Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 162
  1. #31
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "singersp" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Well, as one of the "senior members" (age wise anyway), let me put in my two cents worth.
    I remember some of my first posts and how I was afraid to post anything controversial for fear of getting slammed by people on here who had a lot more football knowledge than I do. Heck, I don't have much football knowledge but the "single wing" which was played by everyone when I was playing.
    Anyway, I came on slow and eventually seemed to be "one of the gang" here. And I thank people like Shock, Webby, Singer, Ned, and SIA for helping me out. I had a couple of difficulties with some senior members but we talked it over in PM's and got things ironed out.
    Now I go to KFAN's Rube Site occasionally and I see people saying things there to each other with words I wouldn't post even if I wasn't a pastor. In fact that seems to be the whole reason for their exsistance -- to put down other people. But that has not been a problem here except when someone comes in with a "know it all" attitude and tries to bully their way around. Our moderators have done a good job of weening out the trouble-makers and making this a board that allows people to express strong opinions but they better have the facts to back them up or they are gonna get ripped by some very knowledgeable football fans.
    Be nice to "newbies?" of course. But only to the point of knowing that everyone has the right to an opinion but that opinion maker better have two things: 1) Some facts to back up their argument; and 2) Have the guts to know that others may have other viewpoints and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling.
    Great post!
    ??? Cojo said what I was talking about here & you're telling us to cut them some slack.

    and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling
    They should be held to that same rule whether they have 1 post or 12,000
    It isn't about the post count, vet or newb. It is about being responsible.
    People with the knowledge and know how have the responsibility to pass it on in a constructive manner whether it is on this website or in day to day life in the real world.


    Cojo's post was great in the fact that he put it all together from newb to vet with insight on a personal level.

    ******

    Snobum, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular.
    The point was to have a meaningful discussion or some reflection.

  2. #32
    marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    Well I just sent newb in question a pm and hopefully mended fenced just for good measure.
    -Sno

  3. #33
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Well, as one of the "senior members" (age wise anyway), let me put in my two cents worth.
    I remember some of my first posts and how I was afraid to post anything controversial for fear of getting slammed by people on here who had a lot more football knowledge than I do. Heck, I don't have much football knowledge but the "single wing" which was played by everyone when I was playing.
    Anyway, I came on slow and eventually seemed to be "one of the gang" here. And I thank people like Shock, Webby, Singer, Ned, and SIA for helping me out. I had a couple of difficulties with some senior members but we talked it over in PM's and got things ironed out.
    Now I go to KFAN's Rube Site occasionally and I see people saying things there to each other with words I wouldn't post even if I wasn't a pastor. In fact that seems to be the whole reason for their exsistance -- to put down other people. But that has not been a problem here except when someone comes in with a "know it all" attitude and tries to bully their way around. Our moderators have done a good job of weening out the trouble-makers and making this a board that allows people to express strong opinions but they better have the facts to back them up or they are gonna get ripped by some very knowledgeable football fans.
    Be nice to "newbies?" of course. But only to the point of knowing that everyone has the right to an opinion but that opinion maker better have two things: 1) Some facts to back up their argument; and 2) Have the guts to know that others may have other viewpoints and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling.
    Great post!
    ??? Cojo said what I was talking about here & you're telling us to cut them some slack.

    and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling
    They should be held to that same rule whether they have 1 post or 12,000
    It isn't about the post count, vet or newb. It is about being responsible.
    People with the knowledge and know how have the responsibility to pass it on in a constructive manner whether it is on this website or in day to day life in the real world.


    Cojo's post was great in the fact that he put it all together from newb to vet with insight on a personal level.

    ******

    Snobum, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular.
    The point was to have a meaningful discussion or some reflection.
    That is correct, but not what I see happening here.

    While Marrdro's comment may have been uncalled for & provoked Marstc09, who has been around here long enough, his personal attack on Marrdro was also uncalled for. Plus he refused to appologize for it.

    What I saw transpire, was that Marrdro was instructed to appologize for his post, yet Marstc09 was given a pat on the back for a job well done. By doing so, he was given a license to insult.

    That kind of shit irks the hell out of me.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  4. #34
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "singersp" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    This question just dawned on me.

    Taking my ball and going home.......?

    Why would "I'm leaving" be someones first thought after reading my original post?


    This site has its ebbs and flows, one needs to roll with the site.
    Because what I took out of your post is that if I was called a "jerk" or to "get a life" from a newb, I should just take it in the jiggly butt & move on.

    I won't provoke it, but if it happens to me, I won't just let it slide.

    If your saying I must & it happens to often because newbs will be allowed to do so, I don't have to stay here & take it.

    Keep in mind, PP.O. is also a privilage for the newbs as well.


    Somethings they should be allowed slack in, other things not.
    From what Cojo mentioned, it sounds like it is worse at other places than it is here.
    I wouldn't know, I will take Cojo's word on that.
    I haven't gone looking.

    Now as far as slack, there has been a ton of that given around here, to everyone that is a member.

    I know exactly what post you keep referring to and I know exactly how it was handled. I also know that it has been resolved.
    It was a learning experience for everyone involved including me.
    They have already let it go!
    The one important point I want to pull from that thread, is that when the silent majority starts to speak out in defense of the downtrodden, then that is an opinion that needs to be heard.

    What does one want me to say?
    Really...... Do you think that I am going to say that it is open hunting season toward those posted least? Or that we need to start hazing all that post? Or that because one is a HOFer that he automatically demands respect from others?


    **It has and always will be based on respect, the gaining and giving of it.**

  5. #35
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "singersp" wrote:

    That is correct, but not what I see happening here.

    While Marrdro's comment may have been uncalled for & provoked Marstc09, who has been around here long enough, his personal attack on Marrdro was also uncalled for. Plus he refused to appologize for it.

    What I saw transpire, was that Marrdro was instructed to appologize for his post, yet Marstc09 was given a pat on the back for a job well done. By doing so, he was given a license to insult.

    That kind of pooh irks the hell out of me.
    Same here!
    You can say without a doubt that it happened exactly like you say it did?
    Do you know how it really transpired?



  6. #36
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

    That is correct, but not what I see happening here.

    While Marrdro's comment may have been uncalled for & provoked Marstc09, who has been around here long enough, his personal attack on Marrdro was also uncalled for. Plus he refused to appologize for it.

    What I saw transpire, was that Marrdro was instructed to appologize for his post, yet Marstc09 was given a pat on the back for a job well done. By doing so, he was given a license to insult.

    That kind of pooh irks the hell out of me.
    Same here!

    You can say without a doubt that it happened exactly like you say it did?
    Do you know how it really transpired?


    I can say without a doubt that is exactly how I perceive it based on what I know & what I read in that thread. That is what I have to go on & others as well.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #37
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "singersp" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Well, as one of the "senior members" (age wise anyway), let me put in my two cents worth.
    I remember some of my first posts and how I was afraid to post anything controversial for fear of getting slammed by people on here who had a lot more football knowledge than I do. Heck, I don't have much football knowledge but the "single wing" which was played by everyone when I was playing.
    Anyway, I came on slow and eventually seemed to be "one of the gang" here. And I thank people like Shock, Webby, Singer, Ned, and SIA for helping me out. I had a couple of difficulties with some senior members but we talked it over in PM's and got things ironed out.
    Now I go to KFAN's Rube Site occasionally and I see people saying things there to each other with words I wouldn't post even if I wasn't a pastor. In fact that seems to be the whole reason for their exsistance -- to put down other people. But that has not been a problem here except when someone comes in with a "know it all" attitude and tries to bully their way around. Our moderators have done a good job of weening out the trouble-makers and making this a board that allows people to express strong opinions but they better have the facts to back them up or they are gonna get ripped by some very knowledgeable football fans.
    Be nice to "newbies?" of course. But only to the point of knowing that everyone has the right to an opinion but that opinion maker better have two things: 1) Some facts to back up their argument; and 2) Have the guts to know that others may have other viewpoints and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling.
    Great post!
    ??? Cojo said what I was talking about here & you're telling us to cut them some slack.

    and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling
    They should be held to that same rule whether they have 1 post or 12,000
    It isn't about the post count, vet or newb. It is about being responsible.
    People with the knowledge and know how have the responsibility to pass it on in a constructive manner whether it is on this website or in day to day life in the real world.


    Cojo's post was great in the fact that he put it all together from newb to vet with insight on a personal level.

    ******

    Snobum, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular.
    The point was to have a meaningful discussion or some reflection.
    That is correct, but not what I see happening here.

    While Marrdro's comment may have been uncalled for & provoked Marstc09, who has been around here long enough, his personal attack on Marrdro was also uncalled for. Plus he refused to appologize for it.

    What I saw transpire, was that Marrdro was instructed to appologize for his post, yet Marstc09 was given a pat on the back for a job well done. By doing so, he was given a license to insult.

    That kind of shit irks the hell out of me.
    My whole theory is we, as vets on this site, basically shape the way this board will be. If you want it to be 30 guys talking vikings football, fine insult away.

    As vets, I just think there is a responsibility to not create stupid threads, or thread hijack. In this case, if Marrdro had simply gave his opinion, which we all know he loves to do, things would have been fine.

    I understand where everybody is coming from. I'm allergic to stupid people so I don't like to see threads like that either. However, like I said in the thread, a lot of great posters made bad posts. The thread was derailed in about 3 posts. When I was a new poster the same things happened to my threads and I hated it. You are trying to have a good discussion and someone derails it (we have all been guilty of this, myself included). I guess my whole point is the whole situation is entirely avoidable.

    If you act a like a jerk, you are going to be called a jerk, whether you are a newb or an old-timer. Next time, instead of assuming the newb was in the wrong, assess the situation. Ask yourself, why is he calling me a jerk?

    In my honest opinion, the newb did nothing wrong in that thread. People made a series of sarcastic comments towards him, and then when he showed his frustration, people again lashed out at him. For a random analogy, that is like stabbing a Tiger until he bites your leg off, and then shooting the tiger because he bit your leg off. Don't stab the tiger in the first place.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  8. #38
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    9,512

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!



    Singer and Marrdro..... LMAO







    I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

  9. #39
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    This question just dawned on me.

    Taking my ball and going home.......?

    Why would "I'm leaving" be someones first thought after reading my original post?


    This site has its ebbs and flows, one needs to roll with the site.
    Because what I took out of your post is that if I was called a "jerk" or to "get a life" from a newb, I should just take it in the jiggly butt & move on.

    I won't provoke it, but if it happens to me, I won't just let it slide.

    If your saying I must & it happens to often because newbs will be allowed to do so, I don't have to stay here & take it.

    Keep in mind, PP.O. is also a privilage for the newbs as well.


    Somethings they should be allowed slack in, other things not.
    From what Cojo mentioned, it sounds like it is worse at other places than it is here.
    I wouldn't know, I will take Cojo's word on that.
    I haven't gone looking.

    Now as far as slack, there has been a ton of that given around here, to everyone that is a member.

    I know exactly what post you keep referring to and I know exactly how it was handled. I also know that it has been resolved.
    It was a learning experience for everyone involved including me.
    They have already let it go!
    The one important point I want to pull from that thread, is that when the silent majority starts to speak out in defense of the downtrodden, then that is an opinion that needs to be heard.

    What does one want me to say?
    Really...... Do you think that I am going to say that it is open hunting season toward those posted least?
    Or that we need to start hazing all that post? Or that because one is a HOFer that he automatically demands respect from others?


    **It has and always will be based on respect, the gaining and giving of it.**
    Nope, I would have felt the same way if the tables were turned. To me post count doesn't mean shit, other than defining whether or not a person is a newb. Even that doesn't accurately tell as there are posters here with very few posts that have been around awhile.


    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #40
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

    Wow, ok PHoD just made a ridiculously bad post. I advise hot-blooded ones to simply ignore, but if you can't and bash him, well its kind of deserved.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The New PP.O (to senior members and anyone else)
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 12:21 AM
  2. Senior members - those you just hate
    By cogitans in forum Hall of Famers Speak
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 05:11 AM
  3. Senior members
    By cogitans in forum Hall of Famers Speak
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
  4. Senior Bowl 2006
    By vikesoto in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2006, 03:45 AM
  5. Senior Pix...
    By V4L in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •