Thread: mmmkay........

mmmkay........

A few months ago I was responsible for stirring some terds around here....
    here is what happened below:

I just noticed that the signature picture that I had on my profile has been removed and replaced with the message, Stealing is bad mmmkay........

I certainly didnt realize I was stealing anything...
    I am new to this and after being shown in the forum how to attach a signature, I just found one that I thought was cool....

I absolutely would give full credit to the author (if I knew how) and of course, if I would have realized that it was bad ediquette to link to one without permission, I certainly would have asked first....

I do not remember whose signature I "stole", but if they read this, again, my apologies....

Ron

I later added:

It was the signature that has SHARPER and K. ROB on it....
    I just right clicked and pasted the link to my signature....
    I didnt know anyone would be upset about it....
    Opps....

Well, at the time, I only had about 20 post and didnt know about the 150 rule.
    Just wanted to say.....sorry again, to whom ever I offended for thinking their sig was so cool, I wanted it attached to my post as well.....

oh, and now that I am over 150 post, I just wanted to say, that I am no longer interested in your K. Rob Sig.
    ;D

Time to start looking around and PROPERLY requesting someone to make me a cool SIG.
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: mmmkay........

Just steal someone elses, it's that easy!

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

This post is interesting ...Honestly I never thought that copying someones sig would be considered stealing? but I dont know either.
    Also who would have the authoritry to be able to go into your profile and remove your sig and leave you a message?
    ???

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePumpkin" wrote:
    This post is interesting ...Honestly I never thought that copying someones sig would be considered stealing? but I dont know either.
    Also who would have the authoritry to be able to go into your profile and remove your sig and leave you a message?
    ???
    1. As a graphics maker myself, people who rip your work and say it is their own are the most annoying people in the world. Taking a sig and putting it in your signature block without asking or giving credits is implying that you have made it.

2. Admins.

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "PurplePumpkin" wrote:
    ???
    1. As a graphics maker myself, people who rip your work and say it is their own are the most annoying people in the world. Taking a sig and putting it in your signature block without asking or giving credits is implying that you have made it.

2. Admins.
    Well, I learned my lesson and can assure all that I will ask to either have one made or certainly ask for permission to display (if I decide to use a SIG).
    I would never try to claim someone elses work without giving credit.
    When I originally "messed up" I had no clue what I was doing and didnt know how to give credit where credit was due!

I really didnt post this to stir things up again....
    I was just trying to be a little tongue in cheek about that SIG having K-ROB on it and now that I CAN have a SIG, I no longer want it!
    ;D
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

PurplePeopleEaters you do some great sigs! I've seen quite few that you've made here at PPO maybe you could help Vikefanman2000 and make him a sig? just a thought...

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

many artist aound the world have their art re-used. i actually nvr made sigs til i came here. I've done work for the web, applications, even did texture for 3d modeling in a game. lots of the things i've done probably have been re-used.

golden rule of the web as far as graphics go, if they arn't making money from it, and it's posted on the web with the artist consent . it's legal to re-use a graphic without the owners consent or knowledge.

I made a friends photography page, and he got into a small legal battle with a guy who used some of his art as a backround image. cause the site was for his personal project and he wan't making money, my friend actually gave up and said that he didn't mind if his art was used around the world. i liked his look on it and have kinda given up trying to watermark or worry a lot if i use something from someone else to make my art.

the sig's i make are from pics i find on the net, i use them to build something more personalized, with the limited space available it's not possible to credit every peice of the puzzle. so in a sence i'm stealing their work.

as none of us are making money off it.. should it be stealing?

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"digital420" wrote:
    many artist aound the world have their art re-used. i actually nvr made sigs til i came here. I've done work for the web, applications, even did texture for 3d modeling in a game. lots of the things i've done probably have been re-used.

golden rule of the web as far as graphics go, if they arn't making money from it, and it's posted on the web with the artist consent . it's legal to re-use a graphic without the owners consent or knowledge.

I made a friends photography page, and he got into a small legal battle with a guy who used some of his art as a backround image. cause the site was for his personal project and he wan't making money, my friend actually gave up and said that he didn't mind if his art was used around the world. i liked his look on it and have kinda given up trying to watermark or worry a lot if i use something from someone else to make my art.

the sig's i make are from pics i find on the net, i use them to build something more personalized, with the limited space available it's not possible to credit every peice of the puzzle. so in a sence i'm stealing their work.

as none of us are making money off it.. should it be stealing?
    Well. it is different when it is taken/stolen from the site you are on...like PP.O.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

i agree it's not the most say.. appropiate thing, nor well looked apon. i've even had someone use the avatar i made. i didn't phreak on it. checked it and saw that he could get it by going through the list of avatars. i made it, it's originaly mine, with a mix of pics of B.chill, the lips from rocky horror pic show,
    the viking head logo, and the state of mn.

if i see it elsewhere i'd be happy, means someone likes what i made enouf to want to use it.

now if it said DiGiTaL on it, i'm sure they'd not really want to use it. that's why when i make a sig it's personalized to the person who wants it.

i'd say this, i'd rather make one for someone then have them just take one that i made and use it.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall