Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: An open request to the HOFers on PP.O

"cogitans" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    I personally haven't been around as much because of life circumstances.
    When I have been here, I haven't been able to participate as much, mostly because of the size of PPO.
    I don't post as much because everything here seems watered down, so many little posts, that I don't have time to sift through to the good stuff.

I sometimes start to type a post and say, I don't have anything more to add than what has already been said.

I like the PPO of old.
    I am glad that so many people get a chance to use PPO, but it has become watered down to me.
    JMHO.

Don't get me wrong, PPO is the only Viking site that I frequent.
    I couldn't have said it any better than that.

It's dificult when you come in and every interesting topic is at least 3-5 pages.

But I guess I should just stop bitching and get to posting.

PP.O of yee old were always a place of insight as I recall it. I hope it's not getting as watered down as is suggest here.
    I disagree. I like reading the little comments. Sometimes the long ones get boring and I just move past them. Usually the ones that make me laugh are one liners. It brightens the day.

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    There are 142 hall of famers.
    How many post on a regular basis and how many have quit or been chased away because of of obnoxious members?
    Quitting is for the weak. I thought about it once but then I thought why the fuck would I do that.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    There are 142 hall of famers.
    How many post on a regular basis and how many have quit or been chased away because of of obnoxious members?
    My guess is most left for other reasons. I stop posting for periods of time just because I find something else to kill time with, or I have less free time. Anyone who feels they have been chased out takes the internet too seriously or is too sensitive.
    Obnoxious members, click ignore, it's not that difficult.
    +1 There is an ignore button for a reason.

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Stop acting like donkey butts.

*snip*

If I am the only one who feels this way, let me know.
    I can retire to the ranks of lurker with the others if need be.
    But I suspect that almost all of us would prefer some more maturity here.
    Thanks for listening to my rant.
    As I've always said - this is the internet kiddie pool.
    PPO is as civil a place as I have ever been.
    Long-time members who want to leave need to spend some time in some other places so they realize how good it is here.

I am personally attacked more than anyone.
    I can handle it, for the most part.
    When lies are used to attack me as a human being and father, that's when the line is crossed.

If you want to make an appeal, then I think it should be to ask "long-time members" not to post the same "hate" in every single thread they go into.
    That's the only thing that drives me from wanting to be around here.

I will try to do better.
    But if I am personally provoked or attacked, I'm going to respond.
    Until such time as the men in charge tell me to cut it out - which they have only on certain occasions.

Crying for the "Good Old Days" ignores the reality of what a changing society means for both the "good" and the "worse".
    Things change.

Sorry if this isn't as concillatory and rah-rah as others have been.

=Z=
    Lack of conciliation and rah-rah is no reason to apologize. I completely agree with what you've said in that post.

I think one of the major problems we face is everyone seems to think a post contrary to what they wrote is an attack on what they believe about a particular issue, and see it only as an attack. The what you wrote, no matter what it really meant gets ignored for some blown up argument, and eventually buried in a thread. It amazes me how many good posts get ignored because a handful of people are arguing something irrelevant to the topic at hand.

A lot if it is arrogance, someone will try to pick apart your post while ignoring the point you're making as a whole. Sometimes I hate writing more than just a few lines because of that.

Text is a lot harder to read into than verbal communication. Everyone just needs to take what they read at face value and respond to that, read the whole post before you freak out about one sentence and get an idea of something to write in your head.

As far as the "hate" goes, you're correct. Every single thread seems to turn into the same few debates, and it's getting old, I've seen more threads derailed this off season than ever before.
    I never understood the whole burying of a post. It is not like you can't go back and read it. I see all posts even with the arguing.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    When I have been here, I haven't been able to participate as much, mostly because of the size of PPO.
    I don't post as much because everything here seems watered down, so many little posts, that I don't have time to sift through to the good stuff.

I sometimes start to type a post and say, I don't have anything more to add than what has already been said.

I like the PPO of old.
    I am glad that so many people get a chance to use PPO, but it has become watered down to me.
    JMHO.

Just my opinion but if this is the case with some mods then maybe we need to think about adding more.
    I wasn't complaining.
    But I would say that for me or any of the mods to read everything is a real time commitment.
    I think we rely on the HOFers and other members to report a lot to us.
    We rely on your eyes!

I hope you didn't think I was complaining.
    I meant that I sometimes don't have time to post, not that I don't read.
    Once I get done reading, I don't feel like there is anything left to say in a post.

No I did think you were complaining at all. I am just saying that if some mods don't think they can make the time commitment then maybe we need more.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

I like the PPO of old.
    JMHO.

Just my opinion but if this is the case with some mods then maybe we need to think about adding more.
    I wasn't complaining.
    But I would say that for me or any of the mods to read everything is a real time commitment.
    I think we rely on the HOFers and other members to report a lot to us.
    We rely on your eyes!

I hope you didn't think I was complaining.
    I meant that I sometimes don't have time to post, not that I don't read.
    Once I get done reading, I don't feel like there is anything left to say in a post.

No I did think you were complaining at all. I am just saying that if some mods don't think they can make the time commitment then maybe we need more.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44152.0

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Have things gotten less strict or do mods just overlook a lot.
    It seems like people were getting banned all the time and we had a lot more trolls.

I know I got banned for an hour the first week I was here
    I used to get a lot more reports about posts someone did not like.
    I get very few now.
    Most of the bans involved fans from other teams letting their smack talk get out of hand.
    Its not really a matter of strictness its that in general most people are better behaved now than they have been in the past.

As to negative posting well that is partly because there hasn't been a lot to cheer about the last few years.
    At least the draft and FA the last two years was exciting.
    More so than the actual season.
    This year the draft and FA was pretty boring, with the exception that we lost a couple of good players.
    The team better hit the ground running this year or the negative comments will only get worse.
    In general we try to
    stay on top of personal attacks but disagreeing or arguing about the team, is in part,s what fans do.
    If the team does well spirits go up and people celebrate.
    If the team does crappy spirits go down and people complain and analyze it to death.

If someone is out of line report it.
    In the off season we don't look at everything unless it gets flagged in some way.
    We are a little more on top of it during the season.
    This year people seem to be a lot less playful.
    I think it is because of the economy, and the fact that we have pretty much the same team we had last year.
    That is sort of depressing unless they play better this year than they did last.
    The HOF'ers have the experience to bring some perspective to the forums and to discussions.
    If a thread is turning negative try to shed a little light into it.

WWBGD

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

I like checking in but not posting much anymore.
    Most of it is just rehashed arguments that have been used over and over.
    You can usually pick just about any issue and there is already a preset group of people on either side.
    I love this site but it can be obnoxious to try to get into an argument sometimes, either new members get ignored or rejected off hand.

There is still some good discussions out there but I've found that I'm becoming more interested talking and debating about non football related things rather than if T-Jack is going to start or not.
    Well that and making fun of Marr in a drive by fashion as he put it.
    ;D

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Schutz" wrote:
    You can usually pick just about any issue and there is already a preset group of people on either side.
    I love this site but it can be obnoxious to try to get into an argument sometimes, either new members get ignored or rejected off hand.

There is still some good discussions out there but I've found that I'm becoming more interested talking and debating about non football related things rather than if T-Jack is going to start or not.

;D
    +1...most of this is rehashed pooh.
    People are bored and they are gonna argue.
    Look at the TJ topic, there really is not much else to post about.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Schutz" wrote:

;D
    Hey, all members get put on the spreadsheet and tracked My Sexy Little Pixie.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast