Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: For Our Site Leaders

"Webby" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    i haven't really been posting a lot lately because i have been super busy with school so i don't know to the full extent of how bad these people are.

if anything, instead of ragging on them for posting useless crap, we need to encourage them to post more useful stuff. when most people move into a new community, they just want to fit in at whatever cost. same thing with a forum. it is really hard to get into the main circle of the group of regular posters.

so maybe instead of ripping them a new hole to shoot things out of, we can be more kind to them and suggest use of the search function instead of the create new topic function. you could do this by a PM to them, or just quote there message in the new topic they made and remind them to do it the right way. if they don't listen, ban/suspend them. thats pretty simple.

and remember: we want more people to post and share their opinions. as long as it is useful.
    I agree...but what is useful to some, may not be useful to others...we all need to understand that as long as it is not BLATENTLY offensive, we just need to let it roll off of our backs and move on to the next thread.
    That's my question...will thread ratings help?

People can leave a rating on a thread....and will that be enough to have people not look at the the stupid ones....

Or will that also lead to gang mentality.

I like it myself, thread ratings.
    I use them at other places all the time to decide where to invest my time.

I could do top ten vikings talk, top ten clubhouse too.

gregair, how would that fit your scenarion, thread rankings>
    One click of the Fan Forums button and then another click of the Vikings Fan Forums button and you get the SAME thing!

An option would be to allow each of us to designate whether we want to filter out stuff or not...or to set our own personal Latest Talk to a particular forum or not.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Del" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    i haven't really been posting a lot lately because i have been super busy with school so i don't know to the full extent of how bad these people are.

if anything, instead of ragging on them for posting useless crap, we need to encourage them to post more useful stuff. when most people move into a new community, they just want to fit in at whatever cost. same thing with a forum. it is really hard to get into the main circle of the group of regular posters.

so maybe instead of ripping them a new hole to shoot things out of, we can be more kind to them and suggest use of the search function instead of the create new topic function. you could do this by a PM to them, or just quote there message in the new topic they made and remind them to do it the right way. if they don't listen, ban/suspend them. thats pretty simple.

and remember: we want more people to post and share their opinions. as long as it is useful.
    I agree...but what is useful to some, may not be useful to others...we all need to understand that as long as it is not BLATENTLY offensive, we just need to let it roll off of our backs and move on to the next thread.
    I think each situation is different and there is an awful lot of generalizing going on. If you have a guy make a thread he has 12 posts. You go back read them and they are all pertaining to the same thing and he keeps making new threads to try and hammer his horrible point across that is not BLATENTLY offensive, but it isn't very useful and can easily be considered trolling.
    BUT if no one is answering him, then he will get the message...or continue his conversation with himself.
    Of course, the other option is that we can all gang up on his sorry butt and have fun pounding him into cyber-submission.
    Takes the place of the lack of trolls that we have on which to pound!

"Del" wrote:
    Well hopefully we get some of those members in here to get some things going back and forth. If they can't handle the situation themselves with a PM to the person and want to PM Webby then that does no good. Lets clear it up.

Hopefully he doesn't get upset with me for saying this but Anglo is good for doing this. He has PM'd me a time or two and basically in the logical manner he always is stated what he observed going on. Sometimes that is all it takes. I piss alot of people off, and I can say right here that more often then not if I realize I went off the deep end I send a PM and 90% of the time the person is fine and we go off in the sunset holding hands and poking each others bums.
    Shock has done the same thing to me when I have stepped over the line...and I have no problem with him doing it and have usually PMed the person that was offended and apologized for it.

Remember what happened when akvikesfan left...we didn't change for one member...nor should we!

Del Rio Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:

I think each situation is different and there is an awful lot of generalizing going on. If you have a guy make a thread he has 12 posts. You go back read them and they are all pertaining to the same thing and he keeps making new threads to try and hammer his horrible point across that is not BLATENTLY offensive, but it isn't very useful and can easily be considered trolling.
    BUT if no one is answering him, then he will get the message...or continue his conversation with himself.
    Of course, the other option is that we can all gang up on his sorry butt and have fun pounding him into cyber-submission.
    Takes the place of the lack of trolls that we have on which to pound!
    Well like I have suggested many times over very rarely does someone come in and get pounded for nothing. Look at the welcome threads, look at the threads that go against the grain and are done in a reasonable manner.

Most often you attack the post and it hurts their feelings and they begin to attack the person who replied and then all hell breaks lose.

If I see someon say something I consider stupid I'm going to comment and usually I will give my reasons why. If they get offended then who knows where it can go. The thing is when I say stupid things I expect to get called on it and many people do call me on it, I have no problem with that.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Noone is changing in relation to Prophet.

This has been an issue for me for some time.
    And others.

The thread rating helps maybe in what Del Rio said.
    Or the Leaders doing infractions.

However, the community aspects are important.
    Some younger members may not have the football chops to spew statistics.
    Maybe they simply believe what they want.
    Nothing is wrong with that if they can back it up, right, with an opinion?

This is the strongest community I have been to in which we can also mention other things...people feel comfortable sharing with this group.

That is important.

Prophet always posting news to trick people...that got old.
    The gathered some ill-will.
    Many of his other posts are great.

So did I care?
    Not really.
    Let him be a member and enjoy himself.
    This is not about micromanaging people.
    This is about guiding a community via the leadership.

My biggest issues (in no order):
    Thread Hijacking
    Unwarranted newbie bashing; warranted certainly okay
    No gentle ways to control and train newbies
    (community feedback for getting people in line)
    No 5 strikes and you're out policy (or whatever)
    Upturn in actual football analysis but the perception is less
    Community strength is potential weakness (bridge those gaps)
    Mod actions or lack of action

I feel like I have a handle on 3 and 4 in our transition.

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think this is all about Prophet leaving, it may have been what got us to really look at things, but there are some issues.
    I think we just need to be careful about how we respond to some people.
    Attacking them is not the way to do it.
    When Singer or Prophet post the funny pictures about duplicate thread and this and that, we may think its humerous, but someone that just joined probably doesn't think so.
    I can understand how some people may think that there is no way into the inner circle.
    For females its easy... we tend to accept them all, but with males its a little bit different.
    I think that they have to work really hard at being accepted by some of us and that shouldn't be the way it is.
    Someone has one bad thread they start or an unpopular opinion and they are digging themselves out of that hole for a while.
    Most people probably don't think its worth it and go find another site.

I think that we need to do a better job at making them feel welcome.
    Not just the welcome thread, but maybe making a little more effort to include them in conversations.

Del Rio Guest

I think there is serious potential to diminish content if you powder everyones ass all day. I'm not saying anyone has suggested that, but regardless if you are new or old or medium rare if you post a thread that has been posted 700 times before you are taking away from the quality of the site in theory.

Maybe what should happen is make it clear as day that the Mods will take care of it and then begin make sure we do.

Some of those threads I believe deserve locking with an explanation of the rules or a friendly pointer, but to avoid being a thread nazi I just make a comment. If you set your foot down and address the issue both ways with Moderators then perhaps it would at least take away some of the potential for abuse, and some of the grey area.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

OK, I'm just gonna throw in my 2c here and then let it drop.
    For me, this site isn't "fun" any more. I almost afraid to post something in fear of getting called out.
    Without mentioning any names, let me tell you of a personal experience.
    Singer is the "newshound" of this site but I used to do my fair share. Sometimes I doubled up on this but always felt like a jerk when I did and apologized. In most cases it was my fault anyway.
    But a couple of months ago Singer was on vacation. I started posting news articles in his absence. I got called out for it. Old rules were posted and new rules made up. (I won't go into a lot of detail here about that.) But what really peed me off was the person who posted the "rules" then went ahead and started doing exactly what I was doing and broke his rules himself.
    For instance -- one of the rules was post the headline and then a couple of sentences and a link to the article. Well, this rule was broken time and time again by the person who told me what to do.
    I understand rules but it seems like some people are above the rules and love to call people's attention to their little mistakes while making the same mistakes themselves.
    That has caused me to pretty much stop posting althogh I still come in here two or three times a day and read stuff.
    It's still the best Vikings Forum around and I've made some good friends here who I admire.
    Anyway, just my two cents worth.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    OK, I'm just gonna throw in my 2c here and then let it drop.
    For me, this site isn't "fun" any more. I almost afraid to post something in fear of getting called out.
    Without mentioning any names, let me tell you of a personal experience.
    Singer is the "newshound" of this site but I used to do my fair share. Sometimes I doubled up on this but always felt like a jerk when I did and apologized. In most cases it was my fault anyway.
    But a couple of months ago Singer was on vacation. I started posting news articles in his absence. I got called out for it. Old rules were posted and new rules made up. (I won't go into a lot of detail here about that.) But what really peed me off was the person who posted the "rules" then went ahead and started doing exactly what I was doing and broke his rules himself.
    For instance -- one of the rules was post the headline and then a couple of sentences and a link to the article. Well, this rule was broken time and time again by the person who told me what to do.
    I understand rules but it seems like some people are above the rules and love to call people's attention to their little mistakes while making the same mistakes themselves.
    That has caused me to pretty much stop posting althogh I still come in here two or three times a day and read stuff.
    It's still the best Vikings Forum around and I've made some good friends here who I admire.
    Anyway, just my two cents worth.
    I will back COJO on this...especially the "rule" about news article posting.
    The rule needs to be CONSISTENTLY followed or jettisoned altogether!

Let's not let this get out of hand though...COJO is right on about ONE thing...PP.O IS the BEST Vikings Forum around!!!

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I don't think this is all about Prophet leaving, it may have been what got us to really look at things, but there are some issues.
    I think we just need to be careful about how we respond to some people.
    Attacking them is not the way to do it.
    When Singer or Prophet post the funny pictures about duplicate thread and this and that, we may think its humerous, but someone that just joined probably doesn't think so.
    I can understand how some people may think that there is no way into the inner circle.
    For females its easy... we tend to accept them all, but with males its a little bit different.
    I think that they have to work really hard at being accepted by some of us and that shouldn't be the way it is.
    Someone has one bad thread they start or an unpopular opinion and they are digging themselves out of that hole for a while.
    Most people probably don't think its worth it and go find another site.

I think that we need to do a better job at making them feel welcome.
    Not just the welcome thread, but maybe making a little more effort to include them in conversations.
    You hit the nail right on the head, TNT!!!!

We are ALL Vikings fans here...newbies as well as vets...and UNTIL someone shows that they are an asshole, they should be shown respect.
    Now, ONCE they DO show that they are an asshole, it should be open season on them...and I'm NOT talking about little mistakes, but repeated infractions of the written (and unwritten) code of behavior here.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast