Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Sigs for Military

May have been 91. I just don't remember.
    At any rate,the part I do recall, we were given the B after the second phase of SF training. The 4S came after the third and final phase.

Were you airborne?

We jumped with T-10 chutes in jump school. They were non steerable and could give you a hard ass landing at times.
    When we got to SF we got new steerable chutes called the MC-1. They didn't have toggles yet but they were great chutes.
    I loved those things. SF also would drop us from 2500 or 4000 feet sometimes. That's a ways up there for a static line jump. Standard was 1250 feet.

We were TDY from Fort Bragg at Fort Sam Houston for medical training. They would fly a C-141 down there to jump us once a month. SF always wanted us to jump monthly.
    One time we were supposed to jump from 4000 feet but the ceiling was low and the wind was actually too high.
    But since they had flown down they decided to jump us anyway. We jumped at 800 feet that day. Combat type jump. It was amazing.

Whoops, sorry, started telling war stories. I had a lot of good times in the military and made some great friends. My time in the Army helped me in life as well.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Whoops, sorry, started telling war stories.
    Careful Doc, you know the difference between a fairy tale and a was story?

The fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time...."

The war story starts out "This ain't no sh*t...."
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

"Bkfldviking" wrote:

;D ;D ;D ;D
    What is the red unit patch in your sig. SFC?
    Stay dry out there.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

;D ;D ;D ;D
    What is the red unit patch in your sig. SFC?
    Stay dry out there.
    That was the 18th Engineer Brigade, Central Highlands.
    I was with Co B, 815th Engr Bn (Hvy CBT) stationed at Plieku.
    We built the road from Kontum to Dak To, 10 k from Ben Het.
    Nothing like a stroll along the Laos border back in '69 (except for all the mines, ground attacks, mortar attacks, and rockets).

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    At any rate,the part I do recall, we were given the B after the second phase of SF training. The 4S came after the third and final phase.

Were you airborne?

We jumped with T-10 chutes in jump school. They were non steerable and could give you a hard ass landing at times.
    When we got to SF we got new steerable chutes called the MC-1. They didn't have toggles yet but they were great chutes.
    I loved those things. SF also would drop us from 2500 or 4000 feet sometimes. That's a ways up there for a static line jump. Standard was 1250 feet.

We were TDY from Fort Bragg at Fort Sam Houston for medical training. They would fly a C-141 down there to jump us once a month. SF always wanted us to jump monthly.
    One time we were supposed to jump from 4000 feet but the ceiling was low and the wind was actually too high.
    But since they had flown down they decided to jump us anyway. We jumped at 800 feet that day. Combat type jump. It was amazing.

Whoops, sorry, started telling war stories. I had a lot of good times in the military and made some great friends. My time in the Army helped me in life as well.
    I was in the 101st Airborne, however they re-designated "Air Mobile" (now Air Assault) during Vietnam.
    So, we utilized UH-60 Blackhawks.
    Normally we land get out and kill everyone.
    Other times we would come in hard and low, throw ropes out and fast rope.
    The bird was in and out quickly that way.

Good ole Fort Sam.
    Spent 3 months there for Medic training.
    Man...it was hotter than hell down there.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:

Were you airborne?

We jumped with T-10 chutes in jump school. They were non steerable and could give you a hard jiggly butt landing at times.

I was in the 101st Airborne, however they re-designated "Air Mobile" (now Air Assault) during Vietnam.
    So, we utilized UH-60 Blackhawks.
    Normally we land get out and kill everyone.
    Other times we would come in hard and low, throw ropes out and fast rope.
    The bird was in and out quickly that way.

Good ole Fort Sam.
    Spent 3 months there for Medic training.
    Man...it was hotter than hell down there.
    101st went airmobile during the Vietnam war. They had a tough go up in the Ashau valley. That area was full of tunnels and tough terrain.
    I had some friends who served up there with them. Those guys have my respect.

I mostly served from the Ahn Khe pass east to Qui Nhon. Talk about hot!

BTW This thread got me thinking about my military service again.
    I found a guy I was in Nam with, by doing a net search.
    I called him yesterday. Hadn't talked to him or anybody else in many years.
    Very glad I did.
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    101st went airmobile during the Vietnam war. They had a tough go up in the Ashau valley. That area was full of tunnels and tough terrain.
    I had some friends who served up there with them. Those guys have my respect.

I mostly served from the Ahn Khe pass east to Qui Nhon. Talk about hot!

BTW This thread got me thinking about my military service again.
    I found a guy I was in Nam with, by doing a net search.
    I called him yesterday. Hadn't talked to him or anybody else in many years.

Very glad I did.
    You ever been to the site called "Together We Served"?

http://www.togetherweserved.com/
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

This has turned out to be a pretty great thread.

I'm not planning on ever joining the army, but your stories are pretty good and I want to thank you for fighting, not only for the US, but for your allies, as well.

I might not always agree with the war, but I respect these soldiers.

Btw, Fargo, I wouldn't mind some war stories. As long as you want to share them, of course.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I'm not planning on ever joining the army, but your stories are pretty good and I want to thank you for fighting, not only for the US, but for your allies, as well.

Btw, Fargo, I wouldn't mind some war stories. As long as you want to share them, of course.
    This one doesn't involve me. It happened a few months before I got there. But it is an interesting story about brave men who sacrificed for the freedoms and life we all to often take for granted.

I won't be likely to share any of my personal war stories with people who haven't been there. I don't even share them with my family.

I did not know any of the personel in this story. I may have gone through basic training with the door gunner though. There was a guy with the same name in basic that wanted to be a door gunner.

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/w/w367.htm
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:

This one doesn't involve me. It happened a few months before I got there. But it is an interesting story about brave men who sacrificed for the freedoms and life we all to often take for granted.

I won't be likely to share any of my personal war stories with people who haven't been there. I don't even share them with my family.

I did not know any of the personel in this story. I may have gone through basic training with the door gunner though. There was a guy with the same name in basic that wanted to be a door gunner.

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/w/w367.htm
    Of course. I understand.

I'll check your link when I come back from work. Ty.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast