Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sorry Guys & Gals

Yesterday, I posted a thread about a VIRUS that I had received an email warning me about.
    Looked pretty legit to me as it DID include a link to Snopes.com for verification.

Snopes.com is still maintaining their stand:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

(you may have to copy/paste this link in your browser.)

BE CAREFUL!.....it goes on to say, at the end of the message, that these two are NOT the same virus, and that THIS ONE IS FOR REAL.

(see "NOTE" at the bottom of the "Snopes" page)

My initial post read:

In an attempt to keep ALL my VIKINGS BRETHREN computer healthy, I thought I'd pass this email along.
    Forgive me if you've already been bombarded with it.

SNOPES CONFIRMS Postcard Virus Real Urban Legends Reference Pages: 'Postcard from a Family Member' virus
    A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever.
    This virus was discovered by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your address book with the title: "You've received a Post Card from a Family member".
    As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN.

So don't open any mails with subject: "A Post Card from .." As soon as you get the mail, delete it !! Even if you know the sender !!! Please pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people, like myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not at all.

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING and an AWESOME CHRISTMAS, VIKINGS FANS!!!

Now, I have been a pretty good, very respectful, and even encouraging RIVAL Fan on this board/site. And NEVER get into talking the usual "smack" crap.
    I was the first one back, on Monday morning....after Adrian ate my BEARS alive, to give KUDOS to an AWESOME running back. And, even compared him with WALTER PAYTON.
    You can trust that saying that was not easy for any BEARS fan. But I gave credit where credit was due.

...and STILL IS.

And, then I came here, as a FAN OF THE SPORT "FIRST"....and a BEARS fan second, to try to warn my fellow BRETHREN Football Fans, not as a "rival"......that there may be something pretty bad out there waiting to rain all over your holidays.
    And to cordially wish my FOOTBALL BRETHREN a GREAT THANKSGIVING & AWESOME CHRISTMAS!

...and STILL DO!!!!

So, as a MODERATOR myself (DaBearz.com), it blew me away, that the best a FELLOW MODERATOR could come up with, for ME taking the time to stop by and hopefully prevent any computer disaster for you guys, is this piece of crap:

ultravikingfan...

Hoax and wrong forum.

Fan Forum is for the Vikings.
    ....and then "LOCKS" the thread.

EXCUSE ME. ....just thought I'd place it where I knew it had the best chance of being seen.

Real Classy....guy.

I'm sorry I ever stopped here in an attempt to help out.

Due with the information, whatever it is you wish.

I do still wish the rest of you, and your loved ones, a GREAT THANKSGIVING, and an AWESOME CHRISTMAS.

--------------------
    www.dabearz.com
    --------------------

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Sorry Guys & Gals

"Guitarzan-54" wrote:
    Yesterday, I posted a thread about a VIRUS that I had received an email warning me about.
    Looked pretty legit to me as it DID include a link to Snopes.com for verification.

BE CAREFUL!.....it goes on to say, at the end of the message, that these two are NOT the same virus, and that THIS ONE IS FOR REAL.

My initial post read:

In an attempt to keep ALL my VIKINGS BRETHREN computer healthy, I thought I'd pass this email along.

SNOPES CONFIRMS Postcard Virus Real Urban Legends Reference Pages: 'Postcard from a Family Member' virus
    A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever.
    This virus was discovered by McAfee . This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored. This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your address book with the title: "You've received a Post Card from a Family member".
    As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+ del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN.

So don't open any mails with subject: "A Post Card from .." As soon as you get the mail, delete it !! Even if you know the sender !!! Please pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people, like myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not at all.

Now, I have been a pretty good, very respectful, and even encouraging RIVAL Fan on this board/site. And NEVER get into talking the usual "smack" crap.
    I was the first one back, on Monday morning....after Adrian ate my BEARS alive, to give KUDOS to an AWESOME running back. And, even compared him with WALTER PAYTON.
    You can trust that saying that was not easy for any BEARS fan. But I gave credit where credit was due.

...and STILL IS.

And, then I came here, as a FAN OF THE SPORT "FIRST"....and a BEARS fan second, to try to warn my fellow BRETHREN Football Fans, not as a "rival"......that there may be something pretty bad out there waiting to rain all over your holidays.
    And to cordially wish my FOOTBALL BRETHREN a GREAT THANKSGIVING & AWESOME CHRISTMAS!

...and STILL DO!!!!

So, as a MODERATOR myself (DaBearz.com), it blew me away, that the best a FELLOW MODERATOR could come up with, for ME taking the time to stop by and hopefully prevent any computer disaster for you guys, is this piece of crap:

ultravikingfan...

Hoax and wrong forum.

EXCUSE ME. ....just thought I'd place it where I knew it had the best chance of being seen.

Real Classy....guy.

I do still wish the rest of you, and your loved ones, a GREAT THANKSGIVING, and an AWESOME CHRISTMAS.

I do appreciate the warning, I told everyone at work to watch out. I'm sure you had the best intentions. If that is exactly how Ultra responded then he should get a green dot.

Boyum is offline Training Camp

Don't take it personal man.
    I think he was just pointing out this isn't the right forum for that kind of thing.

BTW, I haven't heard of this virus nor has any of the IT people I work with.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Guitarzan-54" wrote:
    ultravikingfan...

Hoax and wrong forum.

The Mallet locks my posts and moves things from forum to forum on me, too, bro.

Nothing personal.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Guitarzan-54" wrote:
    ultravikingfan...

Hoax and wrong forum.

The Mallet locks my posts and moves things from forum to forum on me, too, bro.

Nothing personal.

=Z=
    Of course, this thread is in the wrong forum, too, so it will also get moved...

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

It was the wrong forum but being a hoax, who knows.

Thanks for the warning. I appreciate it.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Actually, there were several replies to your original email before Ultra's.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=39873.msg676980#msg676980

And the actual warning you posted is part of the hoax.
    As I said in my reply, the text about the virus destroying sector 0 on your hard disk is part of the original hoax.
    The name of the virus is the only different.
    There is no new virus that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever.
    There is no new virus that destroys sector 0 on your hard drive.
    Warning hoaxes like this are designed to cause panic when no real threat exists.
    That is why many of us are quick to point them out when we see them.

There is a postcard virus though, which is the one that snopes reports as real.
    It is not nearly as dangerous as the warning makes out to be.

There is nothing personal about getting a thread locked or moved. I wouldn't get so worked up about it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

This has nothing to do with being a Bears fans, Vikings fan, or whatever.

We simply put threads in the proper forums here.

And when I saw that it was a hoax, I locked it.
    I truly believed it when NoDak said it was a hoax, he knows he pooh about that stuff.

That is great you were trying to help.
    But here I was under the impression it was a hoax.
    It was nothing against you and you have been a fantastic member from an opposing team.
    We really do not get many good Bears fans that are not here to talk ball.
    I have always enjoyed your contributions.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Guitarzan-54" wrote:

My initial post read:

...and STILL IS.

...and STILL DO!!!!

ultravikingfan...

Hoax and wrong forum.

Real Classy....guy.

Even though it may have turned out to be a hoax, your warning was read and appreiciated by me.....

Happy Holidays right back at you......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    This has nothing to do with being a Bears fans, Vikings fan, or whatever.

We simply put threads in the proper forums here.

And when I saw that it was a hoax, I locked it.
    I truly believed it when NoDak said it was a hoax, he knows he pooh about that stuff.

That is great you were trying to help.
    But here I was under the impression it was a hoax.
    It was nothing against you and you have been a fantastic member from an opposing team.
    We really do not get many good Bears fans that are not here to talk ball.
    I have always enjoyed your contributions.
    Did you piss in someone's Corn Flakes recently? You've got a few people mad at you.

Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast