Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spell Check

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Spell Check

A lot of people who point these things out are guilty of spelling and grammar violations (even some in this thread). I view it as petty.

Not all of us come from the same background or educational system. So, I do not let it bother me at all. I have a good friend who is about the smartest guy I have ever met. But, he is the worst speller I have ever met.

If you attempt English, fine. Its when people post all the "teeny chatroom" trash that bothers me.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ltrey33" wrote:
    Bad spelling doesn't bother me THAT much, I'd like a homonym checker though. It bothers me to see there, their and they're used interchangeably! lol
    A homo WHAT??? I was kinda wondering about you...now I know! LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

DemonicViking is offline Ring of Fame

When it gets redundant that's when it gets a tad irritating, everyone has made an occasional blunder, or sometimes do it to be funny, but how hard is it to type "are you" instead of "r u" or "what" instead of "wat" or "to" instead of "2" or to add an apostrophe where it's supposed to go sometimes?

Actually, I don't mind it much from blackstarz, but that's another story, lol.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    just wondering if it would be possible for it to be added.
    Did you mean "added?". Poor punctuation is my biggest pet peeve. But I usually don't say anything because there's no reason to make a person feel bad about themselves. I enjoy good takes by people regardless of their spelling, grammar, and punctuation. These things are petty.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Del Rio Guest

A good thing to suggest if you are a grammar Nazi is to tell people to make the post in a program like Microsoft word and copy/paste it. If I have something important to say I usually try to do it there.

But like others have said I personally don't give a rats ass. If I'm writing a seven page paper on why the Bodesutva of Indian architecture mirrors that of ancient Greek architecture I may bust out the old spell check. If I'm sitting discussing what my favorite band is you get what you get.

Maybe when/if Webby gets his option for people to create groups or whatever you guys that get all riled up over spelling can make a spelling bee group and that will give you the reassurance that the posts are up to standard

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    A lot of people who point these things out are guilty of spelling and grammar violations (even some in this thread). I view it as petty.

Not all of us come from the same background or educational system. So, I do not let it bother me at all. I have a good friend who is about the smartest guy I have ever met. But, he is the worst speller I have ever met.

If you attempt English, fine. Its when people post all the "teeny chatroom" trash that bothers me.
    I think maybe that is the best way to say it; the difference between the teeny trash versus normal stuff.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"Del Rio" wrote:
    A good thing to suggest if you are a grammar Nazi is to tell people to make the post in a program like Microsoft word and copy/paste it. If I have something important to say I usually try to do it there.

But like others have said I personally don't give a rats jiggly butt. If I'm writing a seven page paper on why the Bodesutva of Indian architecture mirrors that of ancient Greek architecture I may bust out the old spell check. If I'm sitting discussing what my favorite band is you get what you get.

Maybe when/if Webby gets his option for people to create groups or whatever you guys that get all riled up over spelling can make a spelling bee group and that will give you the reassurance that the posts are up to standard
    What? You didn't end your last sentence with a period. I don't believe a word you said! :lol:

Spell checks are a huge PIA to fire up and maintain, because invariably some assclown will start adding his hacker lingo or whatever to it and it dilutes the effectiveness anyway. Like we all said...it'd be a nicety to see but noone really gets up in arms about it.

Del Rio Guest

Yeah that is why I suggested for people to use Microsoft word, and copy/paste. Also it is good if you are making a post and something happens before you hit submit that way all that you have written is not lost.

There are spell checks available, just not on the site[size=24px].[/size]

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

There are free spell checkers available for every browser tool bar as an add on. I am not sure why if you post a lot on forums you don't have one.
    I use mine all the time to catch typos and mistakes. I find it interesting to read people defending bad spelling as not making any difference. It does make a difference. It makes you look illiterate, uneducated, sloppy, and just plain stupid. :razz:

Spell checkers
    IE http://www.iespell.com/download.php
    Google http://toolbar.google.com/
    Mozilla http://spellchecker.mozdev.org/
    Firefox http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

WWBGD

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I copy/pasted some and "noone" came up flagged!

I do not believe any of webby's post anymore! Is that teen lingo?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast