goatroper is offline Waterboy

Question Possible to "move down" to better seats during regular season?

I've only been to one regular season Vikings game. Call me a dumbass, but I do enjoy the cheapness and low-key atmosphere of the preseason.

I'm thinking about attending a few home games this season, though. The stinginess factor pretty much limits me to high row, upper level tickets. With that in mind, I'm wondering how feasible it is to move to better seats during regular season games. Obviously, I'm not expecting it to be like the preseason where it seems like a general admission free-for-all, but are there decent opportunities to move down at most home games (Packers games, aside)? Are ushers actively checking ticket stubs?

I'd like to end up at a lower row in an upper level section or a higher row of a lower level section. Anywhere between the 20 yard markers is fine. Is that a reasonable expectation for games against opponents like the Lions?

I apologize in advance if anyone takes offense at this tactic. It is not my goal to steal anyone's seats, but rather to make use of seats that are clearly going unused.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I've only been to 4 games, but every time I've been there, once in the dome, I've never had anyone check my tickets. This isn't an uncommon tactic, as there always are seats going unused. Easy way to tell, is they usually put a little mini gameday program on each seat. When you sit, you obviously take it off and look through it. If nobody's sitting there, assuming nobody stole theirs, it will stay there all game. Just look for seats with the book still on the back of the seat.

As for actually moving from upper to lower deck, just follow people in, if you see them getting checked, then turn around. If not, you're probably fine. Just don't be a dick about it if you get caught.

Thanks for the response. Yes, my experience is much the same (nobody checks tickets), but I've only been to one regular season and two preseason games.

Good tip on the programs.

The TV experience is so great these days that I question the value of being there. It's pretty appealing to be able pause, rewind, skip commercials, sit in a comfortable chair, and drink my own beer. Still, I almost feel obligated to go on occasion, even if I'm just supporting the secondary market for tickets.

I try not to be a dick as a general rule.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    No doubt the actual view of the game is much better at home, but just being at a live game is awesome. There's just no real comparing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think you would have a lot better chance at moving down at games like the Broncos or Raiders than you will with the Lions.

And while there will be a few empty seats, the vast majority of the seats in the areas you are talking about will be filled. Especially low row upper deck. Those are all season ticket holders, and most people know who their seat neighbors are...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think you would have a lot better chance at moving down at games like the Broncos or Raiders than you will with the Lions.

And while there will be a few empty seats, the vast majority of the seats in the areas you are talking about will be filled. Especially low row upper deck. Those are all season ticket holders, and most people know who their seat neighbors are...
    Yeah, you could be right about the chances being better at home games against weaker, non-divisional opponents. On the other hand, the way the season's going, those teams might be pretty evenly matched up with us.

In any case, I did score a couple cheap tickets and will be testing this out on Sunday. Worst case, I'm out $8 and I go watch the rest of the game at a bar or at home, but I think it's highly unlikely that I would be that unhappy with the available seats. I was scanning the crowd as I watched the Bucs game and did see a number of empty seats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goatroper View Post
    Yeah, you could be right about the chances being better at home games against weaker, non-divisional opponents. On the other hand, the way the season's going, those teams might be pretty evenly matched up with us.

In any case, I did score a couple cheap tickets and will be testing this out on Sunday. Worst case, I'm out $8 and I go watch the rest of the game at a bar or at home, but I think it's highly unlikely that I would be that unhappy with the available seats. I was scanning the crowd as I watched the Bucs game and did see a number of empty seats.
    Nice. You should make it to that PP.O tailgate as well!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    The home opener was the emptiest I've ever seen. Would have been fairly easy to move up but I still think it would be touch to get lower upper between the 20's