Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "Garland" wrote:
    remeber a puppy is pretty much like a small child. encourage them to go outside. Make it fun. With mandi it was "Comon lets go outside for potty!" and encouraged her. When she went it was a ton of warm fuzzies
    Exactly on the warm fuzzies and rewards.

    Edit:

    But on the Caesar side, your dog can not be thought of as your child.
    Your dog is your dog.
    It is a fine line.
    Yes, the dog needs love and affection along with discipline, but should not be thought of as "your baby."
    Your dog needs exercise, not a video game or a chew toy.


    It really depends on how you see your children, LOL!

  2. #22
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    All right you seasoned dog owners, I need your advice.
    Mighty Angus, our eight week old English Bulldog came home and I'm trying to potty train him via the crate method.
    I've used this technique with other dogs and it works.
    Angus does not poop in his crate and wakes me up to go out.
    But he does urinate in the crate.
    I don't understand this as dogs aren't suppose to dirty their living space.
    Is this common with young pups?
    Suggestions?
    Get a cat.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #23
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    All right you seasoned dog owners, I need your advice.
    Mighty Angus, our eight week old English Bulldog came home and I'm trying to potty train him via the crate method.
    I've used this technique with other dogs and it works.
    Angus does not poop in his crate and wakes me up to go out.
    But he does urinate in the crate.
    I don't understand this as dogs aren't suppose to dirty their living space.
    Is this common with young pups?
    Suggestions?
    Get a cat.

    =Z=
    PPO, the only place where dog people and cat people can coexist.

  4. #24
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    All right you seasoned dog owners, I need your advice.
    Mighty Angus, our eight week old English Bulldog came home and I'm trying to potty train him via the crate method.
    I've used this technique with other dogs and it works.
    Angus does not poop in his crate and wakes me up to go out.
    But he does urinate in the crate.
    I don't understand this as dogs aren't suppose to dirty their living space.
    Is this common with young pups?
    Suggestions?
    Get a cat.
    PPO, the only place where dog people and cat people can coexist.
    Hey - if you want to own an animal that eats its own feces, be my guest.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  5. #25
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    Puppies got tiny little bladders...they need to go outside alot.
    Its best to give them plenty of oppurtunities.
    My boy was pretty quick about wining and tapping at the sliding glass door to the backyard when it was time.
    They would rather go outside, but sometimes just can't make it when they're that young.

    My only warning on the treats and praise for POOH idea is you don't want to make that too much of a habit either.
    Sometimes, you won't be there to reward him, and he may try to hold it until you are, or he bursts


    Don't put off training him in the most important command...COME.
    Once they get past 6 mos to a year, it is harder to catch them if they don't listen.
    Its best to have them liking you for treats and praise for coming at an early age.
    One good training tool for this is a long leash so you can real him in if he's not getting it right away.

    Cheers!
    congrats!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  6. #26
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    All right you seasoned dog owners, I need your advice.
    Mighty Angus, our eight week old English Bulldog came home and I'm trying to potty train him via the crate method.
    I've used this technique with other dogs and it works.
    Angus does not poop in his crate and wakes me up to go out.
    But he does urinate in the crate.
    I don't understand this as dogs aren't suppose to dirty their living space.
    Is this common with young pups?
    Suggestions?
    Get a cat.
    PPO, the only place where dog people and cat people can coexist.
    Hey - if you want to own an animal that eats its own feces, be my guest.

    =Z=
    Not all dogs eat their own poop.
    Like, not all cats puke
    up hairballs all over the house.

    Give and take my friend.


    Some dogs and cats are tougher to love than others.

  7. #27
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "mountainviking" wrote:
    Puppies got tiny little bladders...they need to go outside alot.
    Its best to give them plenty of oppurtunities.
    My boy was pretty quick about wining and tapping at the sliding glass door to the backyard when it was time.
    They would rather go outside, but sometimes just can't make it when they're that young.

    My only warning on the treats and praise for POOH idea is you don't want to make that too much of a habit either.
    Sometimes, you won't be there to reward him, and he may try to hold it until you are, or he bursts



    Don't put off training him in the most important command...COME.
    Once they get past 6 mos to a year, it is harder to catch them if they don't listen.
    Its best to have them liking you for treats and praise for coming at an early age.
    One good training tool for this is a long leash so you can real him in if he's not getting it right away.

    Cheers!
    congrats!!
    After awhile, you don't need the treat.
    Give it every other time, then none at all.

    Yes, the COME or HERE command is important too.

  8. #28
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    remeber a puppy is pretty much like a small child. encourage them to go outside. Make it fun. With mandi it was "Comon lets go outside for potty!" and encouraged her. When she went it was a ton of warm fuzzies
    Exactly on the warm fuzzies and rewards.

    Edit:

    But on the Caesar side, your dog can not be thought of as your child.
    Your dog is your dog.
    It is a fine line.
    Yes, the dog needs love and affection along with discipline, but should not be thought of as "your baby."
    Your dog needs exercise, not a video game or a chew toy.


    It really depends on how you see your children, LOL!
    A link to look at:
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/quick_insight.php

    Dogs are not humans. Before they receive love and affection, they need exercise, clear direction, and leadership. Giving them love alone doesn’t create balance in their lives. Be a pack leader!
    More tidbits on the link.

  9. #29
    PacNWVike's Avatar
    PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,270

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    All right you seasoned dog owners, I need your advice.
    Mighty Angus, our eight week old English Bulldog came home and I'm trying to potty train him via the crate method.
    I've used this technique with other dogs and it works.
    Angus does not poop in his crate and wakes me up to go out.
    But he does urinate in the crate.
    I don't understand this as dogs aren't suppose to dirty their living space.
    Is this common with young pups?
    Suggestions?
    Get a cat.

    =Z=
    I love cats, but unfortunately I'm allergic to their dander
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

  10. #30
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: Puppy Training Help?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I also don't like the crate thing/idea/concept.

    As SIA did, I kept them in a large cardboard box at first (just tall enough that they couldn't get out) with puppy pads in it.

    I then graduated them to the kitchen (no carpet) shortly after they started to eat the boxes.
    They now have the run of the house when we are there but are still relagated to Wildmans room at night or outside at night.

    Routine is very important (especially when it comes to food/water).
    Figure out how long it takes to digest the food and take them out shortly after you water them.
    Our beagles go outside for the last time at 11:00 pm and either stay out all night or come in after taking care of business.

    Key words for me were Outside and potty.
    Never tried to do the pee, poooh idea but it does make sense.

    Additionally, I never wait for the dogs to ask to go outside but ask them on regular intervals as well to ensure I am not missing thier signals.

    Good luck with your new family member.

    ;D
    Just wondering....why don't you like the idea of crating?
    My wife used to do it with her Poodle and I felt sorry for the dog getting locked up at night even though I despised that dog.

    ;D

    No other reason.
    Ok just wondering. At a young age we do put our dogs in the crate at night. But when they are older we let them run, they have full access to the house usually. But when they are younger they are crated because it helps in many areas, including behavior in the house, chewing noise....ect. If they are crated they are very easy to transport or take on car rides. And if you do have to lock them up even for an hour or so for some reason when they are older, you won't be stuck (or the neighbors) listening to a howling dog.

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My New Puppy!!!
    By lil_miss_sixty in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 12:05 AM
  2. Man who fed puppy to boa gets 90 days in jail
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
  3. New Puppy! Input needed
    By PurplePumpkin in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 03:46 PM
  4. Man jailed for putting puppy in oven
    By NodakPaul in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 01:12 AM
  5. Former NC State player shoots puppy!
    By cajunvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •