Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: For Our Site Leaders

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I wrote this to Ultra and I think it is very important to mention it again to all PPO'ers.
    We find duplicate articles and I have been as guilty of this as anyone but we'd have far fewer duplicates if the person making the PPO post would use the same headline as in the original article you are posting.
    I know Singer always does this but many don't.
    If I find an article that I think is interesting, I do a search by the headline and if it doesn't match, I assume it's not posted and post it only to find out someone else posted it under their own made-up headline.
    So let's try to do this right and we'll have far less duplicate articles.
    Exactly Cojo.
    Its all in the title.
    I have left reminders in threads about it.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I don't want to call anyone out on this, but here is an example.. A while ago, there was a discussion on titles under your screen name.. When I was asking about them, it was mistaken that I was asking for one.. Then I was told that the only way you get one is if you stand out, but if you ask for one, it will take you forever to get one.. I have seen members on here that have been a member forever, however have very little post counts but have a special title.. Now my question is, how do they stand out? If they are never posting, how do they make a name for themselves? They don't, that is where I believe favortism plays a role.. Please don't think I am the only one that thinks this, because I have had several discussions with other members on this subject that think the same thing as I do..
    Its all about the quality of pics you post in the Cheer Up Vikings thread.
    ;D

BTW note the way I have edited the quote box to the essential statement I am addressing instead of just hitting the quote button and re-posting the last three pages of comments in the thread just so I can say.
    "Me Too"
    Its just one of my pet forum peeves.
    As long as we are whining I just thought I would throw that out.

RK, how do you quote only part of the post? I would be happy to accomodate you as soon as I find out.. Thanks..

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Del" wrote:
    "Then I opened up the welcome thread, and didn't feel welcome at all because half of the people here were basically saying I didn't belong. That again reflects a poor attitude on what older posters care about"

I dont get it at all.

I would also say to those who say there is not enough football content, you need to bump the threads so they stay in view.
    You can start a good thread and have it vanish on page 5 the next day.
    Why is there a problem with the Latest Talk in the first place?
    You come to the site you should know what you want to read, right?
    If you want to latest on the Vikes...Fan Forum.
    If you want some smut...Two Beers.
    Hell, I look through every thread.
    I never even look at the Top Ten.

So using that as an excuse is kinda weak.
    Not everybody here is all about the Vikes; they go to the Clubhouse and chill.
    Nothing wrong with that at all.
    Just do not blame things on the Top Ten....especially duplicate threads.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I don't want to call anyone out on this, but here is an example.. A while ago, there was a discussion on titles under your screen name.. When I was asking about them, it was mistaken that I was asking for one.. Then I was told that the only way you get one is if you stand out, but if you ask for one, it will take you forever to get one.. I have seen members on here that have been a member forever, however have very little post counts but have a special title.. Now my question is, how do they stand out? If they are never posting, how do they make a name for themselves? They don't, that is where I believe favortism plays a role.. Please don't think I am the only one that thinks this, because I have had several discussions with other members on this subject that think the same thing as I do..
    ;D

BTW note the way I have edited the quote box to the essential statement I am addressing instead of just hitting the quote button and re-posting the last three pages of comments in the thread just so I can say.
    "Me Too"

RK, how do you quote only part of the post? I would be happy to accomodate you as soon as I find out.. Thanks..

When you hit the quote box the script will put everything from the post you are quoting from in the reply box.
    At the top you will see something like this
    "quote author=VikesfaninWis link=topic=28280.msg485083#msg485083 date=1161046893" enclosed in brackets and the name being from the post you are quoting.
    If there are multiple quote tags, leave only the top one in place.
    Just highlight all the text in post that you don't want and hit the back arrow on your key board.
    That will erase everything you don 't want.
    Be sure to leave the [/quote] at the bottom because that closes the tag and puts the quote in a box.

WWBGD

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Again folks, this isn't meant to cause a huge debate making people mad.

I am looking for ideas, criticisms, etc and I think we are doing great.
    Just want to keep reiterating that.
    We are safe in here to make comments.

In terms of titles, titles are what hits my whim that moment.
    Always has been, always will.
    Not based on post count, not even based on post quality per se.
    Always has to do with overall personality or memorable quote that triggers something for me.
    It is a random fun thing to keep things mixed up.

We will explain so in the rules.

I like the feedback and ideas for shaping the rules re-work and the general understanding of the leadership going forward.
    Without us, the site is awash trying to find a voice.
    You provide it.

Thanks again.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I kind of feel after 10 pages of posts I have to come in here and defend myself.

First off, about the “This article or this topic has already been posted”. Prophet & I chatted several times yesterday as well. It by no means, either by myself or by Prophet is intended to bash or bitchslap any newbie or any other member because it was duplicated. It’s merely a reminder to say “Hey, please look for existing articles/topics before you start a new thread”. It also always then has a link to the original thread, where I hope they or anyone reading it, posts further comments to that topic before a mod either locks or merges it.

For newbs I fully understand they haven’t found their way around the site yet & I have restricted myself to using it only when I know that member has been around long enough. But many of us don’t know how to use the tools to the best advantage either. Look at how hard of a time some of us old timers had finding our way around the new site.

Perhaps there is a more tactful way of doing it or of pointing them in the right direction. I know when the pooh hit the fan the other day, I felt like hitting the “delete account” myself.

We also don’t know if anyone is PMing the newbs or showing them how to do it correctly especially when you see them repeating the same mistakes. Letting them know something has already been posted is just that. Hopefully, they start looking around after that. I know when I started and I was the recipient of a few Bill Murray’s or a nasty gram (LOL) from Ultra or Del, I started looking.

The mods do a great job of catching most of them, but I’ve seen them slip thru the cracks or not be caught until after several pages have been posted. Is this also the best use of the mods time?

There are also members who look at the top 10 & only the top 10 & if they don’t see it they start a new thread. Since the inception of the new site, many threads that you had to search for are among the top 10.

A few months ago, & I saw it mentioned on an earlier page, I suggested two top 10 lists. One for football & Vikings related topics & one for everything else. It will keep the Vikings/football topics up in the top 10 & cut down on duplicate threads. I have read mention of members being able to customize a single top 10 it, but I don’t know if that’s the answer.

At any given time there are usually, if not more, lurkers on line looking at the top 10 who aren’t looking at a top 10 list & others who won’t ever change theirs & those who post mostly in the clubhouse anyways.

I would never get rid of the clubhouse or two beers forums as I feel those are necessary & helps make this a better place to be. We all need a little humor in our lives & just how much can we rehash the game & team from Sunday to Sunday.

Another reason for two top 10’s is that the football related articles/topics get buried to quickly. I am on here at 5:00 AM most mornings & posting the latest that hasn’t been posted yet. Del is usually on here then always replying to them along with some other usual. But by the time some of the younger members get on, the non-football topics rise quickly to the top. On weekends, you can gol 'darnit near set your watch to it, come 11:00AM CST. By no means am I insinuating we don’t have great young posters out there, because we do. I’m just voicing my observations. Many of them know a hell of a lot more of the intracies of football than I do. But that doesn’t mean their opinion or mine is any less valuable to this site.

2ndly, Cojo mentioned articles. Whole story or not? I’ve do it both ways. I have a pretty good feel, at least I think I do, so correct me if I’m wrong, for what can & what shouldn’t be posted in full. The major reason I post full articles is that there are some that require you to register & log in to read them & some people don’t want to go thru that trouble or give out their e-mail address. I have been asked on several occasions to post the entire article so they wouldn’t have to register. If I can, I oblige, if I can’t, I’ll let them know that also.

3rdly, IMO the search & advanced search features should be more visible on the forum page. Perhaps separated out & in the upper left or right corner like a majority of websites have. You shouldn’t have to use 3 clicks to get to the Advanced Search feature. Without looking, how many of you HOF’s know an advanced search feature is there, where it is & how to use it?

I believe Cajun has mentioned the “it only takes two clicks to get to the Viking forum” (or any other forum) to look for new topics. But then you have to search those pages for the new topics. They are listed in order by “the most recently posted in” & not “the most recent”, so a new thread to them may be found on page 3. Again, a lot of people don’t go thru that effort & look at the top 10.

You don’t have to go thru any of that to find the new topics, they are just one click away. I showed the powerful feature last week to MNJamie, I believe & I rely on it more than the top 10 or any other of the search features or forums. It has to be set up in “Your Account”, but I feel it is so beneficial, it should be turned on by default.

Below is a picture of what I’m talking about & I’m sure many people haven’t discovered it yet, but I have found it to be the most useful tool on here & I’m on here a hell of a lot.

The top line to click, “Show unread posts since last visit” gives you a list of every new thread started that either you haven’t seen yet or haven’t posted in yet. Once you click on one of the threads there & read it & then click on “Show unread posts since last visit” again, it will no longer be there, until someone else posts a reply. Once I get down to the topics I’m not interested in I simply select “Mark all topics as read” & the remainder will be purged from the list.

The 2nd line to click “Show new replies to your posts” works the same way as the first one, except the only threads listed there are threads you’ve posted in that have received a new reply.

[img width=400 height=310]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/timeloggedin.jpg[/img]

Some instructions or tutorials to these tools & how to use them would be beneficial to members new & old if they take the time to learn them instead of stumbling onto them like I have.

That’s my dollar-two cents worth & I hope I haven't offended anyone for voicing my opinion or by giving them a notice to anyone about any duplicate threads. If I have, I apologize.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    I kind of feel after 10 pages of posts I have to come in here and defend myself.

First off, about the “This article or this topic has already been posted”. Prophet & I chatted several times yesterday as well. It by no means, either by myself or by Prophet is intended to bash or bitchslap any newbie or any other member because it was duplicated. It’s merely a reminder to say “Hey, please look for existing articles/topics before you start a new thread”. It also always then has a link to the original thread, where I hope they or anyone reading it, posts further comments to that topic before a mod either locks or merges it.

For newbs I fully understand they haven’t found their way around the site yet & I have restricted myself to using it only when I know that member has been around long enough. But many of us don’t know how to use the tools to the best advantage either. Look at how hard of a time some of us old timers had finding our way around the new site.

Perhaps there is a more tactful way of doing it or of pointing them in the right direction. I know when the pooh hit the fan the other day, I felt like hitting the “delete account” myself.

We also don’t know if anyone is PMing the newbs or showing them how to do it correctly especially when you see them repeating the same mistakes. Letting them know something has already been posted is just that. Hopefully, they start looking around after that. I know when I started and I was the recipient of a few Bill Murray’s or a nasty gram (LOL) from Ultra or Del, I started looking.

The mods do a great job of catching most of them, but I’ve seen them slip thru the cracks or not be caught until after several pages have been posted. Is this also the best use of the mods time?

There are also members who look at the top 10 & only the top 10 & if they don’t see it they start a new thread. Since the inception of the new site, many threads that you had to search for are among the top 10.

A few months ago, & I saw it mentioned on an earlier page, I suggested two top 10 lists. One for football & Vikings related topics & one for everything else. It will keep the Vikings/football topics up in the top 10 & cut down on duplicate threads. I have read mention of members being able to customize a single top 10 it, but I don’t know if that’s the answer.

At any given time there are usually, if not more, lurkers on line looking at the top 10 who aren’t looking at a top 10 list & others who won’t ever change theirs & those who post mostly in the clubhouse anyways.

I would never get rid of the clubhouse or two beers forums as I feel those are necessary & helps make this a better place to be. We all need a little humor in our lives & just how much can we rehash the game & team from Sunday to Sunday.

Another reason for two top 10’s is that the football related articles/topics get buried to quickly. I am on here at 5:00 AM most mornings & posting the latest that hasn’t been posted yet. Del is usually on here then always replying to them along with some other usual. But by the time some of the younger members get on, the non-football topics rise quickly to the top. On weekends, you can gol 'darnit near set your watch to it, come 11:00AM CST. By no means am I insinuating we don’t have great young posters out there, because we do. I’m just voicing my observations. Many of them know a hell of a lot more of the intracies of football than I do. But that doesn’t mean their opinion or mine is any less valuable to this site.

2ndly, Cojo mentioned articles. Whole story or not? I’ve do it both ways. I have a pretty good feel, at least I think I do, so correct me if I’m wrong, for what can & what shouldn’t be posted in full. The major reason I post full articles is that there are some that require you to register & log in to read them & some people don’t want to go thru that trouble or give out their e-mail address. I have been asked on several occasions to post the entire article so they wouldn’t have to register. If I can, I oblige, if I can’t, I’ll let them know that also.

3rdly, IMO the search & advanced search features should be more visible on the forum page. Perhaps separated out & in the upper left or right corner like a majority of websites have. You shouldn’t have to use 3 clicks to get to the Advanced Search feature. Without looking, how many of you HOF’s know an advanced search feature is there, where it is & how to use it?

I believe Cajun has mentioned the “it only takes two clicks to get to the Viking forum” (or any other forum) to look for new topics. But then you have to search those pages for the new topics. They are listed in order by “the most recently posted in” & not “the most recent”, so a new thread to them may be found on page 3. Again, a lot of people don’t go thru that effort & look at the top 10.

You don’t have to go thru any of that to find the new topics, they are just one click away. I showed the powerful feature last week to MNJamie, I believe & I rely on it more than the top 10 or any other of the search features or forums. It has to be set up in “Your Account”, but I feel it is so beneficial, it should be turned on by default.

Below is a picture of what I’m talking about & I’m sure many people haven’t discovered it yet, but I have found it to be the most useful tool on here & I’m on here a hell of a lot.

The top line to click, “Show unread posts since last visit” gives you a list of every new thread started that either you haven’t seen yet or haven’t posted in yet. Once you click on one of the threads there & read it & then click on “Show unread posts since last visit” again, it will no longer be there, until someone else posts a reply. Once I get down to the topics I’m not interested in I simply select “Mark all topics as read” & the remainder will be purged from the list.

The 2nd line to click “Show new replies to your posts” works the same way as the first one, except the only threads listed there are threads you’ve posted in that have received a new reply.

[img width=400 height=310]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/timeloggedin.jpg[/img]

Some instructions or tutorials to these tools & how to use them would be beneficial to members new & old if they take the time to learn them instead of stumbling onto them like I have.

That’s my dollar-two cents worth & I hope I have offended anyone for voicing my opinion or by giving them a notice to anyone about any duplicate threads. If I have, I apologize.
    Oh but you have offended me Singer.
    Thanks a lot I think i'm going to leave the site now.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

"RK." wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

;D

"Me Too"

When you hit the quote box the script will put everything from the post you are quoting from in the reply box.

At the top you will see something like this
    "quote author=VikesfaninWis link=topic=28280.msg485083#msg485083 date=1161046893" enclosed in brackets and the name being from the post you are quoting.
    If there are multiple quote tags, leave only the top one in place.
    Just highlight all the text in post that you don't want and hit the back arrow on your key board.
    That will erase everything you don 't want.
    Be sure to leave the
    at the bottom because that closes the tag and puts the quote in a box.

[/quote]

You can also just copy & paste the part of the post you want in your post. Then highlight it and click the "quote" button. (2nd from right on the bottom row of icons) You won't get the author in there, but you will get it enclosed in quotes.

For example;

You won't get the author in there, but you will get it enclosed in quotes.
    I prefer the later method when taking quotes out of an article I posted. Too many times people quote the entire article I posted & strip out the stuff they don't want, leaving an asshat type comment the article author wrote, with my name attached to it. It then looks like I made the comment & have found myself having to post to defend myself & pointing out the comment wasn't mine. LOL

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    .......That’s my dollar-two cents worth & I hope I have offended anyone for voicing my opinion or by giving them a notice to anyone about any duplicate threads. If I have, I apologize.
    Oh but you have offended me Singer.
    Thanks a lot I think i'm going to leave the site now.

LOL, I corrected it. I type with one finger & I was typing for well over an hour. My finger was tired.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The most annoying thing for me with the influx of new members is their overall quality of posts. I feel like the new, normally younger members post senseless things like "bench brad" "start Tarvaris" etc. I think the minimum word count helps with this but overall these people just need to post more knowledgebly.

When I first came here I was one of the youngest members on the board. To me this meant that I needed to prove to everyone on here that I was intellectually competent enough to hang with the big dogs. 5000 or so posts later here I am. I don't know how you fix this but its just one of my observations.

I mean, I love this site as much as everyone posting in this forum but sometimes it's just too much to take. I think we need to make it clear that discussing issues on a forum is not like chatting on AIM. It also hurts to have people generalize all of the younger posters as unintelligent because certain members treat this forum like a high school chat room as others have said.

As far as the mods go, I think they're doing a fine job. I don't know how you can get pissed off posting on a forum personally but either way I can understand if my threads get shut down.

I think making a "top 10 Vikings topics" and "top 10 random topics" would be nice. It would make it so that the clubhouse forums wouldn't junk up the top 10. I find myself clicking ONLY on the vikings fan forum more and more nowadays.

Anyways.. just my two cents. SKOL

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast