Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    davike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Puppy Training Help?

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Never had my dogs in a crate.
    I did use a large card board box at night for the first week or two until they got use to the schedule.
    Schedule is important too, routine.

I am not an expert, didn't read any books on the subject, just had lots of patience and liked the challenge.
    Puppy pads and crates just seemed like they were too confusing.
    I have seen too many dogs trained that way that were really messed up.
    They didn't do it right.

All I got to say

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Jilly is offline Coach

"snowinapril" wrote:
    It really depends on how much time is on your hands and how consistent the training is.

I have found the best method is to let them outside A LOT!
    If you don't have time to take them outside a lot, I would suggest that as soon as you let them out of the crate, take them outside and give them a treat for doing what you ask of them, to pooh and pee.

Use consistent word for pooh and pee and give them a treat when you say pooh or pee and they go where they are suppose to.
    The reward has to be immediately after/during the bodily function.

With that said, I would hate to have to do this in an apt or any place without a yard.

My dogs were fully trained in 4 weeks.
    Even then, the accidents were as expected at first and after a couple of weeks, I could take them outside and get them to go on command.
    I trained 2 puppies at once.
    They were also around 8-10 weeks when we brought them home.
    Also, I would give them water and then 5-10 minutes later, take them outside and ask them to do their business, saves them the hassle of trying to keep it in and is a good chance to reward them positively.

Important Word:
    Outside
    Pooh (use your own regionally accepted word LOL)
    Pee (use your own regionally accepted word LOL)

Never had my dogs in a crate.
    I did use a large card board box at night for the first week or two until they got use to the schedule.
    Schedule is important too, routine.

I am not an expert, didn't read any books on the subject, just had lots of patience and liked the challenge.
    Puppy pads and crates just seemed like they were too confusing.
    I have seen too many dogs trained that way that were really messed up.
    Well I guess I'm a little late chiming in...sounds like you have already received some great adivice.

I have to say that I followed the same training method as snowinapril and it yields great results. Crate training is definately the best route to go. Although I was a bit neurotic taking my dogs outside about every 15-30 minutes during the day, both my dogs were house trained within 3-4 weeks.
    So those first few weeks will be crazy but if you stay consistant, it will pay off and you will get that peace of mind later.

BTW, accidents in the crate at 8 weeks of age is normal. That will stop in another week or two.

Best of luck with your new addition to the family...and good luck with those puppy teeth.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

As you dog owners know, it's interesting watching him learn and change each day.
    First day home he stayed by my side all the time.
    Now on day five, he explores the house and our property and seems to be quite at ease with everyone in the family.
    No comments on his picture???
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    As you dog owners know, it's interesting watching him learn and change each day.
    First day home he stayed by my side all the time.
    Now on day five, he explores the house and our property and seems to be quite at ease with everyone in the family.
    No comments on his picture???
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    Mighty Angus and my daughter Addie...

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/OldDrummer55/New_Friends.jpg[/img]
    Very cute pair!

Didn't think we needed to say that, the photo spoke for itself.

8)

Jilly is offline Coach

"PacNWVike" wrote:

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/OldDrummer55/New_Friends.jpg[/img]
    I'm jealous, I'd love to have a bulldog.
    Awesome picture of both Angus and your daughter Addie.

I don't know much about English Bulldogs but my co-worker got one this past Christmas and she has mentioned numerous times about how stubborn they can be. She actually took it back to the Vet's office because she thought her dog was deaf...it wouldn't respond to it's name, clapping, loud noises, etc.. Come to find out, the hearing is fine. The dog is just bullheaded and responds when it wants to.
    Not sure if this is common for the breed?

Freya is offline Team Alumni

"PacNWVike" wrote:

OMG! Absolutely adorable. Does he snort alot? they used to crack me up at the dog shows.........walk by the bulldog ring and they'd sound like they were gagging all the time.
    ;D

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Freya is offline Team Alumni

You've gotten some great advice already. I would add support to the crate issue. A very good idea. I have found that my dogs will seek out their crate in times of stress. It is like their very own place and they generally feel safe there if the use of it isn't abused.
    I train my dogs to potty on command as well. My word is 'hurry up' and I say it over and over just as they start to go and until they have finished and then praise them. Tone of voice is important, but they can learn words so once they are trained they will then be able to go on command.
    Have fun!

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"VikingMD" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:

I'm jealous, I'd love to have a bulldog.
    Awesome picture of both Angus and your daughter Addie.

I don't know much about English Bulldogs but my co-worker got one this past Christmas and she has mentioned numerous times about how stubborn they can be. She actually took it back to the Vet's office because she thought her dog was deaf...it wouldn't respond to it's name, clapping, loud noises, etc.. Come to find out, the hearing is fine. The dog is just bullheaded and responds when it wants to.
    Not sure if this is common for the breed?
    Yes, they can be stubborn, though the Bulldog "book" claims it is only a sign of intelligence.
    They "choose" if they want to respond to your command...
    ???
    My previous two Bully's had their moments, but for the most part I've found them to be very attentive, loving dogs.
    Your friend might want to try using treats to motivate her stubborn one.
    They LOVE treats!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"PacNWVike" wrote:

I see the problem.
    The crate in the background that you're using for your dog is actually a chest.
    The dog can't breathe in it and is suffering from brain damage.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:

I see the problem.
    The crate in the background that you're using for your dog is actually a chest.
    The dog can't breathe in it and is suffering from brain damage.
    No, that actually IS a chest.

The crate is in the picture, but on our right, dog's left.
    Big, metal and quite warm when properly ignited!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast