BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

‘Girls Gone Wild’ founder gets off easy

[img width=383 height=273]http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/061213/061213_francis_hmed12p.hmedium.jpg[/img]

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - The founder of the “Girls Gone Wild” video empire was sentenced to community service Wednesday for his company’s guilty plea to federal charges of failing to monitor the ages of the women in its videos.

The company, Mantra Films Inc., also agreed to pay $1.6 million in fines for using drunken 17-year-olds in videos it filmed on Panama City Beach during spring break and failing to properly label its DVDs and videos as required by federal law.

U.S. District Judge Richard Smoak told company founder Joe Francis he added the community service because it did not appear a fine would be a meaningful punishment.

The fine represents less than 3 percent of Mantra films’ profits since 2002 and only 12 percent of Mantra’s 2005 profits, Smoak said. Francis makes an estimated $40 million a year.

“It does not take a very brave man to go out and corner a girl in the middle of spring break who had four drinks,” Smoak told Francis.

Francis, 33, said his policy has always been not to film girls under 18 and that the girls filmed in Panama City lied about their ages.

The judge ordered Francis, his company president, general counsel and chief financial officer to each perform eight hours of community service monthly for the next 30 months. But Smoak said the corporate officers could avoid the obligation, giving Francis the option of “stepping up” and serving 16 hours a month of community service by himself in their place.

Attorney Aaron Dyer, representing Francis and the company, said he did not know if Francis would take on the entire sentence himself.

Smoak ordered Francis to read aloud in court a victim impact statement from one of the 17-year-old girls, who said she was emotionally tormented by her appearance on a “Girls Gone Wild” video and that the video damaged her relationship with her family.

Francis later left court without speaking to reporters.

Smoak ordered the company to issue a press release about its federal offenses and to publish the release in the Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today and The News Herald of Panama City.

Francis also faces a Jan. 22 sentencing hearing in federal court in Los Angeles on similar charges in which he has agreed to pay $500,000 in fines.

According to court papers, Mantra Films, based in Santa Monica, Calif., admitted violating record-keeping and labeling laws while distributing videos during all of 2002 and part of 2003.

Mantra issued 83 titles and sold 4.5 million videos and DVDs in 2002, according to Hoover’s Inc., a business data firm in Austin, Texas.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16189235/

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: ‘Girls Gone Wild’ founder gets off easy

Smoak ordered Francis to read aloud in court a victim impact statement from one of the 17-year-old girls, who said she was emotionally tormented by her appearance on a “Girls Gone Wild” video and that the video damaged her relationship with her family.
    Maybe she shouldn't have been bearing it all for the video then... If she lied about her age, I fail to see how she was a victim.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

This guy has the life. He is young, rich, and women are dying to get naked for him. He should write a step by step book.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Maybe she shouldn't have been bearing it all for the video then... If she lied about her age, I fail to see how she was a victim.
    Shes the victim in the sense that she was under age and probably drunk. She whole damaging relationships with her family doesn't really matter. Since any girl can, including those over 18, can have damaged relationships because of GGG.

There's a reason you can't have sex or film under age girls. Because they don't have the experience and are not trusted under the law to be able to make proper decisions for themselves yet.

But I think the reason behind having him read the statement by the girl was to just try to make him realize the damage he can do by doing this to 17 year olds.

The real root of this problem though, I think, is the alcohol. I would have a hard time living with myself if I made millions off of drunk girls.

"There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Not me, I'd pay off my conscience then bang a drunk chick

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Then you are a peice of sht.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

settle down children

Happy camper you're not acting like your name. Chill dude. You're really going to tell me you've never banged a drunk chick-please.