Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Objective Opinion Needed - Put down the Beer!

Conclusion in final defense:

As a student at the satellite community, we are taught to have to be dependent on the department we belong to on the main campus. We are expected to be at these satellite communities to help with the education of undergrad students, without us and the professors that are stationed out of this satellite campus there would be no education in certain fields (ie biology).

The system which has become common place and has been something that the university supports in part by the stucture that they have put in place by making us be part of these satellite campuses, really let me down. If we were to have to drive up to main campus for everything that goes wrong, then we wouldn't be able to get the everyday work done. This isn't just a case of a Grad Student being a full time Grad Student.

Further, it is unjust that the fact that this reopening appears to have been only a ceremonious reopening at best. A reopening that probably was opened with the thinking of on campus personel that heck, "we give the students the whole weekend to get their stuff together and they can turn it in on Mon by 4." The only way for a student on a satellite campus to get the proposal for the scholarship in was to sent it with only 1.5 days to get it completed. This totally biases the students on main campus that can in effect take a more responsible role, where the students on the satellite campuses have learned that assistance is a common need of their surroundings.

If you think that well, "we didn't accept the other apps that were late in the past," and used this as your precedent, then this seriously needs to reconsidered in this case. If a precedent was used in this case, then they should seriously think about going forward and setting a new one. There needs to be a preceedent that takes into account the needs of the entire community to play on a level playing field, that doesn't involve gas money(minor), taking time off of work(taking a way from the community you support) or depending on someone else to perform part of the process (off campus department head signature).

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Freya" wrote:
    Frankly I would wonder about the administrative abilities of this institution and whether that type of incompetence is prevelant thoughout.
    My daughter was in a similar situation when she was applying for a Masters program. In the end we found out that the whole University was fraught with this type of dysfunction and she dropped it from her list.
    I have a huge pet peeve with this kind of thing happening in an educational facility.
    I'm sorry for your friend.
    They are Aggies (just one small step ABOVE Packer fans) so incompetence is a given!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Conclusion in final defense:

As a student at the satellite community, we are taught to have to be dependent on the department we belong to on the main campus. We are expected to be at these satellite communities to help with the education of undergrad students, without us and the professors that are stationed out of this satellite campus there would be no education in certain fields (ie biology).

The system which has become common place and has been something that the university supports in part by the stucture that they have put in place by making us be part of these satellite campuses, really let me down. If we were to have to drive up to main campus for everything that goes wrong, then we wouldn't be able to get the everyday work done. This isn't just a case of a Grad Student being a full time Grad Student.

Further, it is unjust that the fact that this reopening appears to have been only a ceremonious reopening at best. A reopening that probably was opened with the thinking of on campus personel that heck, "we give the students the whole weekend to get their stuff together and they can turn it in on Mon by 4." The only way for a student on a satellite campus to get the proposal for the scholarship in was to sent it with only 1.5 days to get it completed. This totally biases the students on main campus that can in effect take a more responsible role, where the students on the satellite campuses have learned that assistance is a common need of their surroundings.

If you think that well, "we didn't accept the other apps that were late in the past," and used this as your precedent, then this seriously needs to reconsidered in this case. If a precedent was used in this case, then they should seriously think about going forward and setting a new one. There needs to be a preceedent that takes into account the needs of the entire community to play on a level playing field, that doesn't involve gas money(minor), taking time off of work(taking a way from the community you support) or depending on someone else to perform part of the process (off campus department head signature).
    I say your friend should drive up there and pimpslap the admins...or at least present some suggestions on how future situations could be conducted to make it fairer for the grad students that are at satellite campuses!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:

I say your friend should drive up there and pimpslap the admins...or at least present some suggestions on how future situations could be conducted to make it fairer for the grad students that are at satellite campuses!
    Done, already in the works.

A committee member is going up today and will do the bitch slap thing.

He is already working on getting them to figure out what empathy is, and bygawd, he is not going to give up until things are changed on these reopen policies. The students have been kicked in the crotch too many times to let this chance get away.

One step above Packer Fans?? You are too kind.

There might be a little bit of inbreeding there too. They love to hire their own kind. Plus their own kind is about all that can stand to be there. So, there tends to be a lot of like minded individuals. I think that is partially what is involved in the lack of empathy department I was referring to.

That is the one good thing as a grad student at the Satellite Campuses, you can get away from the Propaganda on the Main Campus. But they do make PhD candidates spend 2 whole semesters on the main campus???? To try and brainwash them into the Way and the Life of Maroon and White.

I have met many very nice Aggies (people), but they are truly off when it comes to their colors and school. :grin:

ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Cajun, there is a continued bias and unfair parameters for the students that are at these satellite institutions.

If anything comes from this, I think that a reopen period should have a minimum amount of days for scholarships that are reopenned, so that it can be a more even playing field.

A consulation of "oh we can keep this scholarship app until the next cycle" is not good enough. It has robbed this person of the (first chance) opportunity to make an impression on one of the committee members. Instead of a second chance, the next time around, it will be the first time. By then it may be too late!

All that was wanted in the first place was a fair chance to compete for the scholarship.
    With all due respect, if this is the case, then why didn't he/she apply the first time around then? Before the deadline was extended? I certainly feel for this person, but I also detect an attitude of entitleism.

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Cajun, there is a continued bias and unfair parameters for the students that are at these satellite institutions.

If anything comes from this, I think that a reopen period should have a minimum amount of days for scholarships that are reopenned, so that it can be a more even playing field.

A consulation of "oh we can keep this scholarship app until the next cycle" is not good enough. It has robbed this person of the (first chance) opportunity to make an impression on one of the committee members. Instead of a second chance, the next time around, it will be the first time. By then it may be too late!

All that was wanted in the first place was a fair chance to compete for the scholarship.
    With all due respect, if this is the case, then why didn't he/she apply the first time around then? Before the deadline was extended? I certainly feel for this person, but I also detect an attitude of entitleism.
    The reason is back in a prior post.

Even without knowing that reason, why have someone bust there butt to get it done and then have an employee screw up and get it turned in 24 hours after the deadline.

IMHO, it is unfair for anyone to assume that any applicant that turns in an app in the reopening period would have known about it the first time around. That is irrelevant.

If you knew he/she in this case, the attitude you are discribing is totally off base and doesn't apply to he/she.

I personally feel like he/she was entitled to compete for it. The person that dropped the ball hand delivered it and then told him/her (the person entitled) that the head dude was going to consider it.

Then come to find out that it was NEVER considered, it is still sitting on a desk and never moved from that desk. Whoever the person who was making this comment should have never opened their mouth. Either they don't know as much as they think they do or they know to much for their mouth.

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Really, what is the harm in accepting it and saying, "one of our employees made a mistake, we will let this slide due to an inter campus employee dropping the ball and that maybe we didn't allow enough time." Oh crap we just admitted we could have done something better instead of putting all the blame back on a flawed process.

Judge it for it's merit. If it wasn't good enough all they would have had to say is, "sorry you didn't make it this time around. Apply again next time." That probably would have been satisfactory.

Back to entitleism, maybe entitled to one of the people making the decision not to consider it, to answer one of the contacts attempted, for an explaination.

I can see where people are arguing that it wasn't fair to the other student applicants because they had theirs in on time and to consider a late applicant would not be fair if they knock one of these punctual students out of the running.

In defense of the late applicant, he/she was under the assumption that his/hers was going to be there on time.

There are plenty of places where you can say "well, if he/she would have done this or that differently then this or that would have happened."

It is open to interpretation!!

I haven't said once that I think he/she is entitled to the scholarship. At this point the letters have already been sent out to the people that have been picked. It is highly unlikely that anything would come of this at this point.

ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler

Look man... I feel bad for the person that this happened to. I really do. However, I can see this becoming political very easily. I wish your friend the best of luck with future grant applications, and would encourage him/her to proactivily petition the powers that be to review the practices of applying for such grants as not to show favortism to only "local" parts of the student body...

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    Look man... I feel bad for the person that this happened to. I really do. However, I can see this becoming political very easily. I wish your friend the best of luck with future grant applications, and would encourage him/her to proactivily petition the powers that be to review the practices of applying for such grants as not to show favortism to only "local" parts of the student body...
    Yes, the question is how far to push this.

Will there be retalliation?

It is a big question mark.

BTW, I respect your opinions the same as I do all that responded.

Thanks for the posts, my friend decided to bend over and take it up the rear.

It really sucks but there was nothing to be done, it did get political.

Coals were put in the fire and maybe the chances will be greater the next time around.

Glad I am not a politician, I can only imagine it is similar.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234