Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: For Our Site Leaders

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I have to agree with RK on this one. Look how many people have hurt e-feelings over there being cliques and members who get more attention. You add the abilty for the boys club to pat each other on the back even more it may just give people one more thing to feel left out of and hurt.

Should we be getting paid by Dr. Phil for this?
    We know, you don't like people and think anyone who spends a moment of introspection to be suspect.
    LOL

But the rest of us who try to get along in a society of our peers find merit in the discussion about keeping the community healthy.

Who
    would you smack down if there was noone left?

;D

Just fricken with ya.

Yeah, we can leave off the thread rating idea, or just try it in one spot maybe.

Great commentary here, all great points....lots of constructive things I see I can do and also ask for help on....
    I get along fine with most people. I just don't see a reason to sugar coat anything, and if I start now then when does it stop? There is only one person in this world that is worth kissing jiggly butt to and that is my wife.

I don't think it is a bad idea to discuss community. I mean it's the bye week, might as well do some therapy sessions on a football site.
    ;D

Introspection alone is valid, introspection + Sweatervest is suspect.
    Sweatervest...LMAO!
    Its a hiking vest!!!!
    It's actually a jacket with removable sleeves, but anything more than flannel and camoflage is lost on these chuckleheads.

Some of us are talented enough to work zippers.

I think that's how Webby Jr got here.
    LOL

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Webby" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I have to agree with RK on this one. Look how many people have hurt e-feelings over there being cliques and members who get more attention. You add the abilty for the boys club to pat each other on the back even more it may just give people one more thing to feel left out of and hurt.

We know, you don't like people and think anyone who spends a moment of introspection to be suspect.
    LOL

But the rest of us who try to get along in a society of our peers find merit in the discussion about keeping the community healthy.

Who

;D

Just fricken with ya.

Yeah, we can leave off the thread rating idea, or just try it in one spot maybe.

Great commentary here, all great points....lots of constructive things I see I can do and also ask for help on....
    I get along fine with most people. I just don't see a reason to sugar coat anything, and if I start now then when does it stop? There is only one person in this world that is worth kissing jiggly butt to and that is my wife.

I don't think it is a bad idea to discuss community. I mean it's the bye week, might as well do some therapy sessions on a football site.
    ;D

Sweatervest...LMAO!
    Its a hiking vest!!!!
    It's actually a jacket with removable sleeves, but anything more than flannel and camoflage is lost on these chuckleheads.

LOL
    Dude, the only thing mechanically you can work is a keyboard!

Leave the sweaty balls
    manly stuff to us!

:-*

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

(begin rambling thoughts)

All good comments.
    However, I don't know that its intellectually honest to say because we want to talk about ways to improve the community at large is akin to being some tree hugger I would like to stick a cleaver in.

Some of you apparently equate pro-active community health discussion with some desire to fill the place with bunny rabbits and easter eggs.

Remember, this place started as a Packers Suck home.
    Nothing PC about it.

But helping to keep the community a good place to be is smarter than saying screw it, deal with it chumps.

If that was the case, I would have shut down the site years ago when I got pissed at stuff or every other day when I am tired of dealing with people's shit and insecurities and general whininess.

Self discipline is not thrown out the window just because its virtual here.
    I exercise it daily here.
    Again, this is about ideas, thoughts, and thank you for posting them.
    I just want to make sure we keep this on track, and I think its doing very nicely.

I also think that these folks that say it would behoove us to be cognizant of how we treat newcomers and early stage PPO lifers deserve not to be tossed in the hippie crowd.
    There is no good argument to say that if you shat on every newcomer all the time that they would roll with it and its okay.
    (not saying that happens either, just rambling)

Ripping people that have it coming, that is always fun in my book.
    Being rude to someone who made a mistake in good faith is not okay in my book.

As mods we see the same infraction over and over.
    This is kinda why this discussion exists, how to better what we do, how to ask the leaders, eg you, to take on that role of leaders.
    I could get pissed and toss shit at every person that did "x" infraction, but isn't it smarter to deal with it case by case?
    As in, well this guy is always an idiot, so slap him stupid.
    This guy here, though, fair mistake.
    Gentle note, and all is better.

One example:
    Thats where the league of complaints I get about the stupid Bill Murray or Prophets bikini chick thing comes in...
    1) I think its funny, 2) I think idiot guy deserves it, 3) but I don't think fair mistake guy needs to be bludgeoned and ridiculed, which usually follows those types of posts.

All these are ideas being discussed, all with merit.
    There will be no panacea obviously, or perfect solution.
    I don't want one.
    This is a community of individuals, each with a personality that we do not want to stifle.
    I don't want Whack to be unable to lose his gourd and level someone as he is known to do; at the same time people look to us in leadership how to conduct themselves.

We do and will tee off on folks that need it.
    We will gently correct others.
    Some I will
    just shake my head at and "ignore".

But having some discretion has a very large snowball effect when people see the uppers handling things well.

Which in general I think we do.
    Most of you echo the same sentiment, things in general are pretty good here, but room for improvement if one wants to put in the effort.
    I do as always.

So where o where is the bum-dusting, lovey holding hands in all this?
    Nowhere that I can see.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

So...where do we go from here....now that all of the children are growing up...AND how do we spend our lives...if there's no one to lend us a hand (or is it...knowin' nobody gives us a damn)?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Webby" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

LOL

Who

;D

Just fricken with ya.

;D

Sweatervest...LMAO!
    Its a hiking vest!!!!

LOL
    I assumed that Mrs. Webby helped you with the zippers!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    V-Unit the thread you are referring to was not lets not let V unit in the Hall of fame it was let's raise the level of hall of Famer to 2,000 posts instead of 1,200.
    It was not intended to hurt you and in the discussion it was said that anybody that had already reached the hall would be left so nobody said kick out V-Unit out of the Hall of Famer forum!
    I in no way believed that that thread was a personal attack on me, but I still think the fact that such a conversation was going on was disappointing. It's very elitist to say, "I only had to post 1250 to get HOF status, but since you are new you have to post 2000."
    It reminds me of Colonel Cathcart from Catch 22. Anyways that is a completely different subject, just know that I did not feel personally attacked whatsoever.

On Singer's points about the ratings, well he brings up some very good points. In end the I think the actual discussion in a thread is horribly ruined by comments like, "CCthebest, are you just a Moss fan? You seem to hate all other Vikings." Even though the question is a very good one, the thread is horribly ruined by it. IMO it would be much better to just give him a low rating rather than a discussion swaying response.

My perspective is different from many others here because I went through newbie phase while you were already HOFers but before the SI popularity. I got blasted for bad posts and even felt that some of my good posts were completely ignored, yet I stuck through it because I love the Vikings and love the discussions on this board. That being said, there are some HOFers who have been around for less time than I have. Personally I would love to here ejmat's or Lotzapurple's thoughts. People like them can give us the best idea of how a newbie views PPO.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V-Unit" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    V-Unit the thread you are referring to was not lets not let V unit in the Hall of fame it was let's raise the level of hall of Famer to 2,000 posts instead of 1,200.
    It was not intended to hurt you and in the discussion it was said that anybody that had already reached the hall would be left so nobody said kick out V-Unit out of the Hall of Famer forum!
    I in no way believed that that thread was a personal attack on me, but I still think the fact that such a conversation was going on was disappointing. It's very elitist to say, "I only had to post 1250 to get HOF status, but since you are new you have to post 2000."
    It reminds me of Colonel Cathcart from Catch 22. Anyways that is a completely different subject, just know that I did not feel personally attacked whatsoever.

On Singer's points about the ratings, well he brings up some very good points. In end the I think the actual discussion in a thread is horribly ruined by comments like, "CCthebest, are you just a Moss fan? You seem to hate all other Vikings." Even though the question is a very good one, the thread is horribly ruined by it. IMO it would be much better to just give him a low rating rather than a discussion swaying response.

My perspective is different from many others here because I went through newbie phase while you were already HOFers but before the SI popularity. I got blasted for bad posts and even felt that some of my good posts were completely ignored, yet I stuck through it because I love the Vikings and love the discussions on this board. That being said, there are some HOFers who have been around for less time than I have. Personally I would love to here ejmat's or Lotzapurple's thoughts. People like them can give us the best idea of how a newbie views PPO.
    Lotza has been around WAY LONGER than you have...LOL

Quick comment on the HOF level...the ONLY reason that we were even suggesting that it be changed is that WHEN Webby first set the levels, I don't think that he envisioned the level of posting that would be produced by posters here.
    Heck, when I started two years ago the top poster was Hawaiianvike...and he had 2300 posts.
    I now have 10 TIMES that and we went from just a few HOFers to a ton of them.
    The thought (at least MY thought) was that the levels should be adjusted to reflect the unexpected proliferation of posts so that HOF meant a little more to ALL people here (without "cheating" those who had already gotten there)...trust me, those HOFers who would have been below the "new" HOF level would have probably busted their butts to get to the new level so that they wouldn't be criticized as having gotten grandfathered in...at least most of the ones that I know well would have.

Change is inevitable...and no one likes change when it affects them personally on a negative level.
    BUT, we have to look at the longer-term picture here...so that this site will not be antiquated a year, five years, even ten years from now.
    I think that Webby has done a magnificent job in this regard...for instance, even though many of us "old-timers" grumbled about the new format, we have all adjusted and have eventually gotten up to speed.
    Let's all keep on pushing to make this site the ONE that all others are measured by...to do this, we will all need to rein in our idiosyncracies just a little bit...so that the end result is one that we can ALL be proud of!

Rock on, V-Unit!!!

P.S.
    You get a taste of Texas 'tang yet?

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"Caine" wrote:
    Wow, I feel like the old grumpy guy in the DirecTV commercials now.
    "In my day, we were verbally abused until we fit in...and we liked it, Nancy Boy!!"

I stated previously that I was leery of rating systems..and I still am.
    Primarily because we cannot control the level of maturity of those rating the posts.
    Sure, some of us while give honest opinions on a posts merit, but others will simply rate in the extreme (Either positive or negative), and may do so based upon who posted it (i.e. I'm mad at Del Rio so I slam all of his posts).

I'm also leery of anytime anyone starts pushing the "We all have to be kinder and gentler" line.
    Why?
    As I said before, I seldom attack people (Except Bono), but I always attack stupidity.
    If you don't want your feelings hurt, don't post stupid things.
    Now, I try very hard to limit my assaults to the topic itself, but there is a limit to what can be conveyed in print.

See, what I DON'T want to see is a kumbya singing, tree-hugging, hand holding, Stewart Smalley attitude to pervade this website.
    That's not who we are, that's not who we've ever been.
    I especially get queesy when people start using the terms "respect and dignity" together.

To me, respect must be EARNED.
    There is no short cut, and it should never be automatically granted just because you're a new poster.
    Dignity...well...that's something you either have or you don't.
    I try not to gutter dive in my posts
    - and sometimes it's quite a struggle not to - but that's not because I give a rat's behind about the targets feelings, it's because of how I choose to portray myself here.

Internet annonimity is a beautiful thing.
    Very few people know what I look like here, so to the masses, I could either be a physical terror, just waiting to rip off their heads and defecate in their chest cavity, or a pencil necked geek, hiding in my Mom's basement and talking tough because I finished Doom 3 without saving.
    And, of course no one in their right mind EVER portrays themselves as a loser nerd who has never had intimate knowledge of a non-related member of the opposite sex without having to give a credit card number, so we have a swarm of internet tough guys to contend with.

Sorry, I have no respect for that.

I also have no respect for anyone who can't support their opinions with some form of verifiable fact.
    To post something like, "Johnson sucks and he's always sucked...he should be benched" is just inviting me - and others - to tear you a new one...and often results in exactly that.
    And it SHOULD!!
    That's not to say taht opinions aren't ever allowed, simply taht unsupported opinions will be challanged, and often by people who are diametrically opposed to that opinion.
    If you can't handle that concept, then you shouldn't be posting anywhere, ever, for any reason.

Singer asked a few pages back, if peoples egos were that fragile...yes they are.
    And it's unfortunate.
    But it is not our responsibility to safeguard those egos.
    That's an unrealistic expectation.
    Unless, of course, you want a website filed with nothing but marshmellow fluff and sugar canes.
    I don't.

I came here because I followed a "Packers suck" link.
    I stayed because this crowd had an edge and a passion for the Vikings.
    Don't change that.

Sure, some will find this place too abrasive for their tastes and go elsewhere.
    Fine.
    But by keeping that edge and that passion, we attract the kind of people we would want to have a beer with.
    Through this site, I have already met a handful of great people personally - Shockzilla, AngloVike and his wife, Singer, and Ned
    - as well as a couple whom I met in passing.
    I love the interaction of many of the personalities here...and if newbies are jealous of that, then they need to stick around long enough for people to get to know them.

This isn't about being elitist, this is about taking the time to develop connections and relationships.

So, while I'm all for gutter slamers being spanked - regardless of who they are - there is no way I'm ever going to coddle an idiot just because he's new.

Caine
    Nice post grumpy.

There have been some suggestions of ways to slowly integrate newbies into the site with special forums and all.
    I don't think that is a good idea.
    Some of the new people here are old hands at forums.
    If that had happened to me I think I would have not come back.
    Its sort of condescending.
    Its better to just throw them into the water and hope they can swim.
    There are enough old timers to give them a hand if they need it.
    And there are enough old timers here to smack another old timer around if he or she needs it.
    Usually what keeps a forum from self destructing is the core people (HOF'ers) maintaining the quality of posts and setting the example.
    We don't want to become just troll hunters.
    A comment I see often by new members is "wow this site has so much good info on it".
    Keeping that is the important thing.
    A certain level of civility is important but I agree with caine, if you are looking for a lot of hand holding this is probably not the site for you.

A quick review of these might be helpful for things to avoid.

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/fanboy.htm
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/howlers.htm
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/swarm.htm

We should all strive to be more like this I think
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/kungfumaster.htm
    or
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/bigcat.htm

WWBGD

Check out ACUMEN thread...LOL

Pile up on the rabbit!!!!