy of losing to MICHIGAN.

Michigan played catch-up all day and you could just feel that Ohio State was the better team.

Michigan had their crack and didn't finish the job . . . time for someone else!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast