Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    davike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Puppy Training Help?

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    All right you seasoned dog owners, I need your advice.
    Mighty Angus, our eight week old English Bulldog came home and I'm trying to potty train him via the crate method.
    I've used this technique with other dogs and it works.
    Angus does not poop in his crate and wakes me up to go out.
    But he does urinate in the crate.
    I don't understand this as dogs aren't suppose to dirty their living space.
    Is this common with young pups?
    Suggestions?
    I am not sure about bulldogs, but my family raises labs. The crate training method is a GREAT way to go! How long have you had Angus? As a pup, he will end up going in his box a few times, but if you have had him long then you should have him on some sort of a schedule, a number of times in the day when you let him outside, usually you know about how much he goes a day and when you have to let him out. Once he gets used to it you shouldn't have a problem. Just remember to let him out enough (usually plenty at 8 weeks). If you catch him at it (in the box or anywhere in the house) grab him and put him outside. Make sure you keep the crate clean and maybe put a towel or a blanket of some sort in there. If they get used to having their crate clean when they are young, they will hate dirtying up their box when they are older. Puting a blanket or towel (old bath or beach towel works beautifully and they are easily washed) in the box makes it even more uncomfortable to go to the bathroom the crate, they will hate going on their bed. But the blanket will make the crate more inviting as well. *Warning, you get them used to sleeping on soft stuff when they are young and they will usually automatically try to find the softest spot you allow them to sleep on even when older, but it can be a good thing.

One of our labs right now is almost a year and the last time she went in her box she was about 4 months old and that was a suprise because she hadn't done it in a while. I wouldn't expect a lot from an 8 week old pup, luckily their puddles are still pretty small. But you should be able to break him of the habbit pretty quickly. Especially if you get on a schedule. And make sure to let him out plenty to go outside. You can even get them used to going to the bathroom in a certain part of the lawn if you take them out there all the time.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I also don't like the crate thing/idea/concept.

As SIA did, I kept them in a large cardboard box at first (just tall enough that they couldn't get out) with puppy pads in it.

I then graduated them to the kitchen (no carpet) shortly after they started to eat the boxes.
    They now have the run of the house when we are there but are still relagated to Wildmans room at night or outside at night.

Routine is very important (especially when it comes to food/water).
    Figure out how long it takes to digest the food and take them out shortly after you water them.
    Our beagles go outside for the last time at 11:00 pm and either stay out all night or come in after taking care of business.

Key words for me were Outside and potty.
    Never tried to do the pee, poooh idea but it does make sense.

Additionally, I never wait for the dogs to ask to go outside but ask them on regular intervals as well to ensure I am not missing thier signals.

Good luck with your new family member.

;D
    Just wondering....why don't you like the idea of crating?

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    It really depends on how much time is on your hands and how consistent the training is.

I have found the best method is to let them outside A LOT!
    If you don't have time to take them outside a lot, I would suggest that as soon as you let them out of the crate, take them outside and give them a treat for doing what you ask of them, to pooh and pee.

Use consistent word for pooh and pee and give them a treat when you say pooh or pee and they go where they are suppose to.
    The reward has to be immediately after/during the bodily function.

With that said, I would hate to have to do this in an apt or any place without a yard.

My dogs were fully trained in 4 weeks.
    Even then, the accidents were as expected at first and after a couple of weeks, I could take them outside and get them to go on command.
    I trained 2 puppies at once.
    They were also around 8-10 weeks when we brought them home.
    Also, I would give them water and then 5-10 minutes later, take them outside and ask them to do their business, saves them the hassle of trying to keep it in and is a good chance to reward them positively.

Important Word:
    Outside
    Pooh (use your own regionally accepted word LOL)
    Pee (use your own regionally accepted word LOL)

Never had my dogs in a crate.
    I did use a large card board box at night for the first week or two until they got use to the schedule.
    Schedule is important too, routine.

I am not an expert, didn't read any books on the subject, just had lots of patience and liked the challenge.
    Puppy pads and crates just seemed like they were too confusing.
    I have seen too many dogs trained that way that were really messed up.
    Good points!
    The crate is perceived as a safe haven by the puppy.
    I noticed he almost immediately went inside the crate and curled up to sleep.
    We keep him in the crate at night and when we go to work.
    As you pointed out, consistency is critical, and I do take him out a lot, regardless of the hour.
    He hasn't pooped in the house since the first day accident.
    He was eating, and I wandered off to the kitchen "just for a second" to get a cup of coffee.
    30 second...
    I turned and looked to see the little guy squatting in the family room pinching a loaf!
    That was my fault, as I always take him out after eating, drinking heavily or when he starts sniffing around.
    But the urinating in the crate strikes me as odd...
    Thanks!
    The place where you got him probably allowed him to pee in the cage.
    I don't think that is uncommon, young dogs don't hold it very long.
    I think you just have to work hard at getting the dog use to go outside.
    Then when he can hold it he should want to go outside.
    I could be wrong, just a thought.

I would be worried if he was pooping in the cage if that was happening.

"davike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

As SIA did, I kept them in a large cardboard box at first (just tall enough that they couldn't get out) with puppy pads in it.

I then graduated them to the kitchen (no carpet) shortly after they started to eat the boxes.
    They now have the run of the house when we are there but are still relagated to Wildmans room at night or outside at night.

Figure out how long it takes to digest the food and take them out shortly after you water them.
    Our beagles go outside for the last time at 11:00 pm and either stay out all night or come in after taking care of business.

Additionally, I never wait for the dogs to ask to go outside but ask them on regular intervals as well to ensure I am not missing thier signals.

;D
    Ya Mar, I think I did use Potty also, the pooh just comes with the Potty.

As far as the crate, I think it is more the mentality of the people that use them than it is the crate with the dog.

People think of a crate as a CAGE!
    Maybe not consciously, but subconsciously.
    Like the crate is suppose to take care of the dog.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"davike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    My wife used to do it with her Poodle and I felt sorry for the dog getting locked up at night even though I despised that dog.
    ;D

No other reason.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Caesar Millan, the dog guy, says, "there is no such thing as a bad pet, just bad owners."

He proves it every show he does.
    It is usually the people that don't believe that they can get the dog to do what they ask it to do.
    Dogs need a strong pack leader, which is the owner.
    Funny you brought up the Dog Whisperer!
    Last Friday I was sitting in a cantina at the Denver Airport and a guy stood up near my table and knocked his chair over.
    He turned and looked at me, and I thought, "He looks like the Dog Whisperer..."
    As he paid his check I asked the server if he was Cesar and she said she didn't know, but he sure looked like him.
    I told her to check his credit card receipt and when she brought it over to me it reflected "Cesar Millan!"
    Now I wish I had approached him and asked for his autograph in the Bulldog book I had with me...
    :-[
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:

My wife used to do it with her Poodle and I felt sorry for the dog getting locked up at night even though I despised that dog.

;D

No other reason.
    Wow, I read this post before the quotes above it.
    I thought your wife had a sick poodle fetish for a moment there.
    ;D

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Mighty Angus and my daughter Addie...

[img width=450 height=337]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/OldDrummer55/New_Friends.jpg[/img]
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Caesar Millan, the dog guy, says, "there is no such thing as a bad pet, just bad owners."

He proves it every show he does.
    It is usually the people that don't believe that they can get the dog to do what they ask it to do.
    Dogs need a strong pack leader, which is the owner.
    Funny you brought up the Dog Whisperer!
    Last Friday I was sitting in a cantina at the Denver Airport and a guy stood up near my table and knocked his chair over.
    He turned and looked at me, and I thought, "He looks like the Dog Whisperer..."
    As he paid his check I asked the server if he was Cesar and she said she didn't know, but he sure looked like him.
    I told her to check his credit card receipt and when she brought it over to me it reflected "Cesar Millan!"
    Now I wish I had approached him and asked for his autograph in the Bulldog book I had with me...
    :-[
    Cool story!
    I don't watch that show all the time, but every once in a while, flipping through channels, I will stop and watch it.
    It is alway enjoyable to watch.
    It is a lot of the same once you get the rule that I stated in the previous post about the owner.

If your dog has a problem...... LOL!
    Rule One: Owner issue
    Rule Two: refer back to rule one.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

remeber a puppy is pretty much like a small child. encourage them to go outside. Make it fun. With mandi it was "Comon lets go outside for potty!" and encouraged her. When she went it was a ton of warm fuzzies

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast