Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Donovan Will Stay At Florida

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    So Kentucky gets
    Billy Gillispie from Texas A&M. Apparently a fairly good coach but he's been arrested twice for DUI.
    Tha's mild considering Bob Huggins is going to the land of the drunks.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Let's see, Lucky Vike was SO CERTAIN that Donovan would take the job.
    I wonder what he has to say now? "Well, we didn't really want him anyway. There are bertter coaches out there."
    Yea, I am here.
    I fully expected Donovan and he was my first choice.
    I didn't know much about Gillispie but I've been doing a lot of research on him.
    I'm very excited about getting him.
    He has amazing recruiting skills and is one hell of a coach.
    Texas A&M was 0-16 in the Big 12 just before Billy G. got there.
    This season they were 27-7, 6 of their losses were by 3 or less points, most of the year in the top 10 nationally and got a #3 seed.

I'll happily take him.

Another thing, don't try to put words in my mouth or call me out in front of everyone.
    If your feeling like you want to say something to me, just send me a pm.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    So Kentucky gets
    Billy Gillispie from Texas A&M. Apparently a fairly good coach but he's been arrested twice for DUI.
    Wasn't charged with a DUI either of those times.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

I don't get this at all Kentucky Fans.

You fire a guy with a crazy winning percentage and somebody who has won a national title.
    He has been there several years and they seem to always win.

Every coach wants to coach in Kentucky according to UK fans. Kentucky fans said how Donovan would coach in Kentucky because it's his calling. :

Now since Billy said NO WAY! You hire a guy who has never made it to a national title game.
    Heck he hasn't done that much.
    2 sweet sixteen appearances and a recored of 100 wins and 58 losses. Wow all that talk from UK fans was impressive. You really showed those Florida fans didn't you?

Good luck to you next year.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Just remember Kentucky fans that if Gillispie comes and and wins his 1st couple of seasons those are Tubby's recruits, that is what you said about the National Championship that Tubby won that it wasn't his recruits.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Well seing as i'm the only Wildcat/Gator fan around here i'll chip in.Tubby wasnt cutting it.Kentucky hasnt looked anywhere near solid for atleast 2 years.I'm sure its hurting thier chance of getting big name prospects.Donovan was never, ever, ever going to UK.He didnt even consider it.Does this mean Donovan will be a Gator forever? No, I see him taking a NBA head coaching if he continues on the path hes on. I dont like the signing of Gillispie that much, but its not terrible.Its slim pickings right now, and i'm sure UK took who they thought was the premier canidate.

Anyways alot of UK fans got thier hopes up based on rumors alone.I never for one second thought Donovan was gonna go there.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i figured donovan would be sick of playing in 3/4 full arenas in florida and leave for a place where the basketball program is #1
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr." wrote:
    Well seing as i'm the only Wildcat/Gator fan around here i'll chip in.Tubby wasnt cutting it.Kentucky hasnt looked anywhere near solid for atleast 2 years.I'm sure its hurting thier chance of getting big name prospects.Donovan was never, ever, ever going to UK.He didnt even consider it.Does this mean Donovan will be a Gator forever? No, I see him taking a NBA head coaching if he continues on the path hes on. I dont like the signing of Gillispie that much, but its not terrible.Its slim pickings right now, and i'm sure UK took who they thought was the premier canidate.

Anyways alot of UK fans got thier hopes up based on rumors alone.I never for one second thought Donovan was gonna go there.

Most Kentucky fans wanted Rick Pitino to come back, and he shot down that idea real quick, so Billy was your 2nd choice and you couldn't get him either.

Tubby had two 10 game losing seasons in a row?

My God, how dare he!

Tubby's record the last 5 years
    2002-03 - 32-4 (NCAA Elite 8-)
    2003-04 - 27-5 (NCAA tournament)
    2004-05 - 28-6 (NCAA Elite 8-)
    2005-06 - 22-13 (NCAA tournament)
    2006-07 - 22-12 (NCAA tournament)

Lets look at Rick Pitino's record the last 2 years at Louisville.

2005 - 20006
    21 - 13
    (18 - 11) regular season
    NIT invitational
    (he didn't make the NCAA)

Tubby had a better record and made the NCAA tourney!

2006 - 2007
    24 - 10
    NCAA bid but gets knocked out in the 2nd round

Tubby
    22 - 12

Oh my God he lost 2 more games than Rick, both got knocked out of the tourney early.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"PurpleGator" wrote:
    I don't get this at all Kentucky Fans.

You fire a guy with a crazy winning percentage and somebody who has won a national title.
    He has been there several years and they seem to always win.

Every coach wants to coach in Kentucky according to UK fans. Kentucky fans said how Donovan would coach in Kentucky because it's his calling. :

Now since Billy said NO WAY! You hire a guy who has never made it to a national title game.
    Heck he hasn't done that much.
    2 sweet sixteen appearances and a recored of 100 wins and 58 losses. Wow all that talk from UK fans was impressive. You really showed those Florida fans didn't you?

Good luck to you next year.

You are so insular in your view of college hoops.
    Anyone who follows college hoops knows Billy G is a great hire.
    The guy had his choice of jobs.
    Arkansas begged him to come there and threw him a ton of cash.
    Had Rick Barnes been hired at Kentucky, he would have been the top priority for Texas.
    Had Billy D taken the Kentucky job, I garuntee you he would have been one of the top candidates for your school.
    His record for the schools he's been at is incredibly impressive.
    His recruiting is outstanding.
    It may even help your Gators because Deandre Jordan will likely opt out of his committment at aTm and you guys could get a serious look.
    I hope he doesn't because Mark Turgeon is a great guy and deserves a shot to see what he can do.
    aTm is not a basketball school and landing that kid can keep the momentum going that Billy G built but without him, Turgeon will have an uphill climb to keep that program on the map.
    Bottom line is that Kentucky and Tubby had reached the end of the line.
    You keep talking him up while at the same time ripping Kentucky.
    They made the best possible hire.
    Any school in the country is lucky to have Gillispie.
    Your logic for ripping this hire and his career to date is seriously flawed.
    His job at aTm is beyond impressive and I'm sure it's news to you that he damn near built Illinois (as Self's main recruiter) into a team that fell just shy of a title with two guys in the lottery and 5 in the NBA.
    Bottom line is Kentucky will be just fine and will soon become the class of the SEC again.

[color=red]

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Mr." wrote:

Most Kentucky fans wanted Rick Pitino to come back, and he shot down that idea real quick, so Billy was your 2nd choice and you couldn't get him either.

Tubby had two 10 game losing seasons in a row?

My God, how dare he!

Tubby's record the last 5 years

Lets look at Rick Pitino's record the last 2 years at Louisville.

2005 - 20006
    21 - 13
    (18 - 11) regular season
    NIT invitational
    (he didn't make the NCAA)

Tubby had a better record and made the NCAA tourney!

2006 - 2007
    24 - 10
    NCAA bid but gets knocked out in the 2nd round

Tubby
    22 - 12

Oh my God he lost 2 more games than Rick, both got knocked out of the tourney early.

Yeah on paper Tubby's resume over the past 5 or 6 years is better lookin then Rick's.However UK is a [size=10pt]MUCH MUCH MUCH[/size] bigger school/team then louisville.(Where I was born) Tubby without a doubt faced tougher and higher levels of competiton on the regular.Louisville is a shawdow of a school compared to UK.They dont haul in as many highly touted prospects as UK.
    The fact that Patino has brought success to Louisville's basketball team, excited alot of wildcat fans.Also...taken Rick back is like the Gators taken Spurrier back.Spurrier might not be the best college football coach in the land, but they have positive history together.(Him and the School)
    UK's fan base is composed of die hard fans.And seeing thier WildCats look nothin better then average the past 2 seasons dosnt sit right.We're talking about one of the most competitive college basketball teams, ever.(Besides Duke and NC)

Yeah also about those 10 loses, thats pretty bad.
    Since you wanna bring out stats , i'll use your example.

Notice how much better UK did when not losing over 6 games.You cant lose 10 games in college basketball and be successfull.You just cant, its a very competitive sport.

UK is in a tough spot, there isnt alot of quality coaches out there.They took who they felt was the best on the list, and thier gonna see how it pans out.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast