Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Objective Opinion Needed - Put down the Beer!

Thanks Guys for conversing on this topic with me. Much appreciated!

Feel free to still comment.

The reason why I put it in this forum, was when I looked through the PPOers posting in TWO BEER Min, I knew it was a select group of the best PPOers around, and that some first time poster wasn't going to chime in.

It is nice to have a second tier like this!!!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Now you know why I HATE UT-Austin so much...they get the lion's share of ALL the resources in Texas. For them to have just ONE National title to show for it in football is pathetic (but makes me happy) compared to all the resources that they have at their disposal.
    Broaden that comment to TX, because this is the institution just south of Bryan Community College or BLYNN Community College, if you catch my drift.

Riddle.......
    Every bank has them now?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    Now you know why I HATE UT-Austin so much...they get the lion's share of ALL the resources in Texas. For them to have just ONE National title to show for it in football is pathetic (but makes me happy) compared to all the resources that they have at their disposal.
    Broaden that comment to TX, because this is the institution just south of Bryan Community College or BLYNN Community College, if you catch my drift.

Riddle.......
    Every bank has them now?
    My two youngest sisters both live near Brenham (the home of Blinn Junior College) so I know the school of which you speak. Yes, they (to a much lesser extent) get a ton of resources from the state...but even then, they don't get NEAR what the UT System gets. I don't like their school system either since a vast majority of their grads inhabit the greater Houston metropolitan area and I had to continually deal with their hillbilly ways. It did help that my undergrad school upset them one year when I was in law school there...so I got to rub it in for the rest of the season! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

Riddle.......
    Every bank has them now?
    My two youngest sisters both live near Brenham (the home of Blinn Junior College) so I know the school of which you speak. Yes, they (to a much lesser extent) get a ton of resources from the state...but even then, they don't get NEAR what the UT System gets. I don't like their school system either since a vast majority of their grads inhabit the greater Houston metropolitan area and I had to continually deal with their hillbilly ways. It did help that my undergrad school upset them one year when I was in law school there...so I got to rub it in for the rest of the season! :lol:
    Yes, that is the school name I was looking for. I could have sworn it was in Bryan. I knew a number of people that went to Blinn-Bryan Campus, but I just never knew where it was located. I just assumed that it was in Bryan only, but yes indeed it is based out of Brenham, I just had to google it.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I think that the fact that he didn't apply for the scholarship when it first opened is the main strike against him. The re-opening of the application period is like an after thought in order to meet the scholarship requirements as to number applying is my guess. I guess I wonder why he didn't apply during the original app process if he was really interested. Sounds like he just sort of heard of the opportunity and thought why not as opposed to something he was really pursuing. In those kinds of situations I suspect that the last min application doesn't carry as much weight and in order to win has to be a really spectacular proposal to outweigh the others that were put in during the original time frame.

WWBGD

"RK." wrote:
    I think that the fact that he didn't apply for the scholarship when it first opened is the main strike against him. The re-opening of the application period is like an after thought in order to meet the scholarship requirements as to number applying is my guess. I guess I wonder why he didn't apply during the original app process if he was really interested. Sounds like he just sort of heard of the opportunity and thought why not as opposed to something he was really pursuing. In those kinds of situations I suspect that the last min application doesn't carry as much weight and in order to win has to be a really spectacular proposal to outweigh the others that were put in during the original time frame.
    Missed it all together the first time around. That should be besides the point.

I don't think the committee can judge/weigh it like that. Someone collects them. Once they are all in, then they distribute them to the committee. That is my understanding.

If they are going to reopen it, then don't just ceremoniously reopen it for the sake of it. That is a BS way of fudging rules. That means they had the intent of not accepting anymore.

Thank you RK for the reply, I wanted something I could chew on a bit.

But you can't hold it against the person for not applying the first time around. If it was reopened, then it was (should've been) fair game.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I agree in a fair world it shouldn't make a difference Snow, but we are talking academia here. :razz: It just occurred to me that if this had been something he was really pursuing in the first place why didn't he apply the first time. Also I am assuming that the first applicants probably spent more that an all nighter putting together their proposals. I think that in order to be fair to the people that did get their apps in on time the first time you can't just re-open it with no restrictions. That wouldn't be fair to the people that dotted the i's and crossed the t's the first round. How would you feel if you busted your ass to get all the stuff in the first time and then they just opened it up again for more applicants giving them lots of time and accepting anything that came in late. I think I would feel ripped that I busted my ass for nothing and I bet you would too.

WWBGD

"RK." wrote:
    I agree in a fair world it shouldn't make a difference Snow, but we are talking academia here. :razz: It just occurred to me that if this had been something he was really pursuing in the first place why didn't he apply the first time. Also I am assuming that the first applicants probably spent more that an all nighter putting together their proposals. I think that in order to be fair to the people that did get their apps in on time the first time you can't just re-open it with no restrictions. That wouldn't be fair to the people that dotted the i's and crossed the t's the first round. How would you feel if you busted your jiggly butt to get all the stuff in the first time and then they just opened it up again for more applicants giving them lots of time and accepting anything that came in late. I think I would feel ripped that I busted my jiggly butt for nothing and I bet you would too.
    Ha Ha, LOL with the Razz. Yes, in acedamia, you have to fear everyone, cause they all have to publish, and they are all competing(same fields) for the same money, and they are all afrais to bite the hand that feeds them. ops:

The first time the email notification came out, he was in Senegal(africa), without email, doing research, trying to further his career. Definitely not going to meet any deadlines in that country let alone know about it.

Second, proposals don't change that much. If you have sent of one proposal usually, the cahnge is the hoops you have to jump through, not the proposal.

It was "difficult" to jump through the hoops in the time aloud. It was difficult to take full responsibility of the whole process.

It still comes down to the fact that it was reopened for more applicants by the University. The people that had already applied had no control over that.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Frankly I would wonder about the administrative abilities of this institution and whether that type of incompetence is prevelant thoughout.
    My daughter was in a similar situation when she was applying for a Masters program. In the end we found out that the whole University was fraught with this type of dysfunction and she dropped it from her list.
    I have a huge pet peeve with this kind of thing happening in an educational facility.
    I'm sorry for your friend.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

"Freya" wrote:
    Frankly I would wonder about the administrative abilities of this institution and whether that type of incompetence is prevelant thoughout.
    My daughter was in a similar situation when she was applying for a Masters program. In the end we found out that the whole University was fraught with this type of dysfunction and she dropped it from her list.
    I have a huge pet peeve with this kind of thing happening in an educational facility.
    I'm sorry for your friend.
    Really it isn't the incompetence part, it is the system.

But everyone has resigned to the fact that, "that is just how it is here."

That in itself might be a huge incompetence right there, but it has been one taken by the institution and the students.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast