Thread: Please help

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Please help

I have a digital camera that can take videos and when I put the videos on my computer they automatically play with quicktime. Is there any way I can get them to automatically play with windows media player? I can right click them and try and get them to play with windows media but then all I get is the audio from the video and no video. It says I need a codec mp4v and that might help with the video. :-\

I have windows movie maker and I am trying to get a bunch of quicktime videos into that to put them together but movie maker will only take videos that play on windows media player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

eelpout72 is offline Starter

Re: Please help

i think that quicktime is a different format that windows media player doesnt read

i have a Nikon that saves movies in quicktime formats (.mov) but im able to use Arcsoft Videoimpression to edit movies and change into windows media player formats (.wmv) as well as others.
    The software came with my camera.
    Not sure if movie maker can do this too

So is Arcsoft Videoimpression like Movie Maker? Because if I could get another program that can make movies using quicktime that would be cool to. It would be even better if it was a free download like movie maker haha

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I'm not a computer wiz, but don't you need to download the proper codecs to make it work on WMP?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    I'm not a computer wiz, but don't you need to download the proper codecs to make it work on WMP?
    I'm not a computer wiz either. I never even heard of a codec until my player said that there was an error in the codec or something so I started looking on the internet and found some info on it.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:
    hmm.... maybe... windows media player does play mpg and avi files i think, maybe you can get it to open mov files too...
    sorry, im not a computer whiz either

"cc21" wrote:
    So is Arcsoft Videoimpression like Movie Maker? Because if I could get another program that can make movies using quicktime that would be cool to. It would be even better if it was a free download like movie maker haha
    ive never used movie maker, but Video impression came with my Nikon.
    It allows one to splice moves and merge them, add text, etc. and save in different formats.
    Not sure if there is a free download anywhere.
    Did your camera come with any movie software?

No my camera didnt come with any movie software. So I downloaded Movie Maker but I can't use the vids on there from my camera because it seems to only play videos in Windows Media player and the ones from my camera only play with quicktime.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

You just gotta change what program to use to open those files.

Its easy.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    You just gotta change what program to use to open those files.

Its easy.

I tryed changing them to windows media player but all I get when I do that is the audio playing in windows media. It says I need a certain codec or something.