Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

New Computer Worm

I received this from my college tech dept and thought others at PP.O should be aware of it. Please disregard the campus information, the removal tool can be downloaded from Symantic. I would advise keeping it on a separate disk.

CNS Advisory

Virus/Worm Alert!

Over the last week, "Blackworm" has infected more then 700,000 systems across the Internet. This worm is different and more serious then other worms for a number of reasons. In particular, it will overwrite a user's files on February 3rd (and the 3rd of every month, if not removed).

In order to protect yourself from data loss on February 3rd, you should use current (Jan 23rd or later) anti-virus signatures. If you use a campus owned computer or are a student using the campus version of Symantec AntiVirus, you should go to Start Menu –> Programs -> Symantec Client Security -> Symantec AntiVirus. Once Symantec opens, click on the LiveUpdate button and proceed to download and install the latest version of anti-virus signatures. This should prevent your computer from becoming infected. If you use a different anti-virus program, please make sure you download and install the most recent signatures for that program.

The following file types will be overwritten by the virus: DOC, XLS, MDE, MDB, PPT, PPS, RAR, PDF, PSD, DMP, ZIP.
    How would I get infected?

The worm spreads via e-mail attachments or file shares. Once a system in your network is infected, it will try to infect all shared file systems it has access to. You may see a new "zip file" icon on your desktop.
    What will BlackWorm do to my system?

It will disable most anti virus products and delete them. The worm will e-mail itself using a variety of extensions and file names. It will add itself to the list of auto-start programs in your registry.
    Removal

We have download Symantec’s removal tool. It is located on the P: drive under P:\!CNS\AntiVirus\Blackworm\. However, there are two important reasons to rebuild "from scratch":

1. BlackWorm uses the same tricks to install itself as other viruses/worms. It may not be the only one on your system. Antivirus will not detect all viruses, and the removal tool will only remove this specific worm.
    2. BlackWorm will allow remote access to your system, and additional malware may have been installed via this backdoor.

Thank You

Campus Network Services
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: New Computer Worm

I hate Virus Creating Nerds.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

yeah really

why do they find fun in making others be miserable.

Go vikes!!

Prophet Guest

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_103539.htm

Navycoach is offline Starter

Because you called me a dork in front of that pretty cheerleader in High School!! *cries*

"Prophet" wrote:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_103539.htm
    I knew the college wouldn't alert us if it was wrong. It must be around again for them to be worried. Better safe than sorry. Just be careful fellow fans. I hate when these things come around, I'm so careful with my computer.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"Because you called me a dork in front of that pretty cheerleader in High School!! *cries*"-NavyCoach

hahaha thats awesome....

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

SamDawg84 Guest

argh!!!!! why does their have to be soooo many viruses!!! people should stop makin them

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    argh!!!!! why does their have to be soooo many viruses!!! people should stop makin them
    I guess they make them because they get bored. They need to find something else to do, like we did here! :razz:

Anyone ever wonder if these "nerds" are on the payroll of these anti-virus companies? I mean, aren't most of these programmers normally thought of as "anti-establishment", and big business, etc.?

To keep producing viruses and such so people have to keep purchasing and updating antivirus software seems a bit of a waste of time to me. Aren't they just making those companies richer?

Or am I the only one who thinks about this?
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast