Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

TV questions / Vikings Room update

As you may or may not know, I am making a Vikings Room in the basement.
    I hope to have it completed by next season (although lately I have been thinking about how nice it would be to have the TV in place by The Masters, but we shal see).
    I need to get down and get some updated pics now that the walls are painted and the carpet is down.

Anyway that leads me to a question for HDTV experts here.
    Has anyone ever bought a TV that is too big for their viewing distance?
    I am reading all the experts that tell you how large of a TV you should buy based on how far away from it you plan on sitting.
    I am going to have numerous places to sit in the Vikings Room and some of the closer ones will be inside the recomended range if I get a 60" or larger TV.
    The other locations will be fine, but I just wondered if anyone had ever done so, and how annoying is it (if at all) to be looking at a TV that is "too big" according to some expert?
    I feel stupid even asking the question, because prior to a couple weeks ago, I would have never thought that a TV could be "too big".
    I would have thought that would be like having too much money, but I just wondered if anyone has experience before I make a decision over the next few months.
    I was looking at some different DLPs in the 61-65" range.

I am even selling a car that I have had since college in order to free up some discresionary cash for the room.
    As much as I have loved it over the years, I just never drive it anymore.
    And sitting in the SC sun it is just melting away a little more each day, and that is tough to watch happening.
    So it will be with a few tears that I possibly part ways with it tonight.

[img width=400 height=300]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/2005-11-12_5787.jpg[/img]
    Sniff..Sniff...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: TV questions / Vikings Room update

If you are too close to an HDTV, you will lose out on the picture clarity, mainly because you eyes will be able to distinguish between individual pixels as well as pick up scan lines.
    This is much more prominent in plasma TVs than LCD or DLP.
    Also, the higher the contrast ration, the less likely you are to notice.

The rule of thumb that I tend to go by is that the screen size in inches should be approximately equal to two thirds the viewing distance in inches. So if you're going to be sitting 8 feet (96 inches) from the screen, you should be good with around a 64 inch screen.
    The ratio used to be 1/2 the viewing distance, but TVs have gotten much better in recent years.

BTW, make sure you post some pics of the room when you are done!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:

The rule of thumb that I tend to go by is that the screen size in inches should be approximately equal to two thirds the viewing distance in inches. So if you're going to be sitting 8 feet (96 inches) from the screen, you should be good with around a 64 inch screen.
    The ratio used to be 1/2 the viewing distance, but TVs have gotten much better in recent years.

BTW, make sure you post some pics of the room when you are done!
    That is good to know, I was still using the 1/2 ratio, so if 2/3 is becoming the accepted norm I should easily be fine.
    Plus I am looking at 1080p so that should help the resolution be finer I would imagine right?

What does everyone know about the "Screen door" effect I hear them talk about, do I understand it right that one person will experience this, and another not at all?
    Does it vary for each person by the TV manufacturer/model, or does someone who experiences it have that sensation for all DLPs?
    What motion tends to bring that out, is it a light object moving quickly across a dark background or something?

I will post some pics of its progress one of these days, and of course when it is completeld as well.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

We're finishing off a room in our house as well, and we've been researching TVs. Our viewing distance is going to be about 8', and a 57" fits really well in that distance. If you go back further then 65" is nicer to watch, but 65" from 8' away loses focus and it's hard to catch the whole screen at once.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The screen door effect is the noticeable pixelation of the picture I mentioned earlier.
    Basically, if you sit too close to the TV you can see it the individual circuitry surrounding either the plasma tube (for plasma screens) or the display lens (for LCD/DLP).
    It makes it look like you are watching the screen through a screen door.
    Like this:
    [img width=300 height=225]http://www.greathometheater.com/images/ScreenDoor.jpg[/img]

This effect is much more noticeable in plasma than LCD/DLP, but if you sit far enough away it doesn't affect you at all.

As far as the resolution, 1080i and 1080p have the exact same resolution (1,920x1,080 pixels).
    The p means that it uses progressive scan instead of interlaced scan when painting the pixels.
    It is better in theory, although hard to tell the difference in real life.
    Also, make sure you have something that actually broadcasts in 1080p before spending the extra money.
    PS3, Blue-ray and HDDVD all support 1080p, but the majority of the sources, like Dish and DirectTV don't, which means you are really just viewing an up-converted 1080i (or even 720i).

You also really do need to be concerned about the contrast ratio.
    Basically this is the ratio between white colors and black colors on your screen. If you take a contrast ratio of 3000:1 this means the TV shows white being 3000 times brighter than black.
    A 5000:1 contrast ratio would show the white 5000 times brighter than black. They can go as low as 800:1, which is pretty bad.
    In general lower contrast ratio numbers translate to coloration that may not match the video source as closely as a higher contrast output. Or simply put, bigger is better, in this case.
    LCD and DLP typically have much higher contrast ratios than plasma, although plasma is starting to catch up.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Turboe" wrote:
    As you may or may not know, I am making a Vikings Room in the basement.
    I hope to have it completed by next season (although lately I have been thinking about how nice it would be to have the TV in place by The Masters, but we shal see).
    I need to get down and get some updated pics now that the walls are painted and the carpet is down.

Anyway that leads me to a question for HDTV experts here.
    Has anyone ever bought a TV that is too big for their viewing distance?
    I am reading all the experts that tell you how large of a TV you should buy based on how far away from it you plan on sitting.
    I am going to have numerous places to sit in the Vikings Room and some of the closer ones will be inside the recomended range if I get a 60" or larger TV.
    The other locations will be fine, but I just wondered if anyone had ever done so, and how annoying is it (if at all) to be looking at a TV that is "too big" according to some expert?
    I feel stupid even asking the question, because prior to a couple weeks ago, I would have never thought that a TV could be "too big".
    I would have thought that would be like having too much money, but I just wondered if anyone has experience before I make a decision over the next few months.
    I was looking at some different DLPs in the 61-65" range.

I am even selling a car that I have had since college in order to free up some discresionary cash for the room.
    And sitting in the SC sun it is just melting away a little more each day, and that is tough to watch happening.

[img width=400 height=300]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/Turboe/Vikings/2005-11-12_5787.jpg[/img]
    Sniff..Sniff...
    The room sounds like it is coming along great...and it appears that you are getting expert advice from Nodak...so I won't add to it.

On a side note, your vinyl siding guy did a crappy job on your house...he put the seams too close to each other on each succeeding row.
    You should kick his ass if you get the chance!

(Sorry, the handyman in me couldn't help but notice it...LOL)

I can't wait to see pics of your finished room though...it will make all of us jealous...and maybe motivate a few of us to construct our own Vikings rooms!
    ;D

Sorry that you had to lose your car...but sometimes you just gotta move on.
    I had to get rid of a similar car that I had driven since college so that I could go to law school.
    I always swear that if I get mega-rich, I will find one just like it and restore it to just like I had it originally...but life will most likely get in the way of that fantasy!
    :'(

BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cajunvike" wrote:

On a side note, your vinyl siding guy did a crappy job on your house...he put the seams too close to each other on each succeeding row.
    You should kick his jiggly butt if you get the chance!

They could have also pounded the nails too far in & the nail heads are preventing the siding from expanding. If the siding isn't free to slide back & forth &/or the gap isn't properly set, the siding will buckle like that when the sun/heat hits it.

I only use aluminum nails. Galvanized nails will eventually rust if they see moisture & will end up leaving running streaks down the siding.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Yes, I want to do my home office in purple and gold but i dont think my hunny will allow it lol

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Turboe" wrote:

Sniff..Sniff...
    Is that a Dodge Daytona or a Plymouth Laser?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

You should kick his jiggly butt if you get the chance!

They could have also pounded the nails too far in & the nail heads are preventing the siding from expanding. If the siding isn't free to slide back & forth &/or the gap isn't properly set, the siding will buckle like that when the sun/heat hits it.

I only use aluminum nails. Galvanized nails will eventually rust if they see moisture & will end up leaving running streaks down the siding.
    The cheaper the siding the crappier it will look when it gets hot outside.
    Eventually it will fall off the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast