Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Registry Cleaning

    Does anyone do this? Is it important? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

    My laptop is running very slow.

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    This is one thing I wouldn't recommend someone do unless you are computer savy and I sure wouldn't
    recommend trying to remove registry items on your own. Most of the time you will delete items that correspond to applications that are still using them which will inturn cause software crashes and errors.

    Couple of questions.....

    1. How you gonna do it?
    Registry cleaning software (I recommend Registry Mechanic) or Windows cleaning register.
    2. Have you made a back up (Registry Mech makes one for you)?
    3. Make sure your "Undo" (better known as sytem restore) function is working before you do anything.


    Good luck.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,579

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    clear your internet cookies, history, and temporary files from all the porn you look at and i am sure it will be faster
    We're bringing purple back.

  4. #4
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    This is one thing I wouldn't recommend someone do unless you are computer savy and I sure wouldn't
    recommend trying to remove registry items on your own. Most of the time you will delete items that correspond to applications that are still using them which will inturn cause software crashes and errors.

    Couple of questions.....

    1. How you gonna do it?
    Registry cleaning software (I recommend Registry Mechanic) or Windows cleaning register.
    2. Have you made a back up (Registry Mech makes one for you)?
    3. Make sure your "Undo" (better known as sytem restore) function is working before you do anything.


    Good luck.

    ;D
    I was going to use Max Registry Cleaner.

  5. #5
    erik5032's Avatar
    erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oconto, WI
    Posts
    1,779

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    Stop Watchin all the porno's and maybe it won't run so slowly

  6. #6
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    "gregair13" wrote:
    clear your internet cookies, history, and temporary files from all the porn you look at and i am sure it will be faster
    After doing that, defragment your computer. Defragmenting should be done on a regular basis especially if you do a lot of downloading of files/software.

    If you are going to use a reg cleaner, create a restore point.

    Another option is to run msconfig & turn off all the unnecessary programs that fire up under startup everytime you reboot.

    If you are running Norton Antivirus, get rid of it & run Avast (it's free). Norton is a CPU hog & will slow up your laptop.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    This is one thing I wouldn't recommend someone do unless you are computer savy and I sure wouldn't
    recommend trying to remove registry items on your own. Most of the time you will delete items that correspond to applications that are still using them which will inturn cause software crashes and errors.

    Couple of questions.....

    1. How you gonna do it?
    Registry cleaning software (I recommend Registry Mechanic) or Windows cleaning register.
    2. Have you made a back up (Registry Mech makes one for you)?
    3. Make sure your "Undo" (better known as sytem restore) function is working before you do anything.


    Good luck.

    ;D
    I was going to use Max Registry Cleaner.
    Not that it means anything, however, never heard of them.
    A quick google search and anybody who has a help section for thier product can't be all that bad.
    ;D

    http://www.maxregistrycleaner.com/
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    "marstc09" wrote:
    Does anyone do this? Is it important? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

    My laptop is running very slow.
    Cleaning/clearing the registry will do NOTHING to speed up your machine.

    1.
    Delete temp internet files - all of them, cookies, apps, etc.
    2.
    Delete the TEMP folder - depending on what OS you're operating, there could be more than one and you might have to hunt for it.
    But the whole frigging point is that it is TEMPorary.
    3.
    Uninstall any applications that you are not using - especially those that have communications stuff (such as AOL, not that you have AOL) - or that you did not install
    4.
    THEN and ONLY THEN, run a defrag - might take all night, so you should make sure you turn off your screen saver as that will cause the contents on the disk to change and might make the defrag restart and stop over and over and over and over

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #9
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    "singersp" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    clear your internet cookies, history, and temporary files from all the porn you look at and i am sure it will be faster
    After doing that, defragment your computer. Defragmenting should be done on a regular basis especially if you do a lot of downloading of files/software.

    If you are going to use a reg cleaner, create a restore point.

    Another option is to run msconfig & turn off all the unnecessary programs that fire up under startup everytime you reboot.

    If you are running Norton Antivirus, get rid of it & run Avast (it's free). Norton is a CPU hog & will slow up your laptop.
    Is it safe?

  10. #10
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,159

    Re: Registry Cleaning

    I've used RegCleaner for several years and NEVER had a problem. It even deletes the programs in your register that you had un-installed and it left files there.

    You can download it free here: http://majorgeeks.com/download460.html

    After install I go to: tools, registry cleanup, do them all. It automatically makes a backup so you can't mess anything up.

    I also recommend SpyBot Search and Destroy.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ga. man cleaning with blowtorch sets house on fire
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 09:40 PM
  2. Man bills Michigan town $156 for cleaning bathroom
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 03:10 PM
  3. Cleaning Dad's car after a date
    By singersp in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 09:00 AM
  4. Spring Cleaning: Sigs
    By Webby in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 10:05 PM
  5. Cleaning lady weasels $250K from Bears' DB
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •