Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

BET shows Demeaning video of black people

when i first saw this my first thoughts was how sad this was. me being black this video made me feel bad. some of my friends tought it was funny, but this is what society thinks of us,

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gWqa7cbdOC8[/youtube]

*Song is NSFW!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: BET shows Demeaning video of black people

I must of missed BET showing this video. But it doesn't seem like a video they would play anyways.
    But there are two ways to look at this. If you listen to what they are saying there is a solid message in there. However Demeaning? That is one way of looking at it, because unfortuantly that is teh way some rsp artists choose to express themselves. Unfortunatly people see this and assume that is how it all is. Its kind of like me watching a Country music video and thinking they are all a bunch of Hillbilly rednecks, or a heavy Metal Video and they are all a bunch of long haired drug addicts. But with the message being said if that is the way that the message gets across because that is how some see it, then I am all for it.

**oh and by the way you put this in the wrong section, not a good day for posting for you so far huh? ;D

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Honestly, I thought this thread was an Onion article when I read the title. It's not really a newsflash that BET is doing something that will harm the image of African Americans.

I think BET shows videos that demean black people all the time.

ANYWAY...as far as this song goes...

I (like Garland Greene) think there is a solid message in there too, but it is one that a lot of people could take heed of, not just African Americans!

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"SharperImage" wrote:
    when i first saw this my first thoughts was how sad this was. me being black this video made me feel bad. some of my friends tought it was funny, but this is what society thinks of us,

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gWqa7cbdOC8[/youtube]

*Song is NSFW!
    Yeah man. I saw that earlier. I think the artist was trying to make certain types of people aware of some things. I can't say for certain as a white guy, but I think he is trying to send his own message in a way that certain youth will understand. In a sense, he is trying to help out kids who are possibly on the wrong path. Although, I would feel extremely embarrassed as a black man. Even though it is clear he is trying to advise certain youth, he makes black people as a race look irresponsible and careless.

It's almost like Andy Griffith singing "Stop f*cking your sister honky. Move out your trailer honky. Go to school honky." Etc... So I can at least see how this would piss off a few people.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

"Garland" wrote:
    I must of missed BET showing this video. But it doesn't seem like a video they would play anyways.
    But there are two ways to look at this. If you listen to what they are saying there is a solid message in there. However Demeaning? That is one way of looking at it, because unfortuantly that is teh way some rsp artists choose to express themselves. Unfortunatly people see this and assume that is how it all is. Its kind of like me watching a Country music video and thinking they are all a bunch of Hillbilly rednecks, or a heavy Metal Video and they are all a bunch of long haired drug addicts. But with the message being said if that is the way that the message gets across because that is how some see it, then I am all for it.

**oh and by the way you put this in the wrong section, not a good day for posting for you so far huh? ;D
    yea it was on bet quite a few times. when i first saw it i was like wow. then my friend sent me it on youtube. so i scroll down an read the comments. this 1 comment got to me. he says i quote " see an these N*ggers wonder why we enslaved them, we give a chance a freedom an make something of themselves but this is what they do." i usually would call them racist. but i couldnt cause he did have a point. the black community is getting sucked into a black hole of trying to be popular an "fly". trying to own an do stuff that they cant afford cause they see it on TV. being all that an being accepted means too much to black people today. parents breaking there backs to buy their son or daughter the newest shoes an clothes so they wont be teased or an outkast at school. we value material things to much, i guess cause we where deprived of it we wanna show up an say look at me.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Ltrey" wrote:
    Honestly, I thought this thread was an Onion article when I read the title. It's not really a newsflash that BET is doing something that will harm the image of African Americans.

I think BET shows videos that demean black people all the time.

I really believe this too.

Young african american boys who listen to this type of music grow up with the message that life is about materialism and superficiality.

And we all know the message young african american women get from it.

Here is something I wrote awhile ago for school:

Saw the new 50 Cent video today. Suprise, suprise. It is about how much money he has.

This shouldn't bug me as much as it does. I mean, I don't claim to have excellent taste in music or anything like that. But this whole rap thing with chains, jewelry, and money is really annoying. Not only is it annoying, but it's not art.

"Our songs are supposed to be the voice of our soul" - Brother Ali

Sure, I guess if materialism is the voice of your soul, Mr Fiddy Cent. The materialistic message contained within much of mainstream rap is a mockery of art. Hopefully the youngsters of today are smart enough to see through it and not learn that life is all about how much flashy shit you own and the money you make.

The song, by the way, is called "Laughing all the way to the bank" or something like that. Even he must know it's bullshit.

I enjoy some rap that speaks from the soul, not all of it is superficial materialistic dogshit.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"baumy300" wrote:
    It's almost like Andy Griffith singing "Stop f*cking your sister honky. Move out your trailer honky. Go to school honky." Etc... So I can at least see how this would piss off a few people.
    Holy shit!
    I laughed so hard I snorted at that one.
    I'm at work too, so that was a little uncomfortable.

You nailed it with that baumy.
    I can see how this would be offensive.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

BET is owned by Viacom that owns MTV and LOTS of other station. So it's going to be GETO that is what Viacom does is publish GETO shows. Like Flava of Love Girls.

GETO GETO GETO..Thats why I watch the NFL network and the Cheerleder Challenge.
    ;D

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"SharperImage" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

yea it was on bet quite a few times. when i first saw it i was like wow. then my friend sent me it on youtube. so i scroll down an read the comments. this 1 comment got to me. he says i quote " see an these N*ggers wonder why we enslaved them, we give a chance a freedom an make something of themselves but this is what they do." i usually would call them racist. but i couldnt cause he did have a point. the black community is getting sucked into a black hole of trying to be popular an "fly". trying to own an do stuff that they cant afford cause they see it on TV. being all that an being accepted means too much to black people today. parents breaking there backs to buy their son or daughter the newest shoes an clothes so they wont be teased or an outkast at school. we value material things to much, i guess cause we where deprived of it we wanna show up an say look at me.
    You were right to think that was racist, it is. It suggests that slavery was ok for black people, which of course is not true.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The ONLY way to effect change is to start with yourself...then use your own example as a way to convince others to change.
    Sure it is a slow process, but in the long run just complaining about others' behavior
    doesn't work nearly as well.

This is true of racism, sexism, prejudice, and any other instances of discrimination.
    Of course, this is ALSO true when it comes to convincing people that in order for stereotypes to change...that they MUST do their part in effecting this change...otherwise not enough of a particular group's members will fit the desired, more positive stereotype.
    It doesn't work any other way...unless you have the sheer numbers to support a new image for any one group, the rest of society (and even the affected part of society) will not believe in the new image for that particular group.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast