Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOF Strategy

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: HOF Strategy

1. Did we plan all along to have Taylor carry the ball 30 times?
    - I think the plan should be run the ball 30+ times. control the clock, keep the defense fresh. I assume this was his plan from the start, but not all with Taylor.

3. The Redskins tried to exploit Greg Blue as a weakness in our D, but it really didn't work. What do you think the reason for that is?
    - He is just a guy playing his role in the system. Not more to it than that.

4. Can we expect a lot of blitzes throughout the season or do you think the lack of pressure (no sacks) was the reason for increased blitzing?
    - nothing wrong with a little blitzing. but the front 4 has to get to the quarterback.

5. It all worked out in the end, but what did you think of Childress' playcalling on the final drive?
    - i was screaming at them to run the ball. that is all we had to do. the announcers, and my dad, was calling for a pass and i thought that that could have been the stupiest thing ever. throws in redzone = int = you loose. that was the last way i wanted our night to end. big deal it was the same play, all to the left, it worked and it will work again.
    We're bringing purple back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"gregair13" wrote:
    1. Did we plan all along to have Taylor carry the ball 30 times?
    - I think the plan should be run the ball 30+ times. control the clock, keep the defense fresh. I assume this was his plan from the start, but not all with Taylor.

3. The Redskins tried to exploit Greg Blue as a weakness in our D, but it really didn't work. What do you think the reason for that is?
    - He is just a guy playing his role in the system. Not more to it than that.

4. Can we expect a lot of blitzes throughout the season or do you think the lack of pressure (no sacks) was the reason for increased blitzing?
    - nothing wrong with a little blitzing. but the front 4 has to get to the quarterback.

5. It all worked out in the end, but what did you think of Childress' playcalling on the final drive?
    - i was screaming at them to run the ball. that is all we had to do. the announcers, and my dad, was calling for a pass and i thought that that could have been the stupiest thing ever. throws in redzone = int = you loose. that was the last way i wanted our night to end. big deal it was the same play, all to the left, it worked and it will work again.

I don't think that even Chester Taylor will hold up if we continue to give him 30+ carries a game, I would like to see 20 to 25 carries a game and have MeMo get 10 to 12.

I think that we will see more blitzing than we expect and done right could be a huge factor in games even if we are getting good pressure from our front 4.

I would have liked to seen maybe a end around or a screen pass something to take advantage of the short yardage D that the Skin's were running, and if you can score a TD then you force them to get a TD because the almost sent it into OT.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

why risk throwing when you can run the clock out and kick a field goal?

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

It's not a risk when Brad Johnson is your QB. I trust him with the ball 100%.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Del Rio Guest

"V-Unit" wrote:
    Risking passes at the end of the game has very little to do with the QB. The play itself is more dangerous, the ball getting tipped at the line, deflected in flight, of the WR's pads.........lots of things can go wrong between point A and point B that the QB has absolutely no control over.

"Del" wrote:
    "V-Unit" wrote:
    Risking passes at the end of the game has very little to do with the QB. The play itself is more dangerous, the ball getting tipped at the line, deflected in flight, of the WR's pads.........lots of things can go wrong between point A and point B that the QB has absolutely no control over.
    and that was the exact reason i was yelling for a run left call once we got field goal range.

Some more questions to
    debate:

1. Have you ever seen a defense that gets better as the game goes on?
    2. What are your thoughts on the missed call in overtime?
    3. How come we made no adjustments to help Johnson against Peppers?
    4. Can you believe John Fox's stupidity in OKing that call?
    5. Some members on the board have voiced displeasure with the playcalling, what do you think?

1. I'm just in awe about our D. I don't know whether its passion, character, or talent, but it all comes together in the end. FRENZY! If Tomlin keeps coaching like this he coach be a coordinator for too long. I love how the whole defense has bought into the system, and makes afjustments to completely shut the other team down. I think it speaks volumes that it was a cohesive team effort of that side of the ball.

2. I think Childress needs to make a fuss about it, not to show me he cares, but because there is a chance for the NFL to tweak the rule here. It is obvious that Delhomme was not trying to throw the ball, so it can be a incomplete pass. No one will say anything because we won, but the NFL Ryules committee should make the proper adjustment in the rule book. Maybe the booth sould give the ref one look at the play in full speed.

3. I understand that it is hard to track Peppers because he lines up on both sides, but shouldn't a veteran like Matt Birk have the ability to make changes in the blocking assignments when he was lined up against Johnson? Instead wqe chose to ignore their best player, that isn't a very good strategy.

4. The only reason I can think of is that we were frustating the Carolina offense very badly and Fox was trying to get a big play to clinch the game. Had it worked we would have been talking about that play as the game ender, instead it was the game changer. The coverage was so good that the call was doomed from the beginning. A veteran would have just eaten it, but Gamble also threw a HORRIBLE lateral.

5. I don't think it was that bad. Brad didn't have time in the pocket to deliver long shots and we still ran the ball 25 times. Carolina defended well against the pass all day. I am even betting that some shots were called, but Brad either checked down or got sacked.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Yes.
    The '85 Bears and 2000 Ravens.
    The Vikes D has given up SIX POINTS in two second-halfs this year.
    Just outstanding.

The rule is the rule.
    It's a horrendous call, to be sure, but it is the rule.
    Can't be changed in-season, so I'm just glad it didn't end up costing the Vikes the game.

They did!
    They had JimmyK over there doubling him a large part of the game, especially in the 2nd half.
    Jermaine Wiggins was coming out of the game in almost EVERY single-TE set, because JimmyK was in there to help with Peppers.
    Give Julius the credit he deserves - that was as good a game as I've seen from a D-Lineman in quite a while.

No.
    But if the fake FG had failed and the Vikes had lost the game because of that, we'd all be calling that a stupid play-call rather than genius.

5. Some members on the board have voiced displeasure with the playcalling, what do you think?
    I hated the 3rd-and-goal-from-the-15-draw-play-to-MeMo call.
    That's chickenshit, IMHO.
    The FG is almost a guarantee from the 15, so I think they needed to take a shot at the end zone.
    And there were several times when the Vikes could have taken shots down the field (situationally) that they didn't.
    But I can't argue with the results, that's for sure.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i'll comment on some

well, i can say ours has seemed to get better as the game goes on, tomlin/the D makes adjustments and changes it up some as the game goes on, look at the points we've given up 1st half vs 2nd half this year, look at yardage also

eh, we all know there were 2 or three iffy calls that game. there are 2 rules that we can really argue, the fumble call, which could have cost us the game had we not pushed so well, and the out of bounds call.

the fumble was bull, we all know, but thats how the rule is written, so unfortunatly its indisputable, they need to look into that this year and have a clause in the rule that can argue intent of the QB to throw

the out of bounds.. also unfortunatly was called correctly, his arm hit out of bounds before his foot/ass hit in bounds, would have been different had twill just wrapped both arms around the ball and taken the fall, but again, nothing we can do

peppers constantly switched sides, and like zues said they often did throw jimmy on top of him, or tried to have a HB help in coverage, he's just a plain beast

eh, a trick/risky play has worked twice this season so far, got to take a risk sometimes, he was doing what he thought was right at the time (i, however, wouldnt have)

im fine with our coaching staff's play calling so far; look at last year's.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

What are the Key Matchups for this game against the Bears? I think overall this game will be an obvious example of how the game is won in the trenches.

Offense: I think Jermaine Wiggins/Jim Kleinsasser will be key. There are really no weaknesses in the Bears D, so these guys need good days, both pass catching and run blocking. There may be several situations where the receivers aren't getting open, or Brad has little time to throw because of DLine pressure. This makes checkdowns and quick passes important.

Defense: It's all about the LBs. I'm thinking we are going to blitz to try to get to the young QB early and often. I'm also thinking we will be changing defensive formations and hiding coverage to confuse Grossman, and Napo controls all that as the MLB. Finally, the LBs must use their speed to
    plug holes and shut down the run.

Any thoughts?
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast