Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Stealing is bad mmmkay........

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    Do I get a free hat and t-shirt if I join?
    Yes but in the spirit of keeping it no fun, the hat and shirt are blank and void of color.

6-KINGS Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    Do I get a free hat and t-shirt if I join?
    Yes but in the spirit of keeping it no fun, the hat and shirt are blank and void of color.
    No is that void of color as in black like in printing?

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"Caine" wrote:
    "ColoradoVike" wrote:
    it's not stealing if there's not a copywrite. On the web, things are fast, and lose, and you have to assume everything is up for grabs if it's not on a corporate/institutional website.

Someone just took personal offense to your commonsensical approach to the web and didn't have the interest to confront you openly. If you ask me....that's lame, mmmkay.

Viva open source!
    And yet, at the same time, a signature represents something that someone put a bit of effort into. It is an individualized expression of the original holder. While not "stealing" in the technical sense, taking a sig without permission is tantamount to using the same moniker. After all, would you be happy to having 15 people calling themselves ColoradoVike? How about if each one capitalized a different letter (The remaining 3 would have to capitalize 2 letters).
    I'm not sure if the name analogy works in this matter Caine. In real life, we have people who are named after others, but don't ask for permission to do so. Names really aren't meant to be unique, but here on the Internet, they have to be unique in a database setting.

But, you're right, creative work is an individual effort and if you use work that is not your own, you should cite the work's origin. Authors should be aware that, if they "publish" work on the web, people can and will use it. Authors should therefore imprint their initials, name, or someother identification on their work so that others are aware of the works origin. So, maybe the issue here isn't "stealing" but not citing the origin of the work.

I'd guess that probably 90% of the folks who have avatars use imgaes that they did not create, and the fact that this has gone unregulated suggests to me that users and moderators (bother here and elsewhere) haven't really been concerned with this issue. I don't see how borrowing a sig is any different than the avatars that many people have. So, in the end, I'm perplexed as to why this is even an issue.

but then, I don't know much about this 150 rule in the site, so I'll just sit on my hands for the duration of this thread.

coreyd is offline Coach

Hey man, you can use my sig if you would like. I could care less. If someone uses my sig that tells me that its pretty good. Not taking any credit for making it, cause I didnt.

SO, ITS UP FOR GRABS IF YOU WANT IT BRO!!

MMMMMMKKKKKAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!????

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "ColoradoVike" wrote:
    it's not stealing if there's not a copywrite. On the web, things are fast, and lose, and you have to assume everything is up for grabs if it's not on a corporate/institutional website.

Someone just took personal offense to your commonsensical approach to the web and didn't have the interest to confront you openly. If you ask me....that's lame, mmmkay.

Viva open source!
    And yet, at the same time, a signature represents something that someone put a bit of effort into. It is an individualized expression of the original holder. While not "stealing" in the technical sense, taking a sig without permission is tantamount to using the same moniker. After all, would you be happy to having 15 people calling themselves ColoradoVike? How about if each one capitalized a different letter (The remaining 3 would have to capitalize 2 letters).
    I'm not sure if the name analogy works in this matter Caine. In real life, we have people who are named after others, but don't ask for permission to do so. Names really aren't meant to be unique, but here on the Internet, they have to be unique in a database setting.

But, you're right, creative work is an individual effort and if you use work that is not your own, you should cite the work's origin. Authors should be aware that, if they "publish" work on the web, people can and will use it. Authors should therefore imprint their initials, name, or someother identification on their work so that others are aware of the works origin. So, maybe the issue here isn't "stealing" but not citing the origin of the work.

I'd guess that probably 90% of the folks who have avatars use imgaes that they did not create, and the fact that this has gone unregulated suggests to me that users and moderators (bother here and elsewhere) haven't really been concerned with this issue. I don't see how borrowing a sig is any different than the avatars that many people have. So, in the end, I'm perplexed as to why this is even an issue.

but then, I don't know much about this 150 rule in the site, so I'll just sit on my hands for the duration of this thread.
    Palms UP or palms DOWN...it makes a difference you know! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

To me it's pretty simple.

The person who made the sig was not happy someone took it upon themselves to take it and use it without permission. So they turned to me and I took action.

It's that simple folks. He created something, someone took it, he didn't like it, I fixed it.

If I copied a painting I really liked done by a famous artist and tried to submit it to his own gallery I could see why he would get upset.

If someone came here and said you know what, I created that image of Clint Eastwood that your moderator uses, I would rather he not use it. I would get rid of it. There are ways to protect your images online as well if you are interested PM me. Then this would never be an issue.

Hell you can make it so when someone tries to steal your work it posts an image of a fat lady doing a horse if you want. See if they try to steal from you again.

Obviously from coreyd's response you can see some people have no probelm with people using their stuff. Guess what some people do. Use your head and ask. That's all it boils down to. Don't open my fridge and dig through my shit trying to find something you want to eat. Ask me if it is ok to use my stuff.

It's about respect and about not being a numbnut.

The sigs creator didn't approve of it's use so I disabled it's use. It's really that easy and it can be yours for 3 easy payments of use your brain.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ColoradoVike" wrote:

Viva open source!
    Dude... you are only saying this because you stole Magicci's sig from him and claimed that someone on another site said you could use it.. even though it had magicci's name on it.

Magicci asked josdin for a sig and he put some time and effort into making the personalized sig for him. I think it's pretty lame that you stole it and claimed that you had no idea. I don't believe your bullshit excuse about the other site.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "ColoradoVike" wrote:

Viva open source!

Good idea. :grin:

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "ColoradoVike" wrote:

Viva open source!
    Dude... you are only saying this because you stole Magicci's sig from him and claimed that someone on another site said you could use it.. even though it had magicci's name on it.

Magicci asked josdin for a sig and he put some time and effort into making the personalized sig for him. I think it's pretty lame that you stole it and claimed that you had no idea. I don't believe your kaka del toro excuse about the other site.

Well, this may hijack the thread, but wtf are you talking about? I don't use sigs and I certainly haven't had any interaction with Magicci, Josdin, or you on another site, or here for that matter. So, please explain yourself, and while you're at it, you can also post your apology to me. Likely, this is a case of mistaken identity, but you really should get your facts straight before you start throwing around theft accusations.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Del is absolutely correct!

All you gotta do is ask!

No need to fight over it though...the Mods will take care of any disputes, toute suite (just like Del did in this instance)

END OF STORY!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast