Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Re: ipods responsible for teen sex

"DoubleDown11" wrote:
    you know you are old skool, when "2 Live Crew", was as raunchy as it could get. any other old skoolers remember they had two versions, As "Clean" as They Wanna Be & As Nasty as They Wanna Be?

Dang where were these girls when I was in high school!?
    Yeah man thats my era when It comes to Hip-Hop, 2 Live Crew, Public Enemy, Geto Boys, Ice T, EPMD, Eric B & Rakim, N.W.A, De La Soul, Das efx, Big Dady Kane, Stetasonic, LL Cool J, Cypress Hill, Naughty by Nature, Brand Nubian plus more I can't remember just now. Can't get enough of it, still listen regularly today. :grin:

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Perfect example of people confusing correlation with causation. Correlation does not imply causation. You could just as easily flip it aronund and say that teens who start having sex sooner are more likely to enjoy music with raunchy, sexual lyrics.

I hate it when people skew statistics just to satisfy their own conclusions.
    Well, statistics are hardly "objective", but that's another matter altogether. Philosopher of Science, Andrew Sayer, agrees with you. He perhaps said it best when he pointed out that how something happens has nothing to with the number of times that it happens.

furthermore, the "headline" suggests that ipods are the cause of this or that they are somehow involved (eww?!). This is just a silly slip in syntax, at least I'm giving the author the benefit of the doubt that this is a mistake, but it underlines how ludicrous the proposition is. This is clearly not a carefully thought out piece of writing.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Since the topic is sex, I decided to move this topic into the "Two Beer Minimum" forum. Why the he!! was it started in the "Trash the Pack" forum anyway, WVV?
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Perfect example of people confusing correlation with causation. Correlation does not imply causation. You could just as easily flip it aronund and say that teens who start having sex sooner are more likely to enjoy music with raunchy, sexual lyrics.

Hear, hear!!!

You could do a study between shoe size and intelligence in a school, and you can pretty well be guaranteed that there will be a correlation, but that doesn't mean that shoe size is responsible for intelligence. It is easy to miss a variable in an experiment. In this one it's easy to see that it's age, but it can be a lot harder.

In this one, it probably has to do with the type of person that listens to raunchy music. They are more likely to be free-spirited people less inclined to abstinance, as opposed to people who listen to non-raunchy music.
    Actually you would probably see no significant correlation between those two variables. Just reading this article, the study is so flawed (or reported that way).

First of all, can you actually trust data from telephone interviews with teens (ie. 90% of it won't be entirely accurate)? Secondly just because 51% of those who listen to this music have sex within 2 years (which a lot of teens do regardless of music taste) vs. 29% otherwise does not imply that this relationship is significant, it could be due to sampling error, spurious variables or any other statistical innacuracy (note they never state that the findings were statistically significant ie. p value <0.05). Also how do you quantify things like "amount of raunchy music"?

Maybe it's just the CNN article, but they sure don't seem to back up their findings with any statistical information. They findings would be more trustworthy if they did a backwards regression analysis of various factors rather than simple correlation (but that's just the stats class talking)

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

headline should read:

Teens' Hormones Causing Early Teen Sex

cause let's face it, a Mystical 'Shake yur Asz!' song isn't making them have sex early.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Songs about sex..........what an NEW and interesting idea!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Since the topic is sex, I decided to move this topic into the "Two Beer Minimum" forum. Why the he!! was it started in the "Trash the Pack" forum anyway, WVV?
    Oops my fault. I didn't know I even did that. I guess Packer fans should be blamed for everything.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    Oops my fault. I didn't know I even did that. I guess Packer fans should be blamed for everything.
    It's all good.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Hear, hear!!!

You could do a study between shoe size and intelligence in a school, and you can pretty well be guaranteed that there will be a correlation, but that doesn't mean that shoe size is responsible for intelligence. It is easy to miss a variable in an experiment. In this one it's easy to see that it's age, but it can be a lot harder.

In this one, it probably has to do with the type of person that listens to raunchy music. They are more likely to be free-spirited people less inclined to abstinance, as opposed to people who listen to non-raunchy music.
    Actually you would probably see no significant correlation between those two variables.
    Sure you would. 8th graders are more intelligent than 1st graders, and most likely, have much larger feet. I'd say that the coorelation between shoe size and intelligence is very statistically significant.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

duhhhhh.duh, duh, duh, duh.(neeeded 5 word min)
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast