Thread: Wep Code?

Wep Code?

So the WEP code is the security password for your internet correct? Well I accidently erased the password and closed out and now I am unable to get back on the internet because I don't know the password for it an neither does my dad. My dad says he doesn't remember ever setting a password for it. Is there any way that I can find this password or something or am I pretty much screwed?

The reason why I was trying to find this code out is because I wanted to go on the internet with my PS3 and I needed to type in the code and had no clue what it was so that is why I was messing with it in the first place.
    Im pretty much a computer idiot so.. I would apperciate the help. Thanks

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wep Code?

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    So the WEP code is the security password for your internet correct? Well I accidently erased the password and closed out and now I am unable to get back on the internet because I don't know the password for it an neither does my dad. My dad says he doesn't remember ever setting a password for it. Is there any way that I can find this password or something or am I pretty much screwed?

The reason why I was trying to find this code out is because I wanted to go on the internet with my PS3 and I needed to type in the code and had no clue what it was so that is why I was messing with it in the first place.
    Many routers come with a WEP Code, for example, my router supplied by Verizon has one.

It's on a sticker on the bottom of it, so just check out your router and it may be there.

But that's about as much as I can help lol!

Good luck DaViz

"Mr" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:

Many routers come with a WEP Code, for example, my router supplied by Verizon has one.

It's on a sticker on the bottom of it, so just check out your router and it may be there.

But that's about as much as I can help lol!

Good luck DaViz
    Alright thanks man! Hopefully it is there.... I am at a friends house right now so I will have to check that out tomorrow morning.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

If you can't find it written down anywhere, you might be forced to reset the router and supply a new password

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Call the tech service of the manufacturer of the router. They were very helpful to me in setting up my wireless router.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"DaVizzles" wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is an algorithm to secure IEEE 802.11 wireless networks. Wireless networks broadcast messages using radio, so are more susceptible to eavesdropping than wired networks. When introduced in 1999, WEP was intended to provide confidentiality comparable to that of a traditional wired network.

Beginning in 2001,[1] several serious weaknesses were identified by cryptanalysts with the result that today a WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software within minutes. Within a few months the IEEE created a new 802.11i task force to counteract the problems. By 2003, the Wi-Fi Alliance announced that WEP had been superseded by Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), which was a subset of then upcoming 802.11i amendment. Finally in 2004, with the ratification of the full 802.11i standard (a.k.a. WPA2), the IEEE declared that both WEP-40 and WEP-104 "have been deprecated as they fail to meet their security goals".[2] Despite its weaknesses, WEP is still widely in use. [3] It is often the first security choice presented to users by router configuration tools even though it only provides a level of security that may deter casual snooping or unintentional use of a private network.

WEP is sometimes inaccurately referred to as Wireless Encryption Protocol.
    WEP is, IMHO, worthless, and I've had tons of problems when I had it enabled on my router.
    I actually don't use WEP any longer on my router, I feel it is secure enough because:

I changed the default wireless SSID (rather than Linksys - the default)

I changed the default wireless password (rather than Linksys - the default)

I changed the router settings so it does NOT broadcast the SSID - the most important, IMHO

#3 makes it so that you must KNOW the name of my network to get on it.
    This protects me from 99.99% of the folks out there, mainly because most of them won't be able to detect my network, and because there are tons of people who don't follow steps 1-3, thus making their networks available for anyone who wants to get on it.

Now - in terms of your problem, you're (most likely) going to have to reset the wireless router to the default factory settings and set it all up again.
    On my Linksys router, there's a little white button that is pretty hard to push on the back of the router than can be used to reset it to the defaults.
    Hopefully, you've kept the original documentation that came with the router, so you can check that and follow along.

And, as a measure of last resort, you can call tech support.
    Just remember that you're likely going to be dealing with some dude in India who's following a script on the machine at his desk and who does not possess the ability to deviate from the script.

Good luck.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Mr" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:

The sticker on the bottom of your router, Mr. A., is probably not the WEP code (since routers do NOT come with WEP-enabled, setting it up is part of the initial steps that manufacturers will have you run through) but, rather, the MAC address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) or Ethernet Hardware Address (EHA) or hardware address or adapter address is a quasi-unique identifier attached to most network adapters (NICs). It is a number that acts like a name for a particular network adapter, so, for example, the network cards (or built-in network adapters) in two different computers will have different names, or MAC addresses, as would an Ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter in the same computer, and as would multiple network cards in a router. However, it is possible to change the MAC address on most of today's hardware, often referred to as MAC spoofing.

Most layer 2 network protocols use one of three numbering spaces managed by the IEEE: MAC-48, EUI-48, and EUI-64, which are designed to be globally unique. Not all communications protocols use MAC addresses, and not all protocols require globally unique identifiers. The IEEE claims trademarks on the names "EUI-48" and "EUI-64" ("EUI" stands for Extended Unique Identifier).

MAC addresses, unlike IP addresses and IPX addresses, are not divided into "host" and "network" portions. Therefore, a host cannot determine from the MAC address of another host whether that host is on the same layer 2 network segment as the sending host or a network segment bridged to that network segment.

ARP is commonly used to convert from addresses in a layer 3 protocol such as Internet Protocol (IP) to the layer 2 MAC address. On broadcast networks, such as Ethernet, the MAC address allows each host to be uniquely identified and allows frames to be marked for specific hosts. It thus forms the basis of most of the layer 2 networking upon which higher OSI Layer protocols are built to produce complex, functioning networks.
    =Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:

The sticker on the bottom of your router, Mr. A., is probably not the WEP code (since routers do NOT come with WEP-enabled, setting it up is part of the initial steps that manufacturers will have you run through) but, rather, the MAC address.

In computer networking a Media Access Control address (MAC address) or Ethernet Hardware Address (EHA) or hardware address or adapter address is a quasi-unique identifier attached to most network adapters (NICs). It is a number that acts like a name for a particular network adapter, so, for example, the network cards (or built-in network adapters) in two different computers will have different names, or MAC addresses, as would an Ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter in the same computer, and as would multiple network cards in a router. However, it is possible to change the MAC address on most of today's hardware, often referred to as MAC spoofing.

Most layer 2 network protocols use one of three numbering spaces managed by the IEEE: MAC-48, EUI-48, and EUI-64, which are designed to be globally unique. Not all communications protocols use MAC addresses, and not all protocols require globally unique identifiers. The IEEE claims trademarks on the names "EUI-48" and "EUI-64" ("EUI" stands for Extended Unique Identifier).

MAC addresses, unlike IP addresses and IPX addresses, are not divided into "host" and "network" portions. Therefore, a host cannot determine from the MAC address of another host whether that host is on the same layer 2 network segment as the sending host or a network segment bridged to that network segment.

ARP is commonly used to convert from addresses in a layer 3 protocol such as Internet Protocol (IP) to the layer 2 MAC address. On broadcast networks, such as Ethernet, the MAC address allows each host to be uniquely identified and allows frames to be marked for specific hosts. It thus forms the basis of most of the layer 2 networking upon which higher OSI Layer protocols are built to produce complex, functioning networks.
    =Z=
    No, it's the WEP code.

Verizon set the whole network up for us, so they must have done that as well. MAC is on there too, but I'm 100% positive that the WEP code is there.

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:

No, it's the WEP code.

Verizon set the whole network up for us, so they must have done that as well. MAC is on there too, but I'm 100% positive that the WEP code is there.
    If Verizon is putting the WEP code on the bottom of their routers, then Verizon needs to be sued to their blue balls because that's a ginormous hole in their security.
    It's the equivalent of you putting your signon password on a Post-It Note on your monitor.

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:

No, it's the WEP code.

If Verizon is putting the WEP code on the bottom of their routers, then Verizon needs to be sued to their blue balls because that's a ginormous hole in their security.
    It's the equivalent of you putting your signon password on a Post-It Note on your monitor.

=Z=
    Only if someone gets in your house and looks at it.

I personnaly use WEP along with a couple of the measures Z mentioned.

If you do have Verizon, Mr. A is correct it is written on the router.
    Additionally you can call into the help desk and they can get in using default codes they have and reset it for you if necessary.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg