Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 251
  1. #11
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    "mnjamie" wrote:
    I can honestly say that I havn't been posting as much as I used to.
    I try to come in with an open mind, but someone new always "ticks" me off.
    Instead of calling them out, etc. ... I just leave and cool off.

    This is the only site I have EVER joined and the reason I did, was because there was logical talk about football.
    NOW, there just seems to be nothing but "LOOK AT ME" threads ... Fun threads are one thing, just for me IMHO, it's gotten to be too much.

    PP.O advertises itself as a football site first and foremost, then the general community aspect comes in second (I hope that came out right).

    I just feel that it's become more of a teenage, high school chat room sometimes and it does get to be too much for me personally.

    That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.



    MNJ
    That pisses me off too.
    I wanted to ban all self congratulatory threads and that BS....but felt it might be a part of the community people liked, warm fuzzies and all.

    That is what the clubhouse is for though.
    Different strokes.
    But I get bored seeing it in the top ten, thats for sure.
    Maybe I make that the football talk only?

  2. #12
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,597

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    i haven't really been posting a lot lately because i have been super busy with school so i don't know to the full extent of how bad these people are.

    if anything, instead of ragging on them for posting useless crap, we need to encourage them to post more useful stuff. when most people move into a new community, they just want to fit in at whatever cost. same thing with a forum. it is really hard to get into the main circle of the group of regular posters.

    so maybe instead of ripping them a new hole to shoot things out of, we can be more kind to them and suggest use of the search function instead of the create new topic function. you could do this by a PM to them, or just quote there message in the new topic they made and remind them to do it the right way. if they don't listen, ban/suspend them. thats pretty simple.

    and remember: we want more people to post and share their opinions. as long as it is useful.
    We're bringing purple back.

  3. #13
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    "triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
    I think your right... we need to crack down a little more.
    When the idiots drive off one of our most respected members its time we do something.
    I can't believe that prophet left!!
    On the other hand, we don't want to become elitists either.

    If we are allowed to rag on those (mostly newbies) who start Moss and Pep posts and the like, where will it end?
    If we are allowed to smack them, then I want the power to smack those who misuse grammar and misspell words (practically EVERYONE).
    I am not really serious about that last line...but you see where I am coming from.

    I want to see this site be the biggest and best site around...and we can't become that if we scare away most of the newbies.
    Otherwise, we risk having the same posters making the majority of the posts.
    I say we either let the Moss threads get created and let the members either ignore the thread or show the thread creator where their logic is flawed.
    Part of our job is to educate the uninitiated...we can do it gently and the message will be heard...or we can be mean and they will just tell everyone they know that PP.O is nothing but a bunch of self-righteous, pompous jerks.
    Just my 2 DOLLARS worth.

    Prophet is either making a point here...or he is being a big baby about it.
    Either way, he needs to do what he thinks is best for himself.
    I like having him on this site and I respect his posts and enjoy his humor...but he does have to cut some of these newbies some slack...that is part of the natural pattern of the growth of this site.
    Trust me, college guy jeff was one of those ignorant people who started stupid threads...and it took awhile, but he finally got the message...and left of his own accord.
    No one said that we can't ignore the posts and threads that we think are stupid...and once the "offender" realizes that no one is listening or that they are getting smacked on every post they make, they will either quit being stupid or just quit.
    No need for a respected member to leave over that kind of crap though.
    But to each his own.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  4. #14
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    Is there a way to have it customizable? Like you can only have 1 latest talk but it can be EITHER.

    A)All football
    B)All Clubhouse type stuff
    C)Mix


    I think your going to get gratz threads and back patting no matter what.

  5. #15
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    "gregair13" wrote:
    i haven't really been posting a lot lately because i have been super busy with school so i don't know to the full extent of how bad these people are.

    if anything, instead of ragging on them for posting useless crap, we need to encourage them to post more useful stuff. when most people move into a new community, they just want to fit in at whatever cost. same thing with a forum. it is really hard to get into the main circle of the group of regular posters.

    so maybe instead of ripping them a new hole to shoot things out of, we can be more kind to them and suggest use of the search function instead of the create new topic function. you could do this by a PM to them, or just quote there message in the new topic they made and remind them to do it the right way. if they don't listen, ban/suspend them. thats pretty simple.

    and remember: we want more people to post and share their opinions. as long as it is useful.
    I agree...but what is useful to some, may not be useful to others...we all need to understand that as long as it is not BLATENTLY offensive, we just need to let it roll off of our backs and move on to the next thread.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  6. #16
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    Excellent points, all....please keep them coming....this is just what I had hoped for.

  7. #17
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    i haven't really been posting a lot lately because i have been super busy with school so i don't know to the full extent of how bad these people are.

    if anything, instead of ragging on them for posting useless crap, we need to encourage them to post more useful stuff. when most people move into a new community, they just want to fit in at whatever cost. same thing with a forum. it is really hard to get into the main circle of the group of regular posters.

    so maybe instead of ripping them a new hole to shoot things out of, we can be more kind to them and suggest use of the search function instead of the create new topic function. you could do this by a PM to them, or just quote there message in the new topic they made and remind them to do it the right way. if they don't listen, ban/suspend them. thats pretty simple.

    and remember: we want more people to post and share their opinions. as long as it is useful.
    I agree...but what is useful to some, may not be useful to others...we all need to understand that as long as it is not BLATENTLY offensive, we just need to let it roll off of our backs and move on to the next thread.
    That's my question...will thread ratings help?
    People can leave a rating on a thread....and will that be enough to have people not look at the the stupid ones....

    Or will that also lead to gang mentality.
    I like it myself, thread ratings.
    I use them at other places all the time to decide where to invest my time.

    I could do top ten vikings talk, top ten clubhouse too.

    gregair, how would that fit your scenarion, thread rankings>

  8. #18
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    i haven't really been posting a lot lately because i have been super busy with school so i don't know to the full extent of how bad these people are.

    if anything, instead of ragging on them for posting useless crap, we need to encourage them to post more useful stuff. when most people move into a new community, they just want to fit in at whatever cost. same thing with a forum. it is really hard to get into the main circle of the group of regular posters.

    so maybe instead of ripping them a new hole to shoot things out of, we can be more kind to them and suggest use of the search function instead of the create new topic function. you could do this by a PM to them, or just quote there message in the new topic they made and remind them to do it the right way. if they don't listen, ban/suspend them. thats pretty simple.

    and remember: we want more people to post and share their opinions. as long as it is useful.
    I agree...but what is useful to some, may not be useful to others...we all need to understand that as long as it is not BLATENTLY offensive, we just need to let it roll off of our backs and move on to the next thread.
    I think each situation is different and there is an awful lot of generalizing going on. If you have a guy make a thread he has 12 posts. You go back read them and they are all pertaining to the same thing and he keeps making new threads to try and hammer his horrible point across that is not BLATENTLY offensive, but it isn't very useful and can easily be considered trolling.

  9. #19
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    "Webby" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    I can honestly say that I havn't been posting as much as I used to.
    I try to come in with an open mind, but someone new always "ticks" me off.
    Instead of calling them out, etc. ... I just leave and cool off.

    This is the only site I have EVER joined and the reason I did, was because there was logical talk about football.
    NOW, there just seems to be nothing but "LOOK AT ME" threads ... Fun threads are one thing, just for me IMHO, it's gotten to be too much.

    PP.O advertises itself as a football site first and foremost, then the general community aspect comes in second (I hope that came out right).

    I just feel that it's become more of a teenage, high school chat room sometimes and it does get to be too much for me personally.

    That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth.



    MNJ
    That pisses me off too.

    I wanted to ban all self congratulatory threads and that BS....but felt it might be a part of the community people liked, warm fuzzies and all.

    That is what the clubhouse is for though.
    Different strokes.
    But I get bored seeing it in the top ten, thats for sure.
    Maybe I make that the football talk only?
    That is EXACTLY what makes this community stick together.

    And NO, if someone wants JUST football talk, they can always click Fan Forums on the Home Page and go straight to the Vikings Fan Forum.

    OTHERWISE, I may just have to start nitpicking EVERY single post that I read.

    BOTTOM LINE is THIS...each person here has to make this site what they want it to be to themselves...take the good with the bad...and just ignore the threads that you don't want to read.
    Now, I will agree that thread hijacking is one of the things that is very hard to control (and I have been guilty of it from time to time), but the Moss and Pep thread titles have been OBVIOUS to spot and if NO ONE wants to read them, they will soon be relegated to the back pages of the relevant forum.

    A compromise could MAYBE be a setting that makes YOUR latest talk filter out certain forums (the Clubhouse, for instance).
    That way, we can control what we see on an individual basis.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  10. #20
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: For Our Site Leaders

    There is a news site I frequent that has a simple rating system. Where you can vote on each post. It goes like:

    -1 Disagree
    -1 Troll
    -1 Offtopic
    -1 Wrong Forum
    0
    split vote
    +1 Agree
    +1 Informative
    +1 Persuasive

    This even helps mods find posts and threads that need to be dealt with. It has potential for abuse. It also give a voice to the large# of people who may have an opinion but are too scared to voice it. Just vote and let it do the talking.

    If you do that I would limit it to the Vikings Forum first maybe that would help with football talk.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Player leaders
    By gagarr in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
  2. NFL Leaders through week 3
    By Slade in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
  3. Sack & TKL projected leaders
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 12:06 AM
  4. Ever wonder about the IM conversations of world leaders?
    By NodakPaul in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM
  5. Vikes' team leaders.
    By PAvikesfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 04:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •