Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,160

    Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    Florida's fine, but how is Michigan left out?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2685195

    Some noteworthy quotes:

    There is no polite way of saying it: Michigan got jobbed. Sunday's rankings are Exhibits A-Z why the BCS means well, but simply doesn't work -- and never will.

    Lloyd Carr and Michigan lost to No. 1 by three points...and aren't title-game worthy.

    No, it didn't. But did you see who did? Team by the name of Ohio State. Maybe you've heard of the Buckeyes? Undefeated. Ranked first in the country. Beat Michigan in Columbus by the grand total of three whole points.

    Just asking, but how did Ali-Frazier II and III work out? Or that Georgetown-Villanova Final Four?

    I know Florida's Urban Meyer doesn't want to see a rematch, but he's not exactly an impartial observer, is he? And if Meyer were in Carr's Nikes, I guarantee you his objections to a second Ohio State-Michigan game would have disappeared.

    A rematch, this time on a neutral field, would have been a game for the ages. And if you threatened to take away his precious sweater vest if he didn't tell the truth, I bet you Buckeyes' coach Jim Tressel would rather play Florida than have to face the Wolverines again

    And look at the one loss each suffered by Florida and Michigan on their schedules. You tell me which defeat was more impressive: the Gators' 10-point road loss to an Auburn team that finished the season No. 9 in the BCS standings? Or the Wolverines' three-point road loss to an Ohio State now favored to win the national championship?

    And the BCS penalized Michigan twice for being on the wrong end of the calendar: once when USC moved to No. 2 after beating Notre Dame (even though Michigan beat the Irish worse), and now, when Florida overtook the Wolverines (even though U of M's season ended two weeks ago).

    How can you call this a "system" when Florida belongs to a league that plays a conference championship, and Michigan doesn't? How can you call it a quasi-playoff when Michigan drops twice in the standings without losing a game.

    Florida has earned the right to play Ohio State. Absolutely true. But so has Michigan

    Michigan didn't do a thing wrong. And yet Carr was the one who had to console his team Sunday night. He did it, but here's guessing he wasn't Mr. Congeniality.

    Now a quote of myself: SCREW THE BCS!!!

    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

    In AP I trust

  2. #2
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    "farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    Florida's fine, but how is Michigan left out?

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2685195

    Some noteworthy quotes:

    There is no polite way of saying it: Michigan got jobbed. Sunday's rankings are Exhibits A-Z why the BCS means well, but simply doesn't work -- and never will.

    Lloyd Carr and Michigan lost to No. 1 by three points...and aren't title-game worthy.

    No, it didn't. But did you see who did? Team by the name of Ohio State. Maybe you've heard of the Buckeyes? Undefeated. Ranked first in the country. Beat Michigan in Columbus by the grand total of three whole points.

    Just asking, but how did Ali-Frazier II and III work out? Or that Georgetown-Villanova Final Four?

    I know Florida's Urban Meyer doesn't want to see a rematch, but he's not exactly an impartial observer, is he? And if Meyer were in Carr's Nikes, I guarantee you his objections to a second Ohio State-Michigan game would have disappeared.

    A rematch, this time on a neutral field, would have been a game for the ages. And if you threatened to take away his precious sweater vest if he didn't tell the truth, I bet you Buckeyes' coach Jim Tressel would rather play Florida than have to face the Wolverines again

    And look at the one loss each suffered by Florida and Michigan on their schedules. You tell me which defeat was more impressive: the Gators' 10-point road loss to an Auburn team that finished the season No. 9 in the BCS standings? Or the Wolverines' three-point road loss to an Ohio State now favored to win the national championship?

    And the BCS penalized Michigan twice for being on the wrong end of the calendar: once when USC moved to No. 2 after beating Notre Dame (even though Michigan beat the Irish worse), and now, when Florida overtook the Wolverines (even though U of M's season ended two weeks ago).

    How can you call this a "system" when Florida belongs to a league that plays a conference championship, and Michigan doesn't? How can you call it a quasi-playoff when Michigan drops twice in the standings without losing a game.

    Florida has earned the right to play Ohio State. Absolutely true. But so has Michigan

    Michigan didn't do a thing wrong. And yet Carr was the one who had to console his team Sunday night. He did it, but here's guessing he wasn't Mr. Congeniality.

    Now a quote of myself: SCREW THE BCS!!!

    Florida has earned the right to play Ohio State. Absolutely true. But so has Michigan

    Michigan didn't do a thing wrong. And yet Carr was the one who had to console his team Sunday night. He did it, but here's guessing he wasn't Mr. Congeniality.


    Your quotes said it best Florida earned the right to play Ohio State. All things equal Michigan lost to Ohio State, Florida did not.

    Ask yourself this question if Michigan had won and everything ended up the way it has now only ohio st. and michigan had switched places, do you think Ohio State is awarded a rematch or would Florida get the call.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,160

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    I know what your saying. Still sucks. I hate the BCS. Florida did earn it, but Michigan has to. To think I rooted so hard against USC and the only thing that game did was affect Michigan's opponent. It would've been a lot less controversial if USC had gone and one (I'd still be mad that they somehow got ahead of Michigan in the first place). The thing that gets to me is this: if you have only 1 undefeated team, and you have to choose its opponent from two teams, would you take the team that lost by three to the undefeated #1 team, or the team that lost to a team that was at the time ranked 9th (and did that team end up with 1 or 2 losses?) either way, it doesn't seem right.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

    In AP I trust

  4. #4
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    The Gators had a BCS average of .944, and the Wolverines were just behind at .934. The teams were tied in the computer ratings, but Florida had a 38-point lead in the Harris poll and a 26-point advantage in the coaches' poll.

    It's unclear whether that would have helped or whether Meyer swayed some poll voters. Maybe when faced with the possibility of a Michigan-Ohio State rematch, the voters, like Meyer, cringed.

    The only thing that pisses me off is the media trying to make it sound like Urban Meyers is at fault for voicing his opinion. Like he got them the bid because he was vocal about the SEC getting a shot.

    Fans, coaches, and college football watched that game already they wanted a different one. Hopefully some day there will be a playoff, but it is doubtful with the ammount of $$$$$$ involved in the way it is set up now. Schools want that MONEY.

  5. #5
    vikingTurf's Avatar
    vikingTurf is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    134

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    Although both deserved it I guess, someone had to lose out for another one to make it and Michigan lost out to florida. Had MIchigan gone to the finals i bet the same writers and analysts would be making a case for florida and complaining how bcs screwed florida and blah blah......so let's cut the crap and see Florida beat Ohio State in the finals, which will put to rest all this controversy that Michigan deserved a second chance.

  6. #6
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    Although both deserved it I guess, someone had to lose out for another one to make it and Michigan lost out to florida. Had MIchigan gone to the finals i bet the same writers and analysts would be making a case for florida and complaining how bcs screwed florida and blah blah......so let's cut the crap and see Florida beat Ohio State in the finals, which will put to rest all this controversy that Michigan deserved a second chance.
    Yeah...that would shut everyone up, but it's not going to happen.

    I highly doubt there is anyone in the country that can beat Ohio State this year. Michigan was the only one with a shot, IMO, and they're out of it.

  7. #7
    cyviking's Avatar
    cyviking is offline Starter Spectromancer: Gamer's Pack Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    233

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    All Big 10 title game = boring. Fact is Michigan had their shot, stop crying. They are no more deserving than florida. If Michigan or OSU played Floridas schedule I doubt either of them would be better than 12-1.

    I agree that Michigan on a nuteral field just may be better than OSU but its too late now, better luck next year. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

    Michigan fans stop crying already your in a BCS bowl game, your such spoiled brats.I would love for my team to make a bowl game non the less a BCS game.

    Until a playoff system its all we have and florida deserves a crack at number 1.
    "Lurker" turned Poster
    2005-06 The Lost Vikings

  8. #8
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    "cyviking" wrote:
    All Big 10 title game = boring. Fact is Michigan had their shot, stop crying. They are no more deserving than florida. If Michigan or OSU played Floridas schedule I doubt either of them would be better than 12-1.

    I agree that Michigan on a nuteral field just may be better than OSU but its too late now, better luck next year. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

    Michigan fans stop crying already your in a BCS bowl game, your such spoiled brats.I would love for my team to make a bowl game non the less a BCS game.

    Until a playoff system its all we have and florida deserves a crack at number 1.
    I was checking out their regular season schedules and FL was an order of magnitude tougher.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    WisconsinSucks's Avatar
    WisconsinSucks is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    567

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    Although both deserved it I guess, someone had to lose out for another one to make it and Michigan lost out to florida. Had MIchigan gone to the finals i bet the same writers and analysts would be making a case for florida and complaining how bcs screwed florida and blah blah......so let's cut the crap and see Florida beat Ohio State in the finals, which will put to rest all this controversy that Michigan deserved a second chance.
    Yeah...that would shut everyone up, but it's not going to happen.

    I highly doubt there is anyone in the country that can beat Ohio State this year. Michigan was the only one with a shot, IMO, and they're out of it.
    I agree.
    I think the SEC is overrated.
    Who outside of their own conference have those teams beaten?
    They don't play Big Ten, Big 12 teams,
    Arkansas played USC and got smoked.
    They don't play Notre Dame.
    I mean what is this basis that the SEC is the best conference besides just opinion.


    Ohio State will kill Florida.

  10. #10
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Finally, everything I'm thinking in writing: Michigan got jobbed.

    I'm sick of hearing people say "they both deserved it" But Michigan should be in.. If they both deserved it.. Why not give the team who hasn't played them a shot then?

    Also.. Watching the OSU and Mich game.. I say Michigan was lucky to be within 3 points.. Got lucky quite a few times.. OSU dominated them IMO

    Good luck Florida.. They were the deserving team and should put on a good showing for us




    One Love

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. E.J. Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 01:56 AM
  2. Detroit got jobbed by the refs.
    By Purple Floyd in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
  3. Sports Writing
    By DaVizzles in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
  4. MOVED: Sports Writing
    By ultravikingfan in forum Free Beer!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
  5. Writing in runes.
    By so-cal vike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 02:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •