Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Network Encryption Help

    How do I tell if my laptop is 128-bit encryption or 64-bit?

    How do I know if it is WEP or WPA?

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,204

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    Sounds like you bought a wireless router.

    Those settings have to do with how secure your data is from people accessing your computer. You should use 128 bit WPA.

    when using a wireless router, there are ways to prevent other users to access it. One of these ways is WEP, or Wired Equivalence Protocol, which is extremely insecure. You should try to find an option for WPA, which is a much better encryption method. To get it to work, select whichever method, WEP or WPA, and type in a pass-code that you will use to access your router. If your are going to use WEP, then the difference between 64 and 128 bit is the number of characters your passcodes have to be. But you should really go with WPA, which is a 8 to 30 key password of your choosing. Good Luck
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080426200802AAQJqU7

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    "marstc09" wrote:
    How do I tell if my laptop is 128-bit encryption or 64-bit?

    How do I know if it is WEP or WPA?
    As Singer said, the laptop isn't any sort of encrypted.
    The encryption is in the signal coming from your wireless router.
    WEP and WPA are both encryption methods for the signal.

    That said - I don't use either.
    The security steps I've taken for my wireless will stop 99.9999% of the people out there from accessing it - and there are far easier pickings out there for the hackers who might be trolling for signals.

    1.
    Change the default user and password on the router.

    2.
    Change the default NAME on the network - you wouldn't believe how many routers are out there that still call themselves "Linksys" or "Belkin".

    3.
    Modify the settings so that you are NOT broadcasting your SSID (that's the default router name).
    What this does is show that there is a signal, but the name on the signal is not shown, so the only way to get on the router is to have the name in-hand.

    I've had too many issues with WEP and WPA in the past so I just don't bother.


    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    How do I tell if my laptop is 128-bit encryption or 64-bit?

    How do I know if it is WEP or WPA?
    As Singer said, the laptop isn't any sort of encrypted.
    The encryption is in the signal coming from your wireless router.
    WEP and WPA are both encryption methods for the signal.

    That said - I don't use either.
    The security steps I've taken for my wireless will stop 99.9999% of the people out there from accessing it - and there are far easier pickings out there for the hackers who might be trolling for signals.

    1.
    Change the default user and password on the router.

    2.
    Change the default NAME on the network - you wouldn't believe how many routers are out there that still call themselves "Linksys" or "Belkin".

    3.
    Modify the settings so that you are NOT broadcasting your SSID (that's the default router name).
    What this does is show that there is a signal, but the name on the signal is not shown, so the only way to get on the router is to have the name in-hand.

    I've had too many issues with WEP and WPA in the past so I just don't bother.


    =Z=
    +1

    I do the same basic thing at home.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    Thanks for the info guys. I did most of this last night and I think I am ok now. The only thing I did not do is change the default user and password on the router.
    I need to figure out how to do that.

  6. #6
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    "marstc09" wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys. I did most of this last night and I think I am ok now. The only thing I did not do is change the default user and password on the router.
    I need to figure out how to do that.
    GENERALLY SPEAKING - there is a default IP address that can be used to access the router menu.
    I believe for Linksys it is:
    192.168.1.1.


    Do you have a Linksys router?
    Use this guide:
    http://www.haxial.com/faq/routerconfig/linksys/

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #7
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    Interesting note Zeus:

    I turn on my laptop before I turn on my internet and I don't have any more problems. No more getting kicked off or problems connecting to the wireless.

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    "marstc09" wrote:
    Interesting note Zeus:

    I turn on my laptop before I turn on my internet and I don't have any more problems. No more getting kicked off or problems connecting to the wireless.
    Why do you turn off your "internet"?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #9
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Interesting note Zeus:

    I turn on my laptop before I turn on my internet and I don't have any more problems. No more getting kicked off or problems connecting to the wireless.
    Why do you turn off your "internet"?

    =Z=
    Good question. I don't know.

  10. #10
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Network Encryption Help

    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Interesting note Zeus:

    I turn on my laptop before I turn on my internet and I don't have any more problems. No more getting kicked off or problems connecting to the wireless.
    Why do you turn off your "internet"?
    Good question. I don't know.
    If you've protected it, then you don't need to turn it off.
    My router is always on.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MLB Network
    By Marrdro in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 06:17 PM
  2. NFL Network
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 08:45 AM
  3. NFL Network
    By Redmption in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
  4. NFL Network
    By cc21 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
  5. NFL NETWORK
    By SHOW-TIME in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 03:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •