Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Good:
    The way the team came together after the Green Bay FUBAR and for the most part played well.
    Add a few key players and I see a very bright future of our Vikes.

Bad:
    Some of Chilly's calls and strategies

Ugly:
    T (I can't catch a cold) Will's lack of progress and T-Jack's sandlot style playing.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Good:
    Improvement over previous year w/ some good, young players

Bad:
    An inconsistant offense

Ugly:
    A defense that cannot stop the pass

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The Good:
    The progress this team has made.

The Bad:
    The areas they still need to progress in.

The Ugly: Posters on this site who use the same old cliche's in an attempt to make everyone think they actually know something about football.
    Truth be told if you use of these cliche's and don't back it up with any kindof substance you actually look dumber than if you would have just not posted anything.....

We can't make adjustments.
    (I bet none of you even have a clue what adjustments are)
    Our playcalling sucks.
    (I bet none of you can even diagram a play let alone use the terms for it)
    Our players looked flat.
    (Faster teams make slower teams look flat.
    We played a faster team).
    We need to change the scheme to fit the players talents.
    (You realize the players on this team were drafted because thier talents fit the scheme.)
    Our coaches are hold the players back. (This one makes me just scratch my head and say WHAT)
    When players such as Winfield & Sharper make note of it, I tend to regard that as credible.

As you craft your posts and feel the need to type one of these cliche's now that most knowledgable fans will feel the need to type YUTZ in responding to you but will hold back because we must play nice with the mindless posters of drivel cause if we slam on you we will be labeled as mean.
    (No smiley face).
    WOW Marr! You shocked me with that one.

(Now, speaking in general & not directed at you Marr, it’s just that your post & its following rebuttals prompted me to post thoughts that have boiling inside me for some time);

I used to think this was a fan site, but I guess this is fast becoming a site for “experts” or “well learned” only.
    Many of us haven’t played football, but that doesn’t mean just because we don’t know the intricacies of the game, doesn’t mean we don’t have opinions based on our observations. After all, that is what this community was all about when I joined & one of the things I enjoyed about it.

People have been & fear to post here due to ridicule & if they are somewhat knowledgeable but make a typo, the thread Nazi(s) comes out & lays into them as if they were lower class citizens.

Spelling & grammar doesn’t matter here & shouldn’t be policed. It’s one of Webby’s golden rules not to criticize people for it yet when it happens, it rarely gets enforced. Sometimes posters will do it in fun & make light of it if they know the poster & do it in jest followed by an appropriate smiley, but far to often, it is done in a belittling fashion as if to say I’m better than you & I’m smarter than you.

The last instance of it I read prompted me to delete my membership two days ago. Webby just hasn’t pulled the trigger yet & is awaiting a reply from an e-mail he sent. It’s becoming more evident which side of the fence I will fall on. The only thing that keeps me waffling is the friends I have made on this site & what this site has done for me both on & off the forums.

This is no longer the site I joined 2 years ago, far from it. It is sad indeed. Facts to disprove another’s observations are fine, but to make them feel like they aren’t worthy to be or post here isn’t.

There is none of here, with the exception of Brian Robison, who knows what goes on inside the locker rooms, in players meetings & what coaches actually change or don’t change & the reasons behind it.
    All the football knowledge in the world won’t change that one iota. Everything is based off what we read in papers, stats & formulated opinions based on what we know.

No one should fear to post here, but they do. They feel intimidated. I’ve read it in several posts throughout the 2 years I was here & have had others tell me personally.
    Ever wonder why so many lurkers continue to lurk & not join? Food for thought.

Most of the fun & enjoyment of coming here is gone for me & IMO is not what it used to be when I joined. It’s not what Webby intended, I can assure you of that.

If anyone has any doubts, ask the questions. Start a poll where a member can vote anonymously & let his voice be heard or a forum where their identity won’t be known when others read it.

IMO, their concerns should be shared with all, not just the mods.

God knows I haven’t been a saint here 100% of the time & I apologize for that. Sorry beforehand for possibly derailing this thread & getting chastised for it, but in all honesty it does fit in with the good, the bad & the ugly.

Three things to remember, especially with the draft approaching…….

Courtesy, Respect & Tact

Singer out

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly: Posters on this site who use the same old cliche's in an attempt to make everyone think they actually know something about football.
    Truth be told if you use of these cliche's and don't back it up with any kindof substance you actually look dumber than if you would have just not posted anything.....

Our playcalling sucks.
    Our players looked flat.
    (You realize the players on this team were drafted because thier talents fit the scheme.)
    Our coaches are hold the players back. (This one makes me just scratch my head and say WHAT)
    When players such as Winfield & Sharper make note of it, I tend to regard that as credible.

As you craft your posts and feel the need to type one of these cliche's now that most knowledgable fans will feel the need to type YUTZ in responding to you but will hold back because we must play nice with the mindless posters of drivel cause if we slam on you we will be labeled as mean.
    (No smiley face).

(Now, speaking in general & not directed at you Marr, it’s just that your post & its following rebuttals prompted me to post thoughts that have boiling inside me for some time);

I used to think this was a fan site, but I guess this is fast becoming a site for “experts” or “well learned” only.
    Many of us haven’t played football, but that doesn’t mean just because we don’t know the intricacies of the game, doesn’t mean we don’t have opinions based on our observations. After all, that is what this community was all about when I joined & one of the things I enjoyed about it.

People have been & fear to post here due to ridicule & if they are somewhat knowledgeable but make a typo, the thread Nazi(s) comes out & lays into them as if they were lower class citizens.

Spelling & grammar doesn’t matter here & shouldn’t be policed. It’s one of Webby’s golden rules not to criticize people for it yet when it happens, it rarely gets enforced. Sometimes posters will do it in fun & make light of it if they know the poster & do it in jest followed by an appropriate smiley, but far to often, it is done in a belittling fashion as if to say I’m better than you & I’m smarter than you.

The last instance of it I read prompted me to delete my membership two days ago. Webby just hasn’t pulled the trigger yet & is awaiting a reply from an e-mail he sent. It’s becoming more evident which side of the fence I will fall on. The only thing that keeps me waffling is the friends I have made on this site & what this site has done for me both on & off the forums.

This is no longer the site I joined 2 years ago, far from it. It is sad indeed. Facts to disprove another’s observations are fine, but to make them feel like they aren’t worthy to be or post here isn’t.

There is none of here, with the exception of Brian Robison, who knows what goes on inside the locker rooms, in players meetings & what coaches actually change or don’t change & the reasons behind it.
    All the football knowledge in the world won’t change that one iota. Everything is based off what we read in papers, stats & formulated opinions based on what we know.

No one should fear to post here, but they do. They feel intimidated. I’ve read it in several posts throughout the 2 years I was here & have had others tell me personally.

Most of the fun & enjoyment of coming here is gone & IMO is running on a shell of it’s former self. It’s not what Webby intended, I can assure you of that.

If anyone has any doubts, ask the questions. Start a poll where a member can vote anonymously & let his voice be heard or a forum where their identity won’t be known when others read it.

God knows I haven’t been a saint here 100% of the time & I apologize for that. Sorry beforehand for possibly derailing this thread & getting chastised for it, but in all honesty it does fit in with the good, the bad & the ugly.

Courtesy, Respect & Tact

Singer out
    I don't know what to say to this.

First of all I can say that I do not share your feelings about the site. But that doesn't mean that I don't know what you mean about people being afraid to post.

I always encourage people to share their opinions around here. I know it can be rough at times, but there are a lot of kids letting out steam too, and generally I think the mods are doing a good job of setting down the foot when necessary.

I'd always be ready to discuss the way that veteran posters behave, even if I know it's a sensitive subject, and one we'll all have difficult - and not unbiased - opinions on.

All in all I think it's a general loss if we'll have to do with out capacities like yourself.

I think I have more on this, but that's all for now.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The Good:

The Bad:

Our playcalling sucks.
    Our players looked flat.

(No smiley face).

Most of the fun & enjoyment of coming here is gone for me & IMO is not what it used to be when I joined. It’s not what Webby intended, I can assure you of that.

Courtesy, Respect & Tact

Singer out
    I agree, this place has gone from being fun to a place where bullies pick on people...and a lot of the regulars have dissapeared because of it

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The Good:

The Bad:

Our playcalling sucks.
    Our players looked flat.

(No smiley face).

Courtesy, Respect & Tact

Singer out
    Well said my friend.

I agree with all of your points but would also like to add that just because a poster posts something (and you know the types of threads my comment was direct at) they shouldn't get a free ride just because they aren't the most knowledgable in that subject.

Look, long story short, if you feel the need to post keep it in the back of your mind that someone will probably feel the need to respond.

In most cases the responder will disagree with you.
    It isn't because that poster hates you or has some vendetta against you but rather that he just plain old doesn't agree with your statement.

Don't take it so personnel.
    Feel free to add more to your post in its defense or to add additional info to your original post in an effort to sway the poster to your way of thinking.

Long story short, some people know more, some people know less but most of us are here to voice our opinions and get input on those opinions.
    Heck most of us whether we think we know all there is or not are here to cheer for the team we love, and yes, learn about that team and the game.

If people would take that approach to posting and reading post (and most do IMHO) then maybe just maybe we will continue to be the best site on the net.

As for you, I do hope you elect to stick with the site.
    Sure someone will fill the void and add the articles but your insight into the game and views such as this will be missed my friend.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I can see what Singer is saying. Most of the time fans find this site and want to come in here and either celebrate or bitch, depending on the outcome of the game and for them, they are just looking for a place to come in and blow off steam without having to do a research paper to post their opinion. On the other hand there are guys who have been here a long tima and there is probably a sense of monotony to see "Fire Childress" starting a thread 6 times a week.

Having been around the forum block a few times, it seems to me that it would be beneficial to the site
    to have a general forum, like Vikings 101 for the newbies and fans who just want to casually discuss the team without having to labeled a YUTZ, and for those who want to go deeper into discussion and what to debate stats etc in more detail, we could have a Vikings PHD that may do a better job of keeping the old guard occupied.

The forum has grown and is continuing to grow and at some point it is advantageous to alter the forums to take advantage of the expanding base.

Just a thought

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I can see what Singer is saying. Most of the time fans find this site and want to come in here and either celebrate or beeyatch, depending on the outcome of the game and for them, they are just looking for a place to come in and blow off steam without having to do a research paper to post their opinion. On the other hand there are guys who have been here a long tima and there is probably a sense of monotony to see "Fire Childress" starting a thread 6 times a week.

Having been around the forum block a few times, it seems to me that it would be beneficial to the site
    to have a general forum, like Vikings 101 for the newbies and fans who just want to casually discuss the team without having to labeled a YUTZ, and for those who want to go deeper into discussion and what to debate stats etc in more detail, we could have a Vikings PHD that may do a better job of keeping the old guard occupied.

The forum has grown and is continuing to grow and at some point it is advantageous to alter the forums to take advantage of the expanding base.

Just a thought
    Do you really think they will read that type of stuff?

First of all I believe that most of them think they know everything (I sure the hell don't) and will just blow that type of stuff off.

Secondly if a 101 thread was written, it would only stay as current as often as it was bumped.
    I can speak from authority, I tried that early on and none of those threads got any play.

I did a great one on our WR's that got like 6 responses and was very limited in the view area.

I also did on one the OL that got a bit more play but also wasn't a big hit.

Although I see your point, I have made attempts to do that sort of thing and it doesn't go very far.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I can see what Singer is saying. Most of the time fans find this site and want to come in here and either celebrate or beeyatch, depending on the outcome of the game and for them, they are just looking for a place to come in and blow off steam without having to do a research paper to post their opinion. On the other hand there are guys who have been here a long tima and there is probably a sense of monotony to see "Fire Childress" starting a thread 6 times a week.

Just a thought

First of all I believe that most of them think they know everything (I sure the hell don't) and will just blow that type of stuff off.

Secondly if a 101 thread was written, it would only stay as current as often as it was bumped.
    I can speak from authority, I tried that early on and none of those threads got any play.

I did a great one on our WR's that got like 6 responses and was very limited in the view area.

Although I see your point, I have made attempts to do that sort of thing and it doesn't go very far.
    I don't think you understood. I am talking about separate forums like we have the fan forum, hof etc. Not different threads in the same forum

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Just a thought

I don't think you understood. I am talking about separate forums like we have the fan forum, hof etc. Not different threads in the same forum
    I understood and I think it is a good idea but I don't think it would get much play.
    Luckily I don't have a vote.
    Again, it is a good idea.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast