Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    vikingTurf's Avatar
    vikingTurf is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    134

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:


    Oh, and by the way, we have free speech here.
    I'm not a mod but I'm sure they'd disagree with this comment.
    I fully expect this thing to be locked shortly.
    Actually, I was refering to the United States.

    But we have a pretty long leash here as well.
    Are you sure?? ;D

  2. #22
    canadian_vikes_fan's Avatar
    canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    "faninphx" wrote:
    And Canadian_vikes _fan, I must disagree with you.
    You seem to overlook the fact that Canada has far greater violent crimes (rape, burglary, breaking and entering, etc) than the US.
    The crime rate in America hit an 18-year low in 2006 while the crime rate in Canada is quite high.
    Think about it, if you were to rob a house would you rob the house of an armed man or an unarmed man?
    Say what? Canada doesn't have "far greater violent crimes" than the States. We have far lower violent crime rates. In recent years they've been getting closer together, but the States is still far ahead of us there. If you don't believe me check the data (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance.htm#Crime, http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060720/d060720b.htm)

    The only type of violent offence where Canada has a higher rate is rape - and this is because the Canadian legal code includes much broader topics of sexual assault in its definition.

    As for your question about which house I'd rob, you're again missing the point. Robbers don't know beforehand whether the house/person they rob has a gun. Now, if you're in the States and you know that there's a pretty good chance they could have a gun, chances are that the robber will arm themselves to defend themselves from their victims.

    This may sound like I'm defending robbers, but I'm not. Like we all agree, there will always be people that break the law - and there will always be robbers. If you live in a culture that encourages gun use, this 'gun culture' creates many unnecessary deaths. This is the reason why the States has about 2.5 times the crime that Canada has, but 14 times as much gun violence.

    Thanks PPE for the sig.

  3. #23
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    unwinnable debate.
    Let's tone down some rhetoric, and only use stats you can prove.
    If you can't link the data, you might as well be pissing in your face.

    Keep it civil, please.

  4. #24
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    I think that that 78% of the gun deaths are attributed to 99% of the idiots and 23.4% of the opponents to owning guns piss themselves when they sleep.
    There is also a 100% chance that some moron will warp these statistics I pulled out of my ass and use them as fact.
    Why am I all wet? WTF?
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    Research my friends brings enlightenment and knowledge.

    If you get a chance take a look at a few books written by Mr. Lott.
    Very interesting stuff with a new perspective.
    ;D

    http://polyticks.com/polyticks/beara...s/moreguns.htm

    http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/lemieux1.html

    http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/admin/...05ffmauser.pdf

    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center

    http://www.aei.org/publications/pubI...pub_detail.asp
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    Homer Simpson wrote:
    Come on Ned.
    You can use statistics to prove anything. 74% of the population knows that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #27
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,738

    Re: Utah only state to allow guns at college

    "vikingTurf" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "MensaTice" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:


    Oh, and by the way, we have free speech here.
    I'm not a mod but I'm sure they'd disagree with this comment.
    I fully expect this thing to be locked shortly.
    Actually, I was refering to the United States.

    But we have a pretty long leash here as well.
    Are you sure?? ;D
    Yep.

    (Quote from Webby)
    unwinnable debate.
    Let's tone down some rhetoric, and only use stats you can prove.
    If you can't link the data, you might as well be pissing in your face.

    Keep it civil, please.
    As long as we keep it civil -and don't shoot anybody!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM
  2. Smoking Declared ILLEGAL in the State of Utah
    By cajunvike in forum Post Wasteland
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 03:38 PM
  3. Best College Football team of each state
    By hawaiianvike21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •