Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Searching for a new Laptop

My company bought all Dell workstations for desktops and Dell laptops for the execs. My laptop is on 24 hours a day because I bring it home too. I'd fully recommend their support. It's pretty reasonable and they'll fix or replace it regardless of the problem or what caused it (you could drop it from the top of a building and they will repair or replace it). After I had my laptop for about 2 years I accidentally spilled some oily substance on it, and it was completely ruined. They replaced it at no charge.

Like ND66 said you can buy refurbished on Dell.com pretty reasonably and get a full warranty.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

vikingTurf Guest

I have an old mac G4 if you want, but I think your wife is definitely better of with a PC given the type of work she wants to do in it. All I will say is avoid brands like Gateway and Compaq. Toshiba laptops heat up really fast, Dell seems to be a logical option, make sure to get at least 2 yrs of warranty coz most likely you will need it.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

From personal experiences, I refuse to ever buy anything with a Dell logo on it ever again. I hate my Dell Laptop and it hates me right back. I would suggest a Mac, but it really depends on what the computer is going to be used for.

The only reason I see to get a PC is to play the state of the art games that come out for PC only. A mac can do everything else and more. Getting a PC because you will be installing MS Office? Macs can do all that! What PC specific software are you actually talking about?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

BirdHunter is offline Starter

"V-Unit" wrote:
    From personal experiences, I refuse to ever buy anything with a Dell logo on it ever again. I hate my Dell Laptop and it hates me right back. I would suggest a Mac, but it really depends on what the computer is going to be used for.

The only reason I see to get a PC is to play the state of the art games that come out for PC only. A mac can do everything else and more. Getting a PC because you will be installing MS Office? Macs can do all that! What PC specific software are you actually talking about?
    Not only for MS Office, but I do not know enough about Macs. I have a wireless network setup for internet and file sharing. I would not even know where to begin to set this up for a Mac.
    [size=10pt]

Friendship is like pissing your pants...
    Everyone can see it,
    But only you can feel its true warmth!!!
    [/size]

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Every school I went to had Dell but changed because their junk! You will get what you pay for.

I own both a HP Pavilion P4, and a Hewlett-Packard Presario V2000 with a 1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64. (LiveStrong model) I have had no problems with either, and I bought them both off of eBay!

I can highly recommend HP and Compac which is now owned by HP.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

I love my Dell 2650 Laptop.

I have a nice E-machines T1842 at home; best $450 I ever spent. Although my power supply just died on that, but it lasted four years, and power suppys are relatively cheap, and are easy to replace if you know what you are doing.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Dell is by far the best way to go. When I Interned at a hospital in Eau Claire, we would buy 200 computers at a time (wonder why health care is so much...??) We did this 4x a year, we switched over from HP to Dell because of performance issues. We also only bought Dell laptops, same reason as stated above. I also have a dell laptop, Inspiron 9100, and it's awesome. Also, Compaq, is owned by HP now so it does still exist, but under a different umbrella corporation now.

Your best bet is do some side by side research, everyone is going to have horror stories about any product, just choose the one that has less stories
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I just got my new HP laptop with a 17" screen and I love it. I suggest that would be a good one.

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

If you find the Laptop you want...you should try using pricegrabber.com to find it the cheapest.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

HP Desktop and Sony Vaio Laptop (on 24 hrs a day) No issues on any whatsoever
    It just depends on what you use it for and what you load on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast