Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Senior Members.. Thoughts!

"Prophet" wrote:
    If the 'let's hold hands' crowd takes over the site there is no reason to be here.
    One of the reasons this site is palatable compared to the thousands of other NFL sites is because people don't get by with posting complete crap that is unsupported.
    That is one of the reasons this site rises above the ashes of other sites.

If a newb isn't capable of seeing the different personalities on the site...and if they are born without a spine and with a fragile ego....maybe they can find another site.
    You will have to ban me before I quit ripping on idiotic posts.

I expect people to do the same to me.
    If I post crap that is pulled out of my jiggly butt, call me on it.
    People that are knowledgeable about the game and not afraid to call someone out are the type of people that make this site better, not worse.

Come on Prophet, when have we all held hands.

You said it right.....

Rip the post, not the person that posted.

I agree with Ultra, newbies can't be expected to know the ropes.
    HOFers have been around for a long time.
    We have just about seen it all here at PPO but newbies haven't.
    I would not put an exact number on it, but if someone has over a hundred posts, that person has read enough to know what they are getting into.
    If they haven't been reading, and trying to run up their post count, then that person's posts might well deserve a contrary point of view.

For the record, I definitely don't consider someone with 300 posts a newbie.

The problem that makes this site (or any site) unattractive is when members need to strut or seem to think they have ownership by association to PPO.
    A member owns their own words.
    It is great that we feel a sense of community and some sense of pride in PPO that is what makes PPO what it is.
    We need to remember, that Webby has opened up this (his) home to us and we are guest.
    It is impolite to drink all of Webby's gin and pee on his cat and in his closets.

PPO isn't a place where we should come to feel superior to others (like the inferior cat).
    I think that we all know that, but sometimes it is easy to forget.

We don't have to all agree with each other in our posts.
    Even with this post, some will see it for what it is, to promote some good will and other will take it as an insult that they were reminded about something they don't need to worry about because they will continue to do what they want because it doesn't pertain to them or it isn't a problem. Diversity is needed.
    Personalities are also needed.

This question just dawned on me.

Taking my ball and going home.......?

Why would "I'm leaving" be someones first thought after reading my original post?

This site has its ebbs and flows, one needs to roll with the site.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Well, as one of the "senior members" (age wise anyway), let me put in my two cents worth.
    I remember some of my first posts and how I was afraid to post anything controversial for fear of getting slammed by people on here who had a lot more football knowledge than I do. Heck, I don't have much football knowledge but the "single wing" which was played by everyone when I was playing.
    Anyway, I came on slow and eventually seemed to be "one of the gang" here. And I thank people like Shock, Webby, Singer, Ned, and SIA for helping me out. I had a couple of difficulties with some senior members but we talked it over in PM's and got things ironed out.
    Now I go to KFAN's Rube Site occasionally and I see people saying things there to each other with words I wouldn't post even if I wasn't a pastor. In fact that seems to be the whole reason for their exsistance -- to put down other people. But that has not been a problem here except when someone comes in with a "know it all" attitude and tries to bully their way around. Our moderators have done a good job of weening out the trouble-makers and making this a board that allows people to express strong opinions but they better have the facts to back them up or they are gonna get ripped by some very knowledgeable football fans.
    Be nice to "newbies?" of course. But only to the point of knowing that everyone has the right to an opinion but that opinion maker better have two things: 1) Some facts to back up their argument; and 2) Have the guts to know that others may have other viewpoints and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Well, as one of the "senior members" (age wise anyway), let me put in my two cents worth.
    I remember some of my first posts and how I was afraid to post anything controversial for fear of getting slammed by people on here who had a lot more football knowledge than I do. Heck, I don't have much football knowledge but the "single wing" which was played by everyone when I was playing.
    Anyway, I came on slow and eventually seemed to be "one of the gang" here. And I thank people like Shock, Webby, Singer, Ned, and SIA for helping me out. I had a couple of difficulties with some senior members but we talked it over in PM's and got things ironed out.
    Now I go to KFAN's Rube Site occasionally and I see people saying things there to each other with words I wouldn't post even if I wasn't a pastor. In fact that seems to be the whole reason for their exsistance -- to put down other people. But that has not been a problem here except when someone comes in with a "know it all" attitude and tries to bully their way around. Our moderators have done a good job of weening out the trouble-makers and making this a board that allows people to express strong opinions but they better have the facts to back them up or they are gonna get ripped by some very knowledgeable football fans.
    Be nice to "newbies?" of course. But only to the point of knowing that everyone has the right to an opinion but that opinion maker better have two things: 1) Some facts to back up their argument; and 2) Have the guts to know that others may have other viewpoints and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling.
    Great post!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Great post!
    ??? Cojo said what I was talking about here & you're telling us to cut them some slack.

and have the fortitude to accept criticism without name calling
    They should be held to that same rule whether they have 1 post or 12,000

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    This question just dawned on me.

Taking my ball and going home.......?

Why would "I'm leaving" be someones first thought after reading my original post?

This site has its ebbs and flows, one needs to roll with the site.
    Because what I took out of your post is that if I was called a "jerk" or to "get a life" from a newb, I should just take it in the ass & move on.

I won't provoke it, but if it happens to me, I won't just let it slide.

If your saying I must & it happens to often because newbs will be allowed to do so, I don't have to stay here & take it.

Keep in mind, PP.O. is also a privilage for the newbs as well.

Somethings they should be allowed slack in, other things not.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"singersp" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

When a newb gets backed into a corner by the veterans around here you cannot blame them for calling a vet a jerk and to get a life (cause they see 3,854,848,731 posts of that member).
    That's where we disagree. A newb should still be held to the same accountability for personal attacks, just like senior members. They should not be an exception to this rule.

They can still make their point tactfully & using netiquitte.

Repeated threads & duplicate articles I can understand.

A lot of the so called "Newbs" may be a nrwb to this site, but that doesn't mean they are a newb to forums such as this. Most forums have the same basic rules.
    Accountability if it is a repeated offense.
    Can you blame somebody for being ganged-up on around here or anywhere?
    It's human nature to lash out when provoked.

I do not know, or could care less, whether they are new to forums or not.
    We should assume they are not and not jump out and cut their throats off the bat.
    A lot of people have left PP.O for this reason, some have not.

It simple, if a new member wants to express him or herself they have every right.
    They do not need to be attacked or reminded by 3 members that we already have discussed that for the last 3 months.
    I little helpful insight can go a long way around here.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I understand that I am probably one of those that this message is aimed at.

Let me first say that, aside from the occasional moral slip, I would never try to rip someone down for who they are. Any attacks I make on this board I have tried and will try harder henceforth to aim at the topic or opinion being discussed therein.

Secondly, I want to echo a part of what has been said here. I also put up with my share of crap when I first joined, but I kept at it and broke through. And now I couldn't feel more at home than I do when bsing with you dudes.

So I guess that may be where some see a little entitlement. Its like hazing in high school or in the locker room. The rooks go through it, then dish it out once they've paid their dues...
    -Sno

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    I understand that I am probably one of those that this message is aimed at.

Let me first say that, aside from the occasional moral slip, I would never try to rip someone down for who they are. Any attacks I make on this board I have tried and will try harder henceforth to aim at the topic or opinion being discussed therein.

Secondly, I want to echo a part of what has been said here. I also put up with my share of crap when I first joined, but I kept at it and broke through. And now I couldn't feel more at home than I do when bsing with you dudes.

So I guess that may be where some see a little entitlement. Its like hazing in high school or in the locker room. The rooks go through it, then dish it out once they've paid their dues...
    Your such a dumb fuck!

JK!
    Thought I would try and alter the sour mood this thread is glistening with.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast