Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: For Our Site Leaders

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    The ONLY time that a member should be slammed for a duplicate thread is if the same exact article is posted on the same day...it is WAY TOO EASY to search the day's posts to see if a new article has already been posted...and that happens alot sometimes!
    It just shows that someone is being extremely lazy about looking.

Posting new threads on recurring topics is understandable IMHO...sometimes you have a new take on an old topic...and it can be justifiable to start a new thread to discuss it.
    Nor do I have a problem with NEWBIES asking about Moss or Pep...it gives us vets a chance to educate them as to how the board operates...as long as it is done gently of course!
    You bring up an interesting observation my weathered friend.

Yes, posting on recurring topics is understandable and most of the time left alone.

Here is what I have seen, not a lot, but have seen and 99% of the time it is from a member that rarely comes to the site.
    They rush in and post an article like, "Brads wants more money" and then they leave.
    Now, about 3 threads below theirs is a thread titled "Brad not happy about pay".
    Is it too much to ask for someone to look?
    I see this so much!
    Ask webby, I have told him that bugs the piss out of me.
    I can it and "post and run."
    Its lazy and disresprectful.

Another thing that I have made a huge push for is that the title of the thread reflects what the thread is about.
    Because it is not fair for someone to come in with an article called "Brad not happy with line" and look around and see nothing.
    They post it and get Bill Murray'd right off the bat.
    What they did not know is that this article was in a thread titled "Here we go again".
    Thats just not fair and I know many of you have seen me lay reminders out there most of the members change the title.

A lot of the time it is not newbs making the Moss threads but people who have been around for a few months.
    People think that what they have to say is 10x more important and need their own thread for the same ideas thats already out there.
    They are essentially saying "Look at me, I am smarter and better than you posers".

I have made stickys to help people and give them tips on how to search out an article.
    The asshat that was finally banned last week posted the article about Moss admitting to pot from a year ago and claimed it was breaking news.
    It sounds like we are pretty much on the same page here...I am also troubled by the "hit and run" thing...and although I used to be a huge culprit of "smartbutt" titles, I have toned that down to conform to what you are talking about because I can see how this confuses many members.

I do continue to be more tolerant of the Moss and Pep threads because I just "change the channel" if I see them.

Keep up the excellent work, Ultra...now you KNOW why I never volunteered to be a MOD...it is a thankless job for the most part...but one that I respect immensely!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"vikes09" wrote:
    sorry to post a little late, but here is my 2 cents.

im pretty sure i read this earlier, but i'll restate it. one thing that gets on my nerves is the lack of vikings (or at least quality) news, not only in the latest talk, but the vikes fan forum as well. for example singer or whoever posts a few good articles, and every now and then a decent thread or thought comes up. then you have....(actually putting articles from the latest talk)

2.A's manager fired
    3. VOTE x9
    4.prophet quit
    5.men
    6. new guy
    8. women
    9. pick up nate clements (bills), dump Smoot!!!

the clubhouse seems to dominate the main bulk of posts it seems lately. again it has a sense of community though, but IMO it's gotten out of hand lately.

about the articles and COJOs predicament, i personally like all the articles that are circulated, i would miss most if they were elsewhere. its hard when everyone rushes to post an article and then theres 4 diffrent threads on the same topic w/in 4 seconds of each other. frustrating to those who are slammed for posting an article twice. just a polite DELETE from a mod would be nice. itd probably be best to not even present a chance to create tension or hard feelings toward another member.

and having cajun there to not be AS sloppy when spelling is a nice reminder to use proper grammer and TRY to spell without a lot of errors. (im sure there are a few in that sentence alone!)

my 2 cents...

Great post and I agree with almost all of it.

Don't encourage Caj to be anymore of a Spelling NAZI than he already is !!!
    Spelling Nazi's should be BANNED to the arm pit of this country ... D.C. !!!

;D

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

First of all, wow........
    Reading this thread of ideas I have a few thoughts.
    PPO has been around for more than just a "fade" experience.
    It has grown and changed and in my opinion has never taken a step back.
    Caine's post is very insightful as are the vast majority of his thoughts.
    Cajun's point of not becoming elitists is VERY valid.
    This new wave of members is what we have always wanted and we should meet it head on and construct the future in the way the current PPO is reflected.
    FLUID.
    Let the board have a life of it's own that is goverened under the established rules.
    Right now PPO to some extent is a fade to many new members. Properly so.
    To the newbies it is a new part of their Viking life.
    Let us encourage them ,yet not change their diapers.
    Let them find their way just as we did. Because that is where the reward is at PPO.
    No matter what happens in our lives we have PPO and a place to connect with people who share our fanatic love of the Vikes and beyond to just about any topic.

You know there was mention of Politics as a subject matter. We do talk and trash each other over it. But we HOF'rs know where the board stands. Divided for sure.
    But we let it go after we bandage the carnage we cause. We then move on.
    This is a good example to set for the new blood.

So as Webby suggested, let it stand for now. Let this new membership stay or go as they wish. Because no matter how the board flows for a few weeks or few months the PPO ship still sails ahead. Growing everyday, not just with members but with new options and things to do.
    The newbies will come here and may follow the example of a HOF'r, but more than likely they will slug it out, in their quest to define themselves just as we did and do everyday.

Sermons over, pass the plate and go Vikes!

6-KINGS

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

I don't want to call anyone out on this, but here is an example.. A while ago, there was a discussion on titles under your screen name.. When I was asking about them, it was mistaken that I was asking for one.. Then I was told that the only way you get one is if you stand out, but if you ask for one, it will take you forever to get one.. I have seen members on here that have been a member forever, however have very little post counts but have a special title.. Now my question is, how do they stand out? If they are never posting, how do they make a name for themselves? They don't, that is where I believe favortism plays a role.. Please don't think I am the only one that thinks this, because I have had several discussions with other members on this subject that think the same thing as I do..
    Its all about the quality of pics you post in the Cheer Up Vikings thread.
    ;D

BTW note the way I have edited the quote box to the essential statement I am addressing instead of just hitting the quote button and re-posting the last three pages of comments in the thread just so I can say.
    "Me Too"
    Its just one of my pet forum peeves.
    As long as we are whining I just thought I would throw that out.

WWBGD

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

My two cents.

I've been on this board for about 17 months and think that is a long enough time to enter this conversation. I hope my complaints are helpful.

1. TNT said it best, old posters need to be nicer in how they treat newcomers. I think that can be done in several ways including how people are treated when they create a duplicate thread and the stance you take when reading their posts in general.

I hate that Bill Murray thing. For new posters it makes a very bad impression and is a very elitist thing. Some duplicate posters are flamers, but others simply don't know the rules yet. IMO its very offensive to open up your first new thread on this board, expecting a solid discussion on your topic, and instead get some dumb clock with people laughing at you.

2. Even though I have HOF status, I have no idea what people on this board think of me. That is why I strongly reccomend a rating system that is frequently used by anybody who cares about the well being of this site IN A FAIR WAY. Good newcomers will feel much more welcome when they have high approval rating or they will respond to a bad rating by trying to create a more intelligent post. Those who whine about their bad rating are the ones we don't want on this board.

3. I remember when I first opened the HOF Forums. I thought "Cool! A place when we can have intelligent conversation." Then I opened up the welcome thread, and didn't feel welcome at all because half of the people here were basically saying I didn't belong. That again reflects a poor attitude on what older posters care about. Many have been here for much longer than I, and I have been here for more than a year because I care about football and love to talk/argue about it. We shouldn't be focusing on being elitist and caring about # of posts.

Then I started a strategy thread here, thinking it was going to be a hit, but in the end no one really wanted to talk about the subject. I was a bit miffed by that, because it scares me to think a HOFer would rather chase newbies away than have a good conversation here. I think the older posters are being bogged down by the task of making aggresive posters unwelcome and it is distracting us from the real purpose of this site. I take a passive attitude versus almost all trolls, yet I still realize that the site is less fun.

To sum it up, good conversation will breed more good conversation. If mods are active enough trolls can be ignored by others and disposed of by mods, which IMO is the best way to handle it. Also, a rating system cannot hurt. If wew don't choose to go that path however we can still be nice and include newer posters in popular threads.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I don't try to be, but most of the time I have been a "Me Too" person.
    The majority of us are here for reason.
    We have found the perfect site for the team that we love and is run by a great group of people.
    Especially Webby.
    Think there is a reason why PPO has almost 7,000 members,
    It's run correctly and it needs to stay the way it is.
    It can only get better.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

I just wanted to give props to the Mods..theres no frggen way I could do that kinda work here on this site..Its bad enough having children at home to watch, and then to come here and watch them.
    :P

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"vikes09" wrote:
    about the articles and COJOs predicament, i personally like all the articles that are circulated, i would miss most if they were elsewhere. its hard when everyone rushes to post an article and then theres 4 diffrent threads on the same topic w/in 4 seconds of each other. frustrating to those who are slammed for posting an article twice. just a polite DELETE from a mod would be nice. itd probably be best to not even present a chance to create tension or hard feelings toward another member.

and having cajun there to not be AS sloppy when spelling is a nice reminder to use proper grammer and TRY to spell without a lot of errors. (im sure there are a few in that sentence alone!)

my 2 cents...
    Bro, I 100%
    agree.

However...all hell breaks loose when we do this.
    Oh man!
    A member posts an obvious duplicate and they come back and cannot find it.
    Then they start a new thread about the mods being nazi's.
    It used to happen once in awhile and its not pretty.

Besides, the "Lock" is a good tool.
    A member should look at this and say "Oops, I should do a better job checking"

Del Rio Guest

"Then I opened up the welcome thread, and didn't feel welcome at all because half of the people here were basically saying I didn't belong. That again reflects a poor attitude on what older posters care about"

I dont get it at all.

I would also say to those who say there is not enough football content, you need to bump the threads so they stay in view.
    You can start a good thread and have it vanish on page 5 the next day.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I wrote this to Ultra and I think it is very important to mention it again to all PPO'ers.
    We find duplicate articles and I have been as guilty of this as anyone but we'd have far fewer duplicates if the person making the PPO post would use the same headline as in the original article you are posting.
    I know Singer always does this but many don't.
    If I find an article that I think is interesting, I do a search by the headline and if it doesn't match, I assume it's not posted and post it only to find out someone else posted it under their own made-up headline.
    So let's try to do this right and we'll have far less duplicate articles.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast