Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Who is the best looking actress/actor

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Singerz- the joke was about an old alocoholic. Now you tell me you are young and A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC. You are not that type of person. If you would drink for forty more years then you could imagine the damage alcohol would do to your body. You must be offended by Red Skelton's acts, or the way they portrayed Dean Martin. There was an actor in the seventies named Foster Brooks who became famous pretending to be a drunk, wasn't that terrible. He made a living acting like a drunk.

And there is an image of a homeless man drinking from a brown paper bag but you can say that about anything. You wouldn't be able to tell any jokes for fear of stereotyping someone. You couldn't tell one joke about a woman, man, any ethnicity, priest, clergy, politician, or animal (PETA). I just don't take anything on this board that serious. I don't see how talking about someone who you do not even resemble causes you grief.
    Those were people portraying drunks, except for Dino. Drunks & Alcoholics are two different things. I never minded Red or Foster & probably wouldn't today, because I know it would be in jest.

It wasn't your comment that bothered me as much as it was your insinuation that all old alcoholics portray that image.

I thought the same way once upon a time. I see several old alcoholics every week & there far from that image.

I watched my alcoholic uncle die from liver disease in his '70's & he didn't portray that image. It was a terrible deteriorating thing to watch.

I'm simply trying to paint a clearer image of alcoholics than the stereotype people invision.

Like I've posted earlier, only 10-25% of alcoholics die from liver disease.

Some never get a chance to grow old, especially women.

I'm not trying to condemn you for what you post, I'm only trying to point a few things out to people & let you know how I feel.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Singer...just don't tell any Republican jokes...LOL!!!
    Why would I?

Let's just say I'm not very liberal in my voting & leave it at that.

I've never been a member here during an election year, but I'm guessing things get very heated! :grin:

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I was going to post a picture of ACTRESS Courtney Love, cause I thought nothing would say abuse more than that, but I just couldn't stand to put anyone through the torture of actually looking at her. She went downhill fast since her early days of acting.

For a while, she had that trendy heroine look, but the problem was, it wasn't just a look, it was actually the problem.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Singers - I think you are too close to the situation. I am sure that many didn't take it like that and like me really know that a wino living on the street is not the only type of alcoholic. And how do you take more offense to me writing old alcoholic than seeing foster stagering around sounding drunk. That is far worse stereotype than saying old alcoholic in my view!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    He even looks good as an elf! LOTR was how I was first introduced to Orlando!

He looks better as an elf IMO.....I fell in love with him in that movie.
    I thought you didn't like pretty boys??? LIAR!! :grin:
    ;-)

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Singers - I think you are too close to the situation. I am sure that many didn't take it like that and like me really know that a wino living on the street is not the only type of alcoholic. And how do you take more offense to me writing old alcoholic than seeing foster stagering around sounding drunk. That is far worse stereotype than saying old alcoholic in my view!
    I am way to close to the situation. That's why I feel the way I do & you & others don't.

You didn't say just "old alcoholic" you said "old alcoholics liver".

That statement just hits home harder in a tragic family event than Foster & Red playing drunks does.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"MrGopher16" wrote:
    "DCPologirl" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    He even looks good as an elf! LOTR was how I was first introduced to Orlando!

He looks better as an elf IMO.....I fell in love with him in that movie.
    I thought you didn't like pretty boys??? LIAR!! :grin:
    Hey there are exceptions to every rule....and how good he was with that bow and arrow was very very manly to me. I actually don't find him attractive in any other role but that one.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

My grandfather owned a bar for over 50 years and drank close to a fifth of Crown Royal every night...at age 77, the doctor told him that he had cerrhosis of the liver and that if he didn't quit drinking that he would only have six months to live.

Does my grandfather qualify as an old alcoholic in your definition, tark?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Yes Cajun, if he drank almost a fifth a day. That is a lot of alcohol. And don't ask the question if you aren't prepared for the answer. I am sure you loved your grandfather but that would be an alcoholic by anyone's definiton.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Yes Cajun, if he drank almost a fifth a day. That is a lot of alcohol. And don't ask the question if you aren't prepared for the answer. I am sure you loved your grandfather but that would be an alcoholic by anyone's definiton.
    There are 14 million people who will beg to differ with you on that one!

Myself included. :wink: