COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Congressman Thinks Colleges Should Pay Athletes

WASHINGTON // A Chicago congressman plans to summon university presidents to a hearing on whether college athletes should be paid, saying athletes are being exploited for their ability to help schools realize "extravagant revenues." Rep. Bobby Rush, chairman of a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee, wants to know why college basketball and football players in particular aren't compensated for logging hundreds of hours for training, practices and games - "free labor," he calls it...

You have to register to read this article in the Baltimore Sun newspaper. So I am just highlighting it to ask what you think.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Congressman Thinks Colleges Should Pay Athletes

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    WASHINGTON // A Chicago congressman plans to summon university presidents to a hearing on whether college athletes should be paid, saying athletes are being exploited for their ability to help schools realize "extravagant revenues." Rep. Bobby Rush, chairman of a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee, wants to know why college basketball and football players in particular aren't compensated for logging hundreds of hours for training, practices and games - "free labor," he calls it...

You have to register to read this article in the Baltimore Sun newspaper. So I am just highlighting it to ask what you think.
    That just gives the richest schools even MORE of an advantage in recruiting...but as long as the pay was the SAME across the board, it would be fair.
    BUT you KNOW that the big schools would cheat on that too anyway!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

They do, they're called scholarships and an education!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I have always been mixed about this. But I know that the schools make a TON of money off their programs. But there are also alot of restrictions that the atheletes get placed on them. I think that there should be a uniform anmount of money allowed to the students. Its been talked about a while so who knows what will happen.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That uniformed amount of money is the money they are getting for a FREE education.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah so tuition can go up for everyone else... Many of these people are receiving a free education, while I will in be debt for who knows how long. These people are the celebrities on campus, and many times receive many benefits such as free tutoring and first pick on classes. They should NOT receive pay.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i dont think they should be getting paid, but there are only a certain amount of people who get scholarships, maybe free room and board?? but there should be some kind of money given back imo.
    These athletes are having kids pick these schools, Texas, USC,
    just now when a team gets good like NCAA's memphis do more people start going there... so i believe these athletes should get some benefits.

Thanks josdin00