Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Singer needs major computer help

I need major help with my computer. It was running really slow, especially on PP.O.
    At one point, I decided to reboot my computer, but when I tried to close my MSN widows they locked up. I used task manager to close them, with no luck, so I cut the power to my computer for 40 seconds.

On reboot, I got a pop-up that said new Kodak software updates were automatically downloaded & ready to install. Since I use the software I went ahead & clicked OK.

It went thru about 90% of the installation process & then decided to automatically reboot on its own. Upon reboot, it said new hardware “still camera” was found, yet I didn’t install any new hardware. I thought it might be part of the Kodak updates, but still am unsure.

Anyways, it starts firing up the programs in the start menu & when it reaches a certain point, it goes into automatic reboot again. When it reaches that certain point in start-up again, it just starts rebooting again & repeats the cycle.

I had to go into “Safe Mode” to get to a functional point & removing the Kodak software via control panel doesn’t fix it. It doesn’t delete all of the files/folders.

Without having to go thru a “System Restore”, do any of you computer guru’s have any suggestions for a computer illiterate person like me?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: Singer needs major computer help

Singer,

Download this programhttp://www.majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html, unzip it put it in it's own folder named HijackThis and paste it in the Program Files folder. After you do that select the top option. Attach the results as an attachment.

Will give me a better understanding of what's starting up when you reboot and if anything malicious is causing you trouble. WARNING! DO NOT TRY AND FIX ANYTHING!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I have been getting the exact same pop up too ( got a pop-up that said new Kodak software updates were automatically downloaded & ready to install.
    Last week I would open up one thread and just PPO would freeze, but the other windows I had open were fine.

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    Singer,

Download this programhttp://www.majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html, unzip it put it in it's own folder named HijackThis and paste it in the Program Files folder. After you do that select the top option. Attach the results as an attachment.

Will give me a better understanding of what's starting up when you reboot and if anything malicious is causing you trouble. WARNING! DO NOT TRY AND FIX ANYTHING!
    It created a log file, but I don't know how to attach it to a pm & send it to you

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

Is there a reason you don't want to do a system restore?
    It doesn't take very long and if you have a restore point set before any of the problems started it might be a good quick fix.
    On another note, what I have done for the past few years is:
    I built a new computer and built it with 2 hard drives; one for my operating system and programs that can be easily re-installed, and another for all my files.
    Then, once or twice a year I wipe out the system and reinstall windows and all my programs, while still keeping all my important files on my 2nd hard drive.
    It works great and my computer always runs very fast, and if I ever have a problem I can just redo everything pretty quickly without losing any important information.
    Just some thoughts...

"hailtocarter" wrote:
    Is there a reason you don't want to do a system restore?
    It doesn't take very long and if you have a restore point set before any of the problems started it might be a good quick fix.
    On another note, what I have done for the past few years is:
    I built a new computer and built it with 2 hard drives; one for my operating system and programs that can be easily re-installed, and another for all my files.
    Then, once or twice a year I wipe out the system and reinstall windows and all my programs, while still keeping all my important files on my 2nd hard drive.
    It works great and my computer always runs very fast, and if I ever have a problem I can just redo everything pretty quickly without losing any important information.
    Just some thoughts...
    I never created a restore point to go back to.

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    Singer,

PM me your email address so I can send you the log file it created. Here's the file. I tried to attach it, but it won't allow .log files to be attached. I tried ZIPing it & then attaching it, but then I get the session timed out error eveytime I try & do it. Even if I hit preview first.

Ah I see!
    I'm sure you already checked, but windows to creates restore points periodically.
    Just wondering if you checked if there was one set already.

"hailtocarter" wrote:
    Ah I see!
    I'm sure you already checked, but windows to creates restore points periodically.
    Just wondering if you checked if there was one set already.
    No I didn't check. I have no clue were to check for it unless it's under help & support

Just go to start menu>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore, then choose "restore my computer to an earlier time" and then you will see a calendar.
    If any of the dates on the calendar are in bold that means there was a restore point set (if you click on a bold date it will usually say system checkpoint).
    Then just choose a date far enough in the past that you think would be before the problems started and proceed with system restore.
    If you don't like the point where it was restored to you can reverse it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast