Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOF Strategy

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

HOF Strategy

This is just a little experiment. I hope it works.

I wanted to talk with the more hardcore fans about the actual strategy we are seeing in the games. Things like original gameplans, halftime adjustments, exploited matchups, and other strategical issues. Much of the board is focused on individual players, but the difference between Tice and Childress can already be seen.

I think coaching strategy and gameplanning is an interesting subject, but I'm no buff, so I thought I would start the thread out with a few stragegical questions. Feel Free to answer with your opinions!

1. Did we plan all along to have Taylor carry the ball 30 times?
    I would think that Moore is able to spell him more than he did against Washington.

2. In the first half Al Saunders' offense had the D a bit confused. What adjustments did we make during halftime to stop the confusion?

3. The Redskins tried to exploit Greg Blue as a weakness in our D, but it really didn't work. What do you think the reason for that is?

4. The defense blitzed a bit more than I was expecting them to. I know this is not typical cover 2, but I think the front four wasn't applying as mcuh pressure as we would have liked them to. Can we expect a lot of blitzes throughout the season or do you think the lack of pressure (no sacks) was the reason for increased blitzing?

5. It all worked out in the end, but what did you think of Childress' playcalling on the final drive? Once we were in field goal position, he did not try for a touchdown. Also, he ran to the left three straight times. I know that is the strength of the OLine, but what is wrong with running right to center the ball for Longwell?

"I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: HOF Strategy

I am not an expert football strategist by any means, but I will weigh in with my opinion on a few of those points.

1) I didn't see a need for Moore to spell Taylor.
    He was running fine, in fact better IMHO, as the game wore on.
    I think if the need arises to spell him more, Coach Childress will do so.

4) I didn't notice a lot of extra blitzes, but I could be wrong. I think the front four were doing well with their penetration, MB was just smart enough to get rid of the ball before getting sacked.

5) I agreed with Childress's playcalling on the final drive 100%.
    It was more important to burn the clock than to go for a touchdown.
    Had we tried to throw a couple in the endzone and had an incomplete pass, the skins would have had a time out left, which would have meant at least one chance throw into the endzone for them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Not only did we have a Gameplan to begin with, but what amazes me is that we stuck to it even when times got tough. In the past we would have quit trying to run the ball early and would have become turnover prone because we didn't have the patience.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I am not an expert football strategist by any means, but I will weigh in with my opinion on a few of those points.

1) I didn't see a need for Moore to spell Taylor.
    He was running fine, in fact better IMHO, as the game wore on.
    I think if the need arises to spell him more, Coach Childress will do so.

4) I didn't notice a lot of extra blitzes, but I could be wrong. I think the front four were doing well with their penetration, MB was just smart enough to get rid of the ball before getting sacked.

5) I agreed with Childress's playcalling on the final drive 100%.
    It was more important to burn the clock than to go for a touchdown.
    Had we tried to throw a couple in the endzone and had an incomplete pass, the skins would have had a time out left, which would have meant at least one chance throw into the endzone for them.
    It's more of a change-of-pace thing than spelling Taylor...it throws off the defense to have to adjust to different running styles.

Brunell is a puss...he was ditching the ball WAY too early so he wouldn't get hit...and that roughing the QB call was LAME...yet the Skins crowd cheered that...while booing the OBVIOUS late hit call on Sean Taylor!

You are dead on though on the fact that Childress's strategy was perfect.
    We WON...and now that is all that matters.
    The one thing that Childress seems to have down pat after only ONE game is something that Tice never mastered...CLOCK MANAGEMENT!
    If this game is any indication of Coach Chill's game management skills, we should be JUST FINE, thank you very much!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

No, I don't think in anyone's mind Taylor would have that many carries.
    MeMo did not look good and Chester was grinding out good yards late in the 3rd and into the 4th.
    When it came time to chew the clock, giving Taylor 5 more carries wasn't any big deal.
    It was all about holding onto the ball and running time down.

2. In the first half Al Saunders' offense had the D a bit confused. What adjustments did we make during halftime to stop the confusion?
    Who knows what adjustments were made.
    I think that Sharper's big hit woke them all up a bit to the nasty side of this D.

3. The Redskins tried to exploit Greg Blue as a weakness in our D, but it really didn't work. What do you think the reason for that is?
    Steady D-Line pressure, nickle & dime packages whenever the Skins were in 3 WR sets and exploiting a safety in the Tampa2 isn't as easy as picking on a rookie corner (which they did to Ced Griffin a couple times).

4. The defense blitzed a bit more than I was expecting them to.
    I thought the D-Line had steady pressure all night long.
    Don't just judge that based on the number of sacks.
    You've also got to look at the lousy Redskins 3rd-down conversion rate.
    Steady pressure forced bad throws or throw-aways on several occasions in the 2nd half.
    That's what veteran QBs (like Brunell and Brad) should do - protect the ball.

5. It all worked out in the end, but what did you think of Childress' playcalling on the final drive?
    I would have liked to have seen a shot at the end zone, but chewing the clock and taking the safe FG is also a sound choice.
    If you have a chance to win on the road, you gotta go for the best chance which is a lead, other team with no TOs and only a minute left on the clock.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

im not going to comment on all 5, but as for the amount they planned to have taylor carry the ball, i'd say they planned to run the ball about 30 times, at least 20 of them coming from CT and 10 from fason/moore.

the reason for him running so much was our a couple of our drives just pounding on them to run down the clock

as for the exploitation of blue, i'd say it was 2 things, like previously said its harder to exploit a rookie in the tampa 2, but i'd say blue had a little less on his play because of usual excellent play of sharper and winfield, and the stepped up play of smoot

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Just because we're HOF'ers, doesn't necessarrily mean we are more "hard-core" fans than members with less than 1250 posts.

The "Interview" & "Thread about nothing" threads bred many a HOF'ers.
    ;D

Disclaimer: This is not a shot at you Prophet.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

1. Did we plan all along to have Taylor carry the ball 30 times? I doubt it. If Childress' real intent was to run the ball at all cost regardless of production I would think he would run HB by committe. I would be surprised to see C. Taylor get 30 carries a game all year. I am also not buying into the idea that Childress will run no matter what because it is in his gameplan. We were never in the hole bad enough to make us stop. If we fell down 14 you would see a huge drop in the # of runs.

I noticed in the first half the CB's were playing far off the ball I assume it was because they didnt want to fall behind. Smoot later said in an interview that they could tell they wanted to go deep. It seems at half time they brought the defense forward.

He is a saftey. So he has 10 guys in front of him they have to get through before they can "exploit" him.

The line was eating up the pocket. Forcing Brunell to roll out. The blitzes IMO were sent to force him to throw the ball away which he did immediately. I think he was a bit TOO EAGER to get rid of the ball.

5. It all worked out in the end, but what did you think of Childress' playcalling on the final drive?
    I honestly think from looking at the game that Childress leaves a lot of the playcalling to the QB. The running plays have very little variation and I think they ran with the intent to make the Skins burn their timeouts.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I'm certainly no expert but Childress did mention in his press conference that he likes to see a runner get "lathered up," and that he used MeMo just for a change of pace. So I think there were a LOT of carries in the plan. Maybe not 30 but "lots."

I liked Del Rio's answer to this question. But I noticed that the Redskins did a lot of shifting and threw about every formation in the book at the Vikes. That can make for a lot of cunfusion the first game. I think a lot of the "adjustment" was just sorting things out.

Even though Blue was a newcomer, he isn't that bad a player. He got beat a couple of times just playing "safe" but all in all, he played a great game.

That is the hallmark of the Tomlin defense. Create confusion -- lots of movement -- pressure on the QB. You can do that if you got solid backups behind you covering your rear.

In that final drive you saw Childress' coach style. Nothing flashy. No chancy plays, just keep grinding it out and protect the ball for the final play. It's not the kind of football the fans like to see and neither did the TV announcers who were saying that a pass could have worked for a TD. But like I said, that's not Childress' style. Expect Childress to always go for the conservative approach. You got a taste of that in the very first pre-season game when he didn't go for the win but allowed the game to end in a tie. It was meaningless to win and someone could have gotten hurt.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

I doubt he had a strict number of carries for any one person. Running with Taylor was working, and he stuck with it.

That one, I'm going to defer to Del's answer. I was dealing with a three year old for much of the first half, so I wasn't able to watch as closely as I otherwise would have.

1. He's a decent player
    2. He's a safety, so it's harder for an offense to try to direct a play at him than, say, a corner.

4. The defense blitzed a bit more than I was expecting them to....
    I seemed to me that the front four was putting pressure on MB pretty consistantly.

I liked it. If there had been a little less time on the clock, I think you might have seen them go for the endzone on the last play, but as it was, it was more important to run down the clock and force Washington to use their time outs. Plus, this is the first game for a new coaching staff, on national TV. Everyone is curious to see how he's going to handle these situations. I'm not saying that this entered Childress' mind as he was calling the plays, but he's establish a pattern in people's minds now. He might be able to use that to set up late-game play action later in the season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast