COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Eighth grader commits to USC

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6938958?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10136

For the second straight year, USC basketball coach Tim Floyd has received a verbal commitment from an eighth-grader.

Ryan Boatwright, a speedy 5-foot-10, 145-pound rising freshman point guard from Illinois who has yet to make a decision on where he's headed for high school (he's choosing between East Aurora High and West Aurora High), accepted Floyd's scholarship offer while at USC's camp this past weekend.
    "They were the first one to show interest in Ryan," said Boatwright's father, Mike. "A lot of people have said Ryan isn't that good, but he went to USC's camp and played well."

Boatwright played well enough that Floyd put forth a scholarship offer on the final day of camp. DePaul, Indiana and a few smaller schools had expressed interest, but USC was the first to step up with an offer.

"It shocked me," Mike Boatwright said of the offer. "But Ryan loved it there and he decided on his own."

"The campus is gorgeous," he added. "It's a private school and both myself and his mom were impressed with the academic standards at USC. That's really what got us."

A year ago, Floyd and the Trojans staff stayed local and got a verbal pledge from then-14-year-old Dwayne Polee Jr., a 6-foot-6 forward who had yet to play his first high school game at Westchester High (Calif.).

Mike Boatwright said the biggest concern surrounding his 14-year-old son's decision is the potential local reaction.

"I'm tremendously concerned," he admitted. "It could get ugly as far as kids getting jealous. I also don't want it to get to his head. I want him to stay humble."

Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Eighth grader commits to USC

Insane.

I guess I gotta start working Wildman a bit more.
    No scouts from any college yet for baseball or golf.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

A freakin' 8th grader, c'mon!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

There is no formal offer here as of yet....apparantly Floyd told him he would offer him a scholarship, and the kid will accept.

Nothing binding as of yet

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

jeeez i could only imagine being that good in 8th grade to be offered a scholorship

Thanks josdin00

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"tb04512" wrote:
    jeeez i could only imagine being that good in 8th grade to be offered a scholorship
    You could only wish you were that good now