Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Objective Opinion Needed - Put down the Beer!

Cajun, there is a continued bias and unfair parameters for the students that are at these satellite institutions.

If anything comes from this, I think that a reopen period should have a minimum amount of days for scholarships that are reopenned, so that it can be a more even playing field.

A consulation of "oh we can keep this scholarship app until the next cycle" is not good enough. It has robbed this person of the (first chance) opportunity to make an impression on one of the committee members. Instead of a second chance, the next time around, it will be the first time. By then it may be too late!

All that was wanted in the first place was a fair chance to compete for the scholarship.

Prophet Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    ...In a perfect world:

The way I see it, is that he/she had submitted it when it was postmarked on Friday afternoon. He or she couldn't make any changes to the document after that hand off.
    The deadline is important. I've been on the proposal review side of things at the national level. It's very difficult to get a group of 'experts' together for a week to review a pile of proposals. The last time I had to do that I was primary reviewer for three proposals, secondary for three proposals and the reader for three additional proposals. I had 25 proposals that I had to read. The last thing that the organizer of the review process cared about was a late proposal, regardless of the reason.

I guess the best bet is just to know the limitations of your institution and do whatever it takes to get the proposal in on time. If there's isn't enough time before the deadline to logisticly pull it off then don't waste your time. Reviewers tend to be an unsympathetic bunch because they already have a high workload during the review process and the last thing they want is another proposal to have to read, especially if it's late.

I do know of one situation where a friend of mine was a reviewer and for some extenuating circumstances a proposal was accepted a day late. The reviewers really went into the details in this proposal because they were forced to add it to the stack. This isn't a situation you want to be in, especially if you are early in your career and going against the big hitters.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Would you call in sick from teaching the Institutions lab session?
    Grad Student is based out of the satellite community, but they are part of the department that is on the main campus. Because of "this flawed system," it has become necessary to rely on the department for things like this. The department had to sign it before it could be turned in to the scholarship department.

The system has formed a dependency.

I totally understand the taking responsibility thing. That is how I/he/she would have preferred it.

In a perfect world:

The way I see it, is that he/she had submitted it when it was postmarked on Friday afternoon. He or she couldn't make any changes to the document after that hand off.
    What would he have done if he was REALLY sick? Could the teaching thing have gone on without him then? I know it would be a self-centered move to ditch the class, but he has now suffered greatly from not being able to take care of his own business. He ends up the only loser here. Sometimes in life, you gotta look out for #1.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    What would he have done if he was REALLY sick? Could the teaching thing have gone on without him then? I know it would be a self-centered move to ditch the class, but he has now suffered greatly from not being able to take care of his own business. He ends up the only loser here. Sometimes in life, you gotta look out for #1.
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I do know of one situation where a friend of mine was a reviewer and for some extenuating circumstances a proposal was accepted a day late. The reviewers really went into the details in this proposal because they were forced to add it to the stack. This isn't a situation you want to be in, especially if you are early in your career and going against the big hitters.
    So where is the thin line between looking out for number one and getting on the black list seperate themselves.

Over 5 applications TOTAL, possibly a 6th, in an educational institution, it feels like an injustice has been done.

I guess the thin line was on Monday, not now.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Cajun, there is a continued bias and unfair parameters for the students that are at these satellite institutions.

If anything comes from this, I think that a reopen period should have a minimum amount of days for scholarships that are reopenned, so that it can be a more even playing field.

A consulation of "oh we can keep this scholarship app until the next cycle" is not good enough. It has robbed this person of the (first chance) opportunity to make an impression on one of the committee members. Instead of a second chance, the next time around, it will be the first time. By then it may be too late!

All that was wanted in the first place was a fair chance to compete for the scholarship.
    I agree with you...I am on your friend's side in this...but if he knows that there is an unfair bias going into it, he needs to do whatever he can to level the playing field...like I said earlier, I was "Wait Listed" at the law school that I wanted to attend...I just kept after them until I got in, appearing in person to talk to whomever would listen to me...I was not content to just wait...I pushed the issue until they just gave in and gave me a spot. As I found out later, if I would have had to wait until the next year, I would have been screwed...the next year, the law school overaccepted students so much so that they had to create an extra session, thereby ensuring that NO ONE on that year's wait list would get in. So I again can sympathize with your friend on this. Sometimes you gotta go above and beyond what most people would do to get what you want...force them to consider you whether they want to or not...and believe me, I do understand the way that academia works.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    So where is the thin line between looking out for number one and getting on the black list seperate themselves.

Over 5 applications TOTAL, possibly a 6th, in an educational institution, it feels like an injustice has been done.

Only your friend can determine that with some degree of accuracy...and I do agree that an injustice has been done. BUT those with the power to right this wrong seem to be unwilling to do what is necessary to repair this inequity. And THAT my friends is why we have LAWYERS...to fight for the little guy against the oppressive heavyweights!!! :grin:

Normally when applying for money, you don't get to fly to Washington DC to try and convince and hand deliver your proposal.

Maybe next time, it will dawn on my friend to accompany his document.

Lesson learned!

Like I said though, it has been customary to become dependent on the Department for help in these situations. Plus, my friend doesn't have time to accompany every proposal sent out for money.

Doing what you absolutely had to to get into Law School (was cool I have to admit) was a necessary thing, because your eggs were pretty much in one basket. This was the school you wanted.

It is hard to attach yourself to these money proposals, you get so.... so many rejections.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Only your friend can determine that with some degree of accuracy...and I do agree that an injustice has been done. BUT those with the power to right this wrong seem to be unwilling to do what is necessary to repair this inequity. And THAT my friends is why we have LAWYERS...to fight for the little guy against the oppressive heavyweights!!! :grin:
    Now that is what I wanted to hear :lol: Probably for the first time in my life.

Seriously, there is a bigger wrong here than just this scholarship and everyone has little things happen to them on random points, never enough to rally anyone together.

Hey everyone, I didn't get this scholarship, rally behind me.

"Why should we rally behind you, you selfish bass-turd, and plus, I am jealous of you cause you might compete against me someday for something I might want, so I want you to fail."

There are also limitations on the satellite student to apply for or be recognized by the main campus.

Main campus gets certain allocations for Grad students and PhD students that the satelitte communties never see.

Multiple multiple issues.

One thing here that is missing, is the other side of the story.

But in my friend's defense, the TOP DOG told my friend's committee members that call on my friend's behalf that he would consider putting it in the good to go and be reviewed pile.

NOT ONE explaination was given back to my friend as to what the outcome was, or how it was reviewed. They just put my friend off. Certain emails have just gone unanswered and calls to the Top Dog were never returned to my friend.

The ADMIN Assist (his name was attached to this whole project from the start) was the only one that has ever commented to my friend, and that was the same answer on the Tues Morning after the deadline, up until now, that it has never been considered, basically it is still sitting there waiting for the next time around.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

Now that is what I wanted to hear :lol: Probably for the first time in my life.

Seriously, there is a bigger wrong here than just this scholarship and everyone has little things happen to them on random points, never enough to rally anyone together.

Hey everyone, I didn't get this scholarship, rally behind me.

"Why should we rally behind you, you selfish bass-turd, and plus, I am jealous of you cause you might compete against me someday for something I might want, so I want you to fail."

There are also limitations on the satellite student to apply for or be recognized by the main campus.

Main campus gets certain allocations for Grad students and PhD students that the satelitte communties never see.

Multiple multiple issues.
    Now you know why I HATE UT-Austin so much...they get the lion's share of ALL the resources in Texas. For them to have just ONE National title to show for it in football is pathetic (but makes me happy) compared to all the resources that they have at their disposal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast