Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS IS...

WHILE NOT THE OLDEST, I THINK THE BEST RIVALRY AT ANY LEVEL OF SPORTS, IS NAVY V. ARMY. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!!!
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

Re:THE BEST RIVALRY IN SPORTS IS...

Ugh IDK about that one. I think it is a nice rivalry, I don't think the majority of the country is on the edge of their seat each year for this one. I think Red Sox v. Yanks draws a far greater crowd and is more emotional along with UNC v. Duke and such. Trying to avoid bias here with Vikes v. Packers, but IMO there are far greater rivalries out there then Army v. Navy. It is great in that these kids are going to be putting it all out on the line because many of them are not headed to the NFL anytime soon unlike other schools.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

oaklandzoo24 wrote:
    Ugh IDK about that one. I think it is a nice rivalry, I don't think the majority of the country is on the edge of their seat each year for this one. I think Red Sox v. Yanks draws a far greater crowd and is more emotional along with UNC v. Duke and such. Trying to avoid bias here with Vikes v. Packers, but IMO there are far greater rivalries out there then Army v. Navy. It is great in that these kids are going to be putting it all out on the line because many of them are not headed to the NFL anytime soon unlike other schools.
    They are putting it on the line, because for one day a season(unlike yanks v. sox)the 2 service academies are against one another, not united as one. UNC v. DUKE is all hype, and rarely lives up to it.

As for going to the NFL, who cares. There are MUCH more important things in the world, then going to play a sport professionally. No one has to dodge bullets or has the responsibility of commanding hundreds, in the NBA, NFL or whatever.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

the point of sports rivalries isn't to dodge bullets or command hundreds.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ohio State Vs. Michigan is right up there imho.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Purple Floyd wrote:
    Agreed, but I think Sox-Yankees takes the cake.

Lakers vs. Celtics, Bears vs. Packers are all-time greats, but not what they once were.

Federer-Nadal is huge... but it's tennis.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think to be the best in all of sports it would have to be two elite teams that compete for championships. Army and Navy are not top teams.
    My vote would go to Celtics & Lakers.
    Vikings Packers is right near the top, even more so since Favre switched sides.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    Agreed, but I think Sox-Yankees takes the cake.

Lakers vs. Celtics, Bears vs. Packers are all-time greats, but not what they once were.

Federer-Nadal is huge... but it's tennis.
    I probably can't disagree with that too much. I was just observing that this was in the college ball forum and figured if we started to bring in pro teams that it would no longer fit the forum.

If we are going out of the college ranks then I would have to say Manchester United Vs Liverpool or Real Madrid vs. Barcelona would make yankees- red sox look tame.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think recently, colts/pats deserves some recognition, Seems every year these two teams are playing each other, and they're always great games.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES wrote:
    oaklandzoo24 wrote:
    They are putting it on the line, because for one day a season(unlike yanks v. sox)the 2 service academies are against one another, not united as one. UNC v. DUKE is all hype, and rarely lives up to it.

As for going to the NFL, who cares. There are MUCH more important things in the world, then going to play a sport professionally. No one has to dodge bullets or has the responsibility of commanding hundreds, in the NBA, NFL or whatever.
    I said they were putting it all on the line. I don't disagree at all, I just feel, atleast for myself, I'd rather see Sox v. Yanks, UNC v. Duke, Minny v. Green Bay, Lakers v. Celtics.... over the Army Navy game. But whatever floats your boat is fine with me.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast