VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Texting while driving - new PSA

Here's a new Public Service Announcement from Britain that is causing a stir. It's graphic...but what do you think? Will it be successful in getting people to understand the dangers of distractions while driving?

[youtube=425,350]DGE8LzRaySk[/youtube]
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Texting while driving - new PSA

They did a good job getting their message across with the commercial but I think most people can't drop that "it won't happen to me" attitudes.

One of my best friends died in a car accident last July and was believed to be texting while it happened. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in my life and I quit driving while texting for a while but went back to my old ways not too long later.

People still smoke despite the dangers, still drive after a few beers, still speed through traffic when they're running late, and stuff like that. 99% of people are stuck in their ways.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Tad7" wrote:
    They did a good job getting their message across with the commercial but I think most people can't drop that "it won't happen to me" attitudes.

One of my best friends died in a car accident last July and was believed to be texting while it happened. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in my life and I quit driving while texting for a while but went back to my old ways not too long later.

People still smoke despite the dangers, still drive after a few beers, still speed through traffic when they're running late, and stuff like that. 99% of people are stuck in their ways.
    Good post Tad. Sorry about your friend.

Says a lot about human nature in general.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Ranger is offline Coach

I bitch at my wife when she texts in the house.
    I'm a pretty strong non-texter...I fucking hate that shit.
    Why not pick up the motherfucking five hundred dollar fucking phone you purchased, and actually MAKE A CALL?
    If you're going to text for three goddamn hours, you might as well call and knock out the conversation in a fraction of the time.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Ranger" wrote:
    I bitch at my wife when she texts in the house.
    I'm a pretty strong non-texter...I fucking hate that shit.
    Why not pick up the motherfucking five hundred dollar fucking phone you purchased, and actually MAKE A CALL?
    If you're going to text for three goddamn hours, you might as well call and knock out the conversation in a fraction of the time.
    +1

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

One of my friends posted this on her facebook. I watched it and thought it was very well done.

It uses scare tactics very well. Hopefully a lot of people see this and figure out that it can and will happen to them if they keep it up.
    We're bringing purple back.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Tad7" wrote:

Sorry to hear about your friend.

There have been confirmed instances of engineers texting while operating their train, and some accidents have killed people.

My daughters drive me crazy with their blackberries...they swear they don't text while driving, but I'm suspicious. Unfortunately, it doesn't hit home until it affects one directly. I hope people get the message that any distractions while driving are bad.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It is a good PSA, although its success is yet to be determined.
    Scare tactic videos - even if they do accurately represent consequences - have been largely ineffective against people in their late teens through mid to late twenties.
    Too much of the superman ego (I am invulnerable).

My problem with people who text while driving is that they can take the life of an innocent person in another car.

Tad, I am sorry to hear about your friend. I am surprised that you still text while driving despite having first hand knowledge of what can happen.
    Usually a real experience like that will affect people more than PSAs.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I just ignore people if they text me while I'm driving. Fuck 'em, they can wait.

If I get a call I just put it on speaker and leave the phone in my lap.

If I'm in the car with a friend and I get a text I'll tell them to check who it's from, if it's someone I'm comfortable with, I'll let them read it and write my response for me.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    I just ignore people if they text me while I'm driving. floop 'em, they can wait.

If I get a call I just put it on speaker and leave the phone in my lap.

If I'm in the car with a friend and I get a text I'll tell them to check who it's from, if it's someone I'm comfortable with, I'll let them read it and write my response for me.
    My GPS has bluetooth and my phone has a txt to voice feautre.
    If anyone calls or txts me while I am driving, I am still 100% hands free.
    I can't replay by txt, but I can do everything else.

My nephew turns 16 in Feb.
    I am considering getting a GPS with similar functionality for him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=