Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Pumpkin Launching

    This is fairly entertaining:

    http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/10/15/pumpkin.chucking.ap/index.html

    (AP) -- What can you do with pumpkins? The list is not all that long. You can make pumpkin pies and breads, carve jack-o'-lanterns or use them to decorate your front porch.
    Or you can send them hurling into the autumn sky at 400 mph with a 30,000-pound cannon.

    It's pumpkin-chucking season!

    The World Championship Punkin Chunkin contest -- http://www.punkinchunkin.com/main.htm -- takes place November 2-4 in Bridgeville, Delaware, about 30 miles from Lewes and 90 miles from Washington. The event began in 1986 and bills itself as the oldest and largest competition of its type. Last year over 50,000 spectators turned out to watch 100 teams compete, organizers said.

    Launching machines at the Delaware event will include air compressors, catapults, centrifugal machines that spin the pumpkins before hurling them, and trebuchets. (The trebuchet design dates to the Middle Ages, using a counterweight to power its missile.) There is also a "theatrical" category in which the rules state that "distance is not the goal; ability to ham it up is the goal."

    "People start out thinking they have to see some idiot who's built a machine to throw a pumpkin a mile," said Frank Shade, president of the World Championship Punkin Chunkin Association. "Then, after spending a weekend grilling and cooking out with 70,000 of their newest best friends, they find out this is really a good time."

    The contest's record for distance was set in 2003, when a pumpkin went 4,434 feet.


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  2. #2
    tgorsegner's Avatar
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    786

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    hahahaha oh my god!!! im like 10 miles from Morton Illinois!!!!
    I am definately going to go now. this totally made my day, i didnt know they had one there!!! thank you!!!


    VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

  3. #3
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    hahahaha oh my god!!! im like 10 miles from Morton Illinois!!!!
    I am definately going to go now. this totally made my day, i didnt know they had one there!!! thank you!!!
    Get a video camera!


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    I was at Papa's Pumpkin Patch in Bismarck, ND this past weekend, and they launch a pumpkin every 15 minutes during the day (not sure what time they started, but they finished at 5:00 pm).
    Pretty cool to see those things catapulted. ;D
    They didn't go no where near the 4400+ foot record, but they easily go 1000.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,570

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I was at Papa's Pumpkin Patch in Bismarck, ND this past weekend, and they launch a pumpkin every 15 minutes during the day (not sure what time they started, but they finished at 5:00 pm).
    Pretty cool to see those things catapulted. ;D
    They didn't go no where near the 4400+ foot record, but they easily go 1000.
    I wish they would drop a few off the capital building
    ;D

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I was at Papa's Pumpkin Patch in Bismarck, ND this past weekend, and they launch a pumpkin every 15 minutes during the day (not sure what time they started, but they finished at 5:00 pm).
    Pretty cool to see those things catapulted. ;D
    They didn't go no where near the 4400+ foot record, but they easily go 1000.
    I wish they would drop a few off the capital building
    ;D
    A few pumpkins, or a few politicians? 'D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    900 MPH pumpkin

    [youtube=425,350]RryMwlrA4G8&mode=related&search=pumpkin%20chuckin% 20launcher%20catapult[/youtube]

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #8
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    Flaming Pumpkin Launch

    [youtube=425,350]yuOO1mGNJT0&mode=related&search=pumpkin%20chuckin% 20launcher%20catapult[/youtube]

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  9. #9
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    Punkin Chunkin Part 1

    [youtube=425,350]iG2c9e7UAXY[/youtube]

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #10
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Pumpkin Launching

    Punkin Chunkin Part 2

    [youtube=425,350]oG7nNedoQNI&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UFL expansion team launching in Virginia
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM
  2. Goodell Interested In Launching New Developmental League
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 08:52 AM
  3. Carve your own pumpkin
    By VikingMike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 07:45 PM
  4. NASA launching Beatles tune into space
    By COJOMAY in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 04:36 PM
  5. Beer Launching Fridge
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 05:45 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •