Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Objective Opinion Needed - Put down the Beer!

Situation: Applying for a Scholarship/Fellowship ($20,000-$25,000) with Medical benefits and monthly stipend. PhD Candidates only.

Where: trying to keep it anonymous but the campus situation is a main campus with satellite campuses located around the state. Keep in mind that all Graduate students are not part of the satellite campuses, but part of the main campus, but are stationed at the satellite campuses.

OK, here it goes.........

Thurs March 30th - Rcvd Email of eligibility for a scholarship, deadline had passed, didn't have a big enough pool of applicants, so it was reopened. Deadline is 4pm on Monday the 3rd of April.

Was at work, emailed back and forth to see if I qualified for it. Found out I was. After work, I started to do all the work. Spent all night getting the proposal rewritten. Friday morning, called and got 3 references from different important people. Had to pick up the reference letters. Had to make 8 copies of the research proposal and got all of the info in a Fed Ex envelope to be delivered.

NOW the only way I can meet this deadline is to Fed Ex it to the main campus. It will do no good to drive 3.5 hours one way over the weekend, nobody will be there. Besides all of the items in the Fed Ex package, one more item is needed, a signature from the department head to accompany the information. SO, the package can't be sent to the Scholarship Building, it has to be sent to the Department for a signature first. Nobody on the satellite campus can sign for it, it can only be signed on main campus. SO, I call up there and talk to a person that says that she will personally take care of this for me, get it signed and walk it over to the other building to meet the deadline.

4:00 pm Friday the 31st, Fed Ex accepts the package for overnight.

9:00 am Sat morning, they attempt delivery, but nobody on campus.

9:30 am Mon morning, they deliver the package to the Department that is suppose to take care of the signature.

I am at work, I attempt to contact my contact in my Department to make sure that the package was indeed rcvd and Fed Ex didn't screw up???? Calls to my contact are going directly to voice mail, and emails are being returned. I continue working. Make a few more attempts to contact the person again, do not get through to her or receive any emails back.

I have no idea what happened at this time, all night wondering.

Tuesday, I call and this time, I don't get through again, so I get rerouted to the secretary. The secretary says the package is still sitting in the department. I freak out a bit. She says that she will take it over there this morning yet. Find out it wasn't taken over to the scholarship building until 4pm on Tuesday afternoon.

The Scholarship Proposal missed it's deadline by 24 hours. Do you accept it if you are in charge of the scholarship office?

KEEP IN MIND that the contact person that dropped the ball (package) and the scholarship guy are both employees of the University.

Re: Objective Opinion Needed - Put down the Beer!

BTW, this wasn't me that this happened to, I tried to write it in the first person like it had happened to me.

Prophet Guest

In my experiences, if you miss a deadline you lose out. Doesn't matter what the reason is. I hope yours or your friends is an exception.

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

In a perfect world the application would be accepted, and apologies would be paid to the person who had been wronged.

However, this seems to be just another situation wherein officials of an institution failed to think out all the holes pertaining to it. Who suffers? A student. Do they care? No. Why? Because said student is highly unlikely to change institutions, and will continue to pay for services. Supply and demand do not play any role in situations such as these, and our country's legeslative body should do something to protect students from being mistreated like this. But then again, no one ever contacts their representives anymore to voice opinions on matters or to suggest new business.

Prophet,

What if I said that the reason they wanted to REOPEN it was to get a larger pool of applicants and they only rcvd 1 more application.

Is it far that I only had 1.5 days to prepare it and sent it off. Plus I had to rely upon others employed in the institution to help get the INFO in on time. The other applicant had 4 days to do any revisions to old APPs and to all of the leg work right on campus.

Please don't just respond with life isn't fair, already know that to be true.

I am looking for a debate here.

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:
    In a perfect world the application would be accepted, and apologies would be paid to the person who had been wronged.

However, this seems to be just another situation wherein officials of an institution failed to think out all the holes pertaining to it. Who suffers? A student. Do they care? No. Why? Because said student is highly unlikely to change institutions, and will continue to pay for services. Supply and demand do not play any role in situations such as these, and our country's legeslative body should do something to protect students from being mistreated like this. But then again, no one ever contacts their representives anymore to voice opinions on matters or to suggest new business.
    Thank You bigdaddy71_1, that was what I was looking for.

The graduate students especially play a huge part in the education process, and they get stepped on. There should be a graduate student union. I think that they keep them seperated as much as possible to keep them from uprising. THey are all too busy to unite anyway.

Prophet Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Prophet,

What if I said that the reason they wanted to REOPEN it was to get a larger pool of applicants and they only rcvd 1 more application.

Is it far that I only had 1.5 days to prepare it and sent it off. Plus I had to rely upon others employed in the institution to help get the INFO in on time. The other applicant had 4 days to do any revisions to old APPs and to all of the leg work right on campus.

Please don't just respond with life isn't fair, already know that to be true.

I am looking for a debate here.
    I have to deal with this sort of thing all the time, since a big part of my job is to write grants. The philosophy I have run into in many different institutions is that a deadline is a deadline. I got screwed over in a multi-institutional proposal last year when I had the proposal put together a month before the deadline but needed the administrator's signatures from five different institutions across the nation....one of them screwed up and didn't get it done on time. The national program director had no sympathy.

I'm not sure about the details of your scenario, but if there is an RFP that only has a few day turnaround there is a reason for that. They really don't want any new proposals and you can read between the lines as to why they would do that as well as I can.

p.s. Life's not fair. :lol:

"Prophet" wrote:
    I'm not sure about the details of your scenario, but if there is an RFP that only has a few day turnaround there is a reason for that. They really don't want any new proposals and you can read between the lines as to why they would do that as well as I can.

p.s. Life's not fair. :lol:
    That was my first thought on this too.

It was an unrealistic deadline for any student at a satellite Uni and a realistic one for those on the main campus. It was more unfair than unrealistic.

There was a way for me to take a bit more responsibility in this, but in the pressure of getting it sent off, I didn't process the other options after I got confirmation from someone that would help me in the situation. If I was on campus, I would have taken full responsibility for it and handed it to the Scholarship guy myself. Well before the deadline.

What really gets me in all of this is the attitude of the people making the decisions. There is no empathy for the difference in the situation of being on campus or off campus.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Situation: Applying for a Scholarship/Fellowship ($20,000-$25,000) with Medical benefits and monthly stipend. PhD Candidates only.

Where: trying to keep it anonymous but the campus situation is a main campus with satellite campuses located around the state. Keep in mind that all Graduate students are not part of the satellite campuses, but part of the main campus, but are stationed at the satellite campuses.

OK, here it goes.........

Thurs March 30th - Rcvd Email of eligibility for a scholarship, deadline had passed, didn't have a big enough pool of applicants, so it was reopened. Deadline is 4pm on Monday the 3rd of April.

Was at work, emailed back and forth to see if I qualified for it. Found out I was. After work, I started to do all the work. Spent all night getting the proposal rewritten. Friday morning, called and got 3 references from different important people. Had to pick up the reference letters. Had to make 8 copies of the research proposal and got all of the info in a Fed Ex envelope to be delivered.

NOW the only way I can meet this deadline is to Fed Ex it to the main campus. It will do no good to drive 3.5 hours one way over the weekend, nobody will be there. Besides all of the items in the Fed Ex package, one more item is needed, a signature from the department head to accompany the information. SO, the package can't be sent to the Scholarship Building, it has to be sent to the Department for a signature first. Nobody on the satellite campus can sign for it, it can only be signed on main campus. SO, I call up there and talk to a person that says that she will personally take care of this for me, get it signed and walk it over to the other building to meet the deadline.
    4:00 pm Friday the 31st, Fed Ex accepts the package for overnight.

9:00 am Sat morning, they attempt delivery, but nobody on campus.

9:30 am Mon morning, they deliver the package to the Department that is suppose to take care of the signature.

I am at work, I attempt to contact my contact in my Department to make sure that the package was indeed rcvd and Fed Ex didn't screw up???? Calls to my contact are going directly to voice mail, and emails are being returned. I continue working. Make a few more attempts to contact the person again, do not get through to her or receive any emails back.

I have no idea what happened at this time, all night wondering.

Tuesday, I call and this time, I don't get through again, so I get rerouted to the secretary. The secretary says the package is still sitting in the department. I freak out a bit. She says that she will take it over there this morning yet. Find out it wasn't taken over to the scholarship building until 4pm on Tuesday afternoon.

The Scholarship Proposal missed it's deadline by 24 hours. Do you accept it if you are in charge of the scholarship office?

KEEP IN MIND that the contact person that dropped the ball (package) and the scholarship guy are both employees of the University.
    What I would have done: NO WAY do I trust these fools to do this for me...I would have taken a SICK DAY off of work and driven the 3.5 hours (Austin? That would explain ALOT) and ushered it through the channels. WHY??? Because I don't trust the system! And it appears that my fears have been realized.

Like Prophet said, it appears that the department had very specific motives for reopening the application process...and your buddy wasn't a part of those motives. Unless raising a stink would jeopardize his chances in the future, your buddy should do just that. Otherwise, he can just stew in his own juices and wait for the next opportunity...and give them absolutely NO REASON to be able to reject him.

Sucks for your buddy though.

Ushering the application through is how I got off the Wait List and into the law school that I wanted to...so I know it works!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Would you call in sick from teaching the Institutions lab session?

Grad Student is based out of the satellite community, but they are part of the department that is on the main campus. Because of "this flawed system," it has become necessary to rely on the department for things like this. The department had to sign it before it could be turned in to the scholarship department.

The system has formed a dependency.

I totally understand the taking responsibility thing. That is how I/he/she would have preferred it.

In a perfect world:

The way I see it, is that he/she had submitted it when it was postmarked on Friday afternoon. He or she couldn't make any changes to the document after that hand off.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast