Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Need help with Ned's computer. Is is S - L - O - W

Sounds like a RAM issue to me, I've never seen a PC with Windows XP and only a 32gb hard drive, that's really tiny, they make Ipods larger than that, no offense. I'm going to assume that XP did not come with the computer, and that it is an old model, and if it only has a 32gb hard drive, I doubt it has over 128mb of RAM, and running Windows XP on that "weak" of a machine could definitely cause these problems, I'd say run, Norton if you have it, but Norton misses a lot, then run Spybot, which someone reccomended before, it's a free download, and very good. After spybot run AdAware SE, its also a free download, after all of those have been used, shouldn;t take too long, except for Norton, which takes far longer than the other 2, defragment the hard drive.

If you notice no, or minute changes in speed, I'd say look into a memory upgrade.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    Sounds like a RAM issue to me, I've never seen a PC with Windows XP and only a 32gb hard drive, that's really tiny, they make Ipods larger than that, no offense. I'm going to assume that XP did not come with the computer, and that it is an old model, and if it only has a 32gb hard drive, I doubt it has over 128mb of RAM, and running Windows XP on that "weak" of a machine could definitely cause these problems, I'd say run, Norton if you have it, but Norton misses a lot, then run Spybot, which someone reccomended before, it's a free download, and very good. After spybot run AdAware SE, its also a free download, after all of those have been used, shouldn;t take too long, except for Norton, which takes far longer than the other 2, defragment the hard drive.

If you notice no, or minute changes in speed, I'd say look into a memory upgrade.
    Ned has a tiny hard drive...hee hee hee!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:

I ran both Spybot & aAware while I was there. I also defragmented the computer more than once. I should have brought Norton System Works with me, but I forgot.

How much HD space does Windows XP take up?

I do believe he has a ram problem & too small of a HD. When I first dove into his computer, he was operating at a 17% free space & I got it up around 50%.

I recall someone telling me that for a computer to run efficiently, that number should be 85% or higher.

Ned, if you don't use the Microsoft Office tools, I believe it was only a 60 day trial program anyway, remove it via "Control Panel". Microsoft Office tools take up a lot of space.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

I ran both Spybot & aAware while I was there. I also defragmented the computer more than once. I should have brought Norton System Works with me, but I forgot.

I do believe he has a ram problem & too small of a HD. When I first dove into his computer, he was operating at a 17% free space & I got it up around 50%.

I recall someone telling me that for a computer to run efficiently, that number should be 85% or higher.

Ned, if you don't use the Microsoft Office tools, I believe it was only a 60 day trial program anyway, remove it via "Control Panel". Microsoft Office tools take up a lot of space.
    Microsoft XP Home takes up 13gb, at least thats what I think, my PC has a 120 gb Hard drive, but when I go to "My Computer" and look at the C drive details it says 13gb, so I assume thats just the Operating System files, so yeah 13 gb.

And right now I have 32gb Free, but I don't even remember how the computer ran when I had 85%, about a month ago I upgraded to 1gb of RAM, and updated all of my drivers, and the performance on everything except for windows explorer has improved a lot, my windows explorer is slower than usual, but Im unsure why, probably one of my new drivers.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

Microsoft XP Home takes up 13gb, at least thats what I think, my PC has a 120 gb Hard drive, but when I go to "My Computer" and look at the C drive details it says 13gb, so I assume thats just the Operating System files, so yeah 13 gb.

And right now I have 32gb Free, but I don't even remember how the computer ran when I had 85%, about a month ago I upgraded to 1gb of RAM, and updated all of my drivers, and the performance on everything except for windows explorer has improved a lot, my windows explorer is slower than usual, but Im unsure why, probably one of my new drivers.
    Have you gone to "Tools" in IE & looked for driver updates under "Windows Update"?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123