Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Who is the best looking actress/actor

I'm just teasin' ya DC don't worry.
    ;-)

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

14 million is alot but how many would agree?

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Yes Cajun, if he drank almost a fifth a day. That is a lot of alcohol. And don't ask the question if you aren't prepared for the answer. I am sure you loved your grandfather but that would be an alcoholic by anyone's definiton.
    Doesn't bother me...he actually was a bastard...smoked, drank, gambled, cheated on my gramma, beat my gramma and his kids...we laugh about it now but it really hurt his family back then...and has left lasting scars.

BUT, what if I told you that when my grandfather was told this, he sold his bar, quit drinking cold turkey, went into an intervention treatment program with no argument and never touched another drink in his life. Furthermore, six months after he was diagnosed with cirrohsis of the liver, he went back to the doctor and the doctor (to his absolute amazement) pronounced that my grandfather now had the healthy liver of a twenty-year old...he actually called my grandfather a walking miracle. Certainly not the classic liver of an alcoholic that you described earlier. Does that still make him an old alcoholic?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    All of them who know what an alcoholic is & understand alcoholism.

Alcoholism has four major symptoms:

Craving -- A strong need, or compulsion, to drink.

Impaired control -- The inability to limit one's drinking on any given occasion.

Physical dependence -- Withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety, when alcohol use is stopped after a period of heavy drinking.

Tolerance -- The need for increasing amounts of alcohol in order to feel its effects.

Keep in mind, it isn't how much you drink or how often that makes a person an alcholic, but more so the dependancy one has on alcohol.

If a person continues to drink regardless of how it affects their personal & social life, chances are they are alcoholics.

If Cajun's grandfather could stop drinking after that 5th, he is not an alcoholic.

If it didn't affect his personal or social life to the point where his life was unmanagable, he is not an alcoholic.

If the craving to drink is not there, you are not an alcoholic.

Typically, an alcoholic cannot stop drinking once he starts until he is too drunk to continue.

That's about as simply as I can put it.

There are people who abuse alcohol to the point where it affects them physically & healthwise, but if they are not dependant on alcohol, they are not alcoholics.

That's simply called alcohol abuse

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Exactly my point Cajun. He wouldn't have been he would have been a recovering alcoholic. And I was not talking about a person of that nature!! So you have made my point!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    All of them who know what an alcoholic is & understand alcoholism.

Alcoholism has four major symptoms:

Craving -- A strong need, or compulsion, to drink.

Impaired control -- The inability to limit one's drinking on any given occasion.

Physical dependence -- Withdrawal symptoms, such as nausea, sweating, shakiness, and anxiety, when alcohol use is stopped after a period of heavy drinking.

Tolerance -- The need for increasing amounts of alcohol in order to feel its effects.

Keep in mind, it isn't how much you drink or how often that makes a person an alcholic, but more so the dependancy one has on alcohol.

If a person continues to drink regardless of how it affects their personal & social life, chances are they are alcoholics.

If Cajun's grandfather could stop drinking after that 5th, he is not an alcoholic.

If it didn't affect his personal or social life to the point where his life was unmanagable, he is not an alcoholic.

If the craving to drink is not there, you are not an alcoholic.

Typically, an alcoholic cannot stop drinking once he starts until he is too drunk to continue.

That's about as simply as I can put it.

There are people who abuse alcohol to the point where it affects them physically & healthwise, but if they are not dependant on alcohol, they are not alcoholics.

That's simply called alcohol abuse
    Singersp I think that alcoholism is commonly misunderstood. People do not understand it is a disease and that you can be an alcoholic without ever drinking a day in your life. People do not understand the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

You can be an alcoholic without ever drinking a day in your life? Weird, I guess i am one of those people who do not understand the difference then DC. I would love for some enlightenment though!
    ;-)

Singers - you are very involved in this subject but that last part is splitting hairs to me. If his health is damaged and physically he is impaired then that to me and many other Americans he is an alcoholic. And if you damage your health and physically are not as able, it would figure that it is affecting work, social life, home life. It takes quite a bit of time to be able to drink a fifth in a night. I don't know every instance or incident but I can tell you that heavy drinking by a parent in a home, whether you want to believe it or not is bad socially and emotionally for the children. So call it what you will, but this thread has deviated from its original intent and you are intitled to your opinion as am I. Think what you want!

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"MrGopher16" wrote:
    You can be an alcoholic without ever drinking a day in your life? Weird, I guess i am one of those people who do not understand the difference then DC. I would love for some enlightenment though!
    Yes alcoholism is a hereditary disease. Alcoholics do not even necessarily drink at all. You can have the disease and never no because you have never partaken in alcohol. Alcoholics generally function better when there is alcohol in there system. Alcoholics generally do not get DWI's etc because they actually drive better when they have partaken in alcohol. Now alcohol abusers are the ones that get loud and drunk and racous. Generally alocholics are much sneakier and you can not necessarily tell that they have had anything to drink. They like to drink alone.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    "MrGopher16" wrote:
    Yes alcoholism is a hereditary disease. Alcoholics do not even necessarily drink at all. You can have the disease and never no because you have never partaken in alcohol. Alcoholics generally function better when there is alcohol in there system. Alcoholics generally do not get DWI's etc because they actually drive better when they have partaken in alcohol. Now alcohol abusers are the ones that get loud and drunk and racous. Generally alocholics are much sneakier and you can not necessarily tell that they have had anything to drink. They like to drink alone.
    Okay this makes much more sense to me then. So tell me this, does social drinking fit into any one of those two categories...providing you aren't going overboard and getting drunk. I assume that would fit under abuse if you did get out of control.
    ;-)

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast