Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: For Our Site Leaders

First of all, I'm flattered to be considered a "leader" of purplepride.
    Secondly, did anyone else get 4 copies of the same email about this.
    Was this to prove the point of not wanting to read multiple copies of what are essentially the same thread???

As someone who really doesn't spend a lot of time on here, especially compared to the cajun's and del rio's of the world, I kind of would like to defend, in a way, some of the new members.
    Granted we've had our fair share of idiots and people who are really easily offended when the world does not agree with them, but as far as some of the threads that get posted by new members without realizing that a month ago someone posted the exact same thing.
    I personally, about 90% of the time only look at the Top 10 or the New Replies to my posts.
    I know
    I don't get excited about the prospect of thumbing through a 40 page thread, and although I don't create a lot of new threads, some of the new members may see these huge threads, and be intimidated or simply not have the time to read through everything before they actually share some of their thoughts and/or opinions.
    Then, when a member with 15 posts starts a new thread, the first couple responses they get are from people that actually spend a few hours a day on this site, and usually telling them "Hey Buddy, thread exists already, why didn't you look it up."
    That really doesn't make people feel that welcome.
    What may make more sense than locking threads like this is actually have a "Newcomer's forum", where they can not only break themselves in, but if they happen to either touch on a topic that's already been discussed (which is sure to happen), or touch a nerve, it should be less of an issue.
    Just a thought.
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

Del Rio Guest

I wish we had some real numbers here, because I am willing to bet that this is a massive generalization of our members reacting to duplicate posts.

There is a difference between a guy making a post that there are three of in the latest talk and a guy making a post that has been made 3 months ago.

You probably also have to account for the time of the post. A guy makes a post about benching Brad Johnson a day before a game is going to be treated differently from someone creating a new account and calling for his head the same day our team loses by 3.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    Noone is changing in relation to Prophet.

This has been an issue for me for some time.
    And others.

The thread rating helps maybe in what Del Rio said.
    Or the Leaders doing infractions.

However, the community aspects are important.
    Some younger members may not have the football chops to spew statistics.
    Maybe they simply believe what they want.
    Nothing is wrong with that if they can back it up, right, with an opinion?

This is the strongest community I have been to in which we can also mention other things...people feel comfortable sharing with this group.

That is important.

Prophet always posting news to trick people...that got old.
    The gathered some ill-will.
    Many of his other posts are great.

So did I care?
    Not really.
    Let him be a member and enjoy himself.
    This is not about micromanaging people.
    This is about guiding a community via the leadership.

My biggest issues (in no order):
    Thread Hijacking
    Unwarranted newbie bashing; warranted certainly okay
    No gentle ways to control and train newbies
    (community feedback for getting people in line)
    No 5 strikes and you're out policy (or whatever)
    Upturn in actual football analysis but the perception is less
    Community strength is potential weakness (bridge those gaps)
    Mod actions or lack of action

I feel like I have a handle on 3 and 4 in our transition.
    On 3, I have long felt that there should be a way to get newbies to actually READ the rules before they can actually join...maybe a SHORT quiz that they have to answer before they join (only a question or two, where they can get the answers from the rules section).
    It's tricky, because they might figure that it isn't worth the effort...but maybe to get FULL privileges during a probationary period, they might have to answer the short quiz.
    I think that if they realize how important it is to follow a few simple rules in order to make this a more enjoyable board, then we might get better cooperation on this issue.
    This is on the right track Cajun. Maybe they can only answer posts during probation and not start new threads until they take a quiz on the rules of posting.

There are some really young kids on the site, and this would help them learn forum etiquette.

I've been really busy with classes, but try to read some in the evening. Why did Prophet leave? I thought I saw a post from him this morning but with no extra'a by his name (avatar etc.)

I know I had a hard time finding my little nitch here, and stay mostly to Clubhouse posts. I do read the Viking Forum, but singer does a great job at the news.
    If I see something interesting I ask him first if it's been posted because I can't work the search thing here for some reason.

I love the atmosphere here! We're all friends, and I like that. I recommend this site to everyone!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Well, I don't think I fall into the category of "site leader" anymore.
    But since I'm spending some time on PP.O again, I thought I would give my opinion.
    I like the idea of a new members forum and I don't know about all the technical stuff but maybe after a certain number of posts they gain access to the rest of the forums.
    The only problem I see is that it might get boring for the less intellectually challenged people right off the bat and then they might not want to get to the 20 posts necessary and we end up weeding out the people we actually want to be posting the most...

Also, no one likes to be atacked for their opinion right off the bat and especially in really demeaning, insulting, and sarcastic ways. So, perhaps the leaders of site should try to make it a point to not set that precedent.
    It just doesn't make it fun because then when you do have people with opinions that are worth hearing you alleinate them because you disagree with 1 or 2 points they made out of 10.
    Now you've made nice guys who usually make good points and want to debate not want to come back and the only guys you have left are idiots who want to start and be in fights about a stupid opinion of theirs.

I don't really have a solution except to lead by example, point out good posts and ignore bad ones (as opposed to bashing whoever wrote them).
    What I mean by this is don't mean ignore posts that you disagree with, because you should debate in those but ignore stupid comments, I think you all know what I mean.

Anyway, thats my two cents.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Ok...whew...that took awhile to read.
    I guess I saw this coming, but not the personal email from Prohpet.

Anywho, there was so much put out here; so I am sorry if I miss or do not touch on anything.
    There are a lot of great ideas here by many.

As far as dealing with newbs:
    I have feilded a lot of PM's and emails from members about how PP.O is becoming less fun and a little "teen".
    I do not know if this is such a bad thing, or if it is a good thing.
    I have noticed the % of content/quality posts decline in the past several months.
    However, I attributed this to PP.O's popularity.
    I mean we cannot have a site where every member is a class act, we are going to have some people get off the short school bus and sign up.
    We get the people who come in a go on a post frenzy and post random stuff.
    I always PM these people with a friendly welcome and PM.
    90% are cool as hell and I have become great friends with these people.
    Some are asshats and a more harsh attitude in needed.
    They persist...members jump on them...they may learn their lesson that thier punk attitude is not flying around here.
    But, I have never really agreed with people coming right out and telling a newer member it has been posted.
    I will usually merge or lock and then give them a PM.
    I have coached dozens and dozens through the process.
    I know that there have been times where maybe I was a little too harsh, I have never claimed to be perfect.

I will try to look at some of the other opinions here.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    OK, I'm just gonna throw in my 2c here and then let it drop.
    For me, this site isn't "fun" any more. I almost afraid to post something in fear of getting called out.
    Without mentioning any names, let me tell you of a personal experience.
    Singer is the "newshound" of this site but I used to do my fair share. Sometimes I doubled up on this but always felt like a jerk when I did and apologized. In most cases it was my fault anyway.
    But a couple of months ago Singer was on vacation. I started posting news articles in his absence. I got called out for it. Old rules were posted and new rules made up. (I won't go into a lot of detail here about that.) But what really peed me off was the person who posted the "rules" then went ahead and started doing exactly what I was doing and broke his rules himself.
    For instance -- one of the rules was post the headline and then a couple of sentences and a link to the article. Well, this rule was broken time and time again by the person who told me what to do.
    I understand rules but it seems like some people are above the rules and love to call people's attention to their little mistakes while making the same mistakes themselves.
    That has caused me to pretty much stop posting althogh I still come in here two or three times a day and read stuff.
    It's still the best Vikings Forum around and I've made some good friends here who I admire.
    Anyway, just my two cents worth.
    You can go ahead and just say "ultra" with this.
    we are all adults and I can take any criticism that may be out there.

First of all, there was NOTHING wrong with you posting articles.
    I had zero problems with that.
    What I had a problem with was you would post an article about, lets say Brad.
    Then 2 articles later there would be another Brad article pretty much about the same thing.
    I PM'd you a lot and you would never reply.
    You just kept on going and going.
    I even sought out webby's advice on this.

I have no idea what you are referring to with "Old Rules" and "New Rules".
    I never, ever told you to post the headline and then a link.
    No way, now how.
    That is just completely false!
    You are really calling into question my character as a man here.
    I do not tell somebody how to do something and then do the opposite.
    I am sorry Cojo, you are a good guy and I have always enjoyed you, but you are wrong on that my friend.

Back in April and May the duplicate article and such were getting way out of hand.
    So much that I made a Sticky on it in the Fan Forum called "Thinking of starting a new thread?"
    I would lock and then link people to it, it was bad.
    And being the total nutjob I am, I kept track of everybody's duplicates.
    I have it on an Excel file.
    I did it for less than 2 months.
    Mainly because some members would just argue that they do check and do not post duplicate stuff.
    And do you want to take a guess at which member is tied for the most?
    I PM'd you over a dozen times hardly ever getting a response.

I am sorry for the rant.
    Call me g-a-y, a closet Packer Fan, whatever.
    But do not say I did something that I did not do!

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Remember folks, this is not a bitch at each other session.
    This is all constructive criticism.
    I am looking for constructive ways we can help lead the community.
    I think there have been very good ideas and discussion.

Thanks for continuing to participate.

Crux issues:
    the general mood of the site, treating newbies, treating differing opinions.

If someone truly believes that Tavaris will be good, is he wrong?
    If he is posting like an asshat to get his point across, then he is wrong in my book.
    If he states his reasons though, then okay.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Prophet left?
    ???
    I must have missed that thread.

I agree with Jdoggs comments.
    As this site grows it is impossible to keep up with every single thread or read through pages of posts on a hot topic.
    The problem with the search is the way in which people title their threads.
    If you are looking for a thread about Moss and the thread is titled "My thoughts".
    Well that doesn't work.
    I don't read all the threads in here and its unrealistic to think that new members will look through all the postings for the last two months in order to catch up.

Also I hear people complaining about Moss and Pep threads as if all talk about them should be banned.
    They are big name football players.
    They are mentioned almost every day on some sports program or other.
    What is the problem with talking about them..
    Maybe for some of us the subject has been exhausted but remember we are getting about 6-10 new members a day that may not have discussed this before.
    If you don't want to talk about it,
    don't look at it.

The truth about posting forum rules is that you post them so that you can enforce them, not because you expect people to read them.
    That's the truth of forums.
    You can say RTFM all you want but you will be lucky if 10% do.
    Its like "read the terms of service before you install this program", how many of us just click the "yes I accept box"?
    I bet every single one of you reading this post.
    Forums are only as good as their Mods and Admin.
    You encourage people to be self policing and if that doesn't happen then you police them.
    Forums are a dictatorship not a democracy.
    Again they are only as good as the people that run them.
    The real key is consistent enforcement by the Mods.
    If one mod is hammering people and another is not that is confusing.
    Or if the mods let a long time member get away with things but not a newbie that is not good either.

I think this board is really well run.
    As it grows what used to be occasional problems will occur more often.
    Its just sheer numbers.
    As it grows we will get duplicate posts its just the nature of the beast.
    That's what mods are for.
    And long time members like those in this forum are basically their support group and help them out if they see problems.

In some of the really big tech forums that I belong to the mods often select some of the more active members to help them monitor the posts for content.
    That may be something worth looking at if the mods are feeling overwelmed with the amount of things they have to read.
    If a mod assistant finds a problem they inform the mod so they can take a look at it.

WWBGD

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"JDogg926" wrote:
    First of all, I'm flattered to be considered a "leader" of purplepride.
    Secondly, did anyone else get 4 copies of the same email about this.
    Was this to prove the point of not wanting to read multiple copies of what are essentially the same thread???

As someone who really doesn't spend a lot of time on here, especially compared to the cajun's and del rio's of the world, I kind of would like to defend, in a way, some of the new members.
    Granted we've had our fair share of idiots and people who are really easily offended when the world does not agree with them, but as far as some of the threads that get posted by new members without realizing that a month ago someone posted the exact same thing.
    I personally, about 90% of the time only look at the Top 10 or the New Replies to my posts.
    I know
    I don't get excited about the prospect of thumbing through a 40 page thread, and although I don't create a lot of new threads, some of the new members may see these huge threads, and be intimidated or simply not have the time to read through everything before they actually share some of their thoughts and/or opinions.
    Then, when a member with 15 posts starts a new thread, the first couple responses they get are from people that actually spend a few hours a day on this site, and usually telling them "Hey Buddy, thread exists already, why didn't you look it up."
    That really doesn't make people feel that welcome.
    What may make more sense than locking threads like this is actually have a "Newcomer's forum", where they can not only break themselves in, but if they happen to either touch on a topic that's already been discussed (which is sure to happen), or touch a nerve, it should be less of an issue.
    Just a thought.
    I goofed.
    Sorry about that.
    This forum = pain in my ass.
    I will post a link to what the new one looks like for all you guys.

How about I come up with a short list of ideas for handling some of these things, and we can discuss specific points?
    I will wait to make the lisst for a day or so to allow others to get their opinions in.

I think it should be noted that I value each of your inputs, and I think people know that.
    I am always open to discussion about the site, and that should be clear especially to you folks that have made the investment of time and energy here.
    Your opinions and needs far outweigh some flamer from another board.

I will agree, like you say, sometimes the little dupe threads pictures we find funny offend others.
    Do we need to specifically worry about it in every instance?
    Probably not.
    I got unbelievably tired of seeing it happen though.
    I am more than willing to "let it go" in general to allow each person to be their own person on here.

This, again, is being conducted because you all choose to stay here, read here, post here, signed up for one reason or another.
    I always think, what attracted that person to sign up here, and are we still upholding that excellence?
    I will always try to put out the best product possible for a one man developer operation.
    It can't work without the support of all leaders here.....this is a wonderful place and introspection is never a bad thing.
    If you don't feel comfortable saying it here, email me.
    I am always open to feedback.
    Its what built this site.
    I haven't managed 7,000 free spirits before or a board like this....its all about making good decisions along the way and accepting criticism.
    I spend all day wrangling political people and trying to get federal and state agencies to play along in the name of national security...this place is a relief to me; less BS, more fun.
    I am sure others have the same feeling.

Thanks again.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Del... I like your idea of us taking newbies under our wings.
    I think it would be nice when I new member joins, one of us claims them and sends them a nice personalized PM welcoming them to the site, giving them the guidelines and letting them know we're here for them with any questions.

It might be a little extra work on our part but maybe some of us mods can just take the time and PM the new members for that day.
    Shouldn't take too long!

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast