Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: "Look at me" threads

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Even though I know that SIA loves these threads, the ones where we congratulate folks for hitting milestones in their posting, I suggest that there is one sticky thread in the clubhouse where these threads are located.

The end.
    They aren't "Look at Me!" threads.
    They are "Look at that guy - with the understanding that someone else will post 'Look at Me!' when I've accomplished a milestone!" threads.

=Z=
    Maybe we should ALSO "sticky" those "Look at MY favorite BASEBALL team" threads too?
    Or how about all of those "Look at me with all the cheerleaders" threads?
    Maybe we could even "sticky" all of those "Look, I got up earlier than the rest of you so that I could take credit for posting all of the Vikings articles"?

What the heck...let's just "Sticky" EVERYTHING!!!
    That's going to makee things really sticky

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I've gotta agree with Prophet in this thread... maybe congratulations are in order when someone reaches "HOF" stature...
    HOF status isn't what it used to be.

Oh heck, let's just not post ANYTHING but Vikings stuff...that way we can all have those long lulls between recycled articles in the offseason.

I just don't think some of you get it.
    No it's not, there are too many hall of famers and it's not really fair that you can buy your way in before you get 1250 posts

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

you guys are so silly

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I've gotta agree with Prophet in this thread... maybe congratulations are in order when someone reaches "HOF" stature...
    HOF status isn't what it used to be.

Oh heck, let's just not post ANYTHING but Vikings stuff...that way we can all have those long lulls between recycled articles in the offseason.

I just don't think some of you get it.
    No it's not, there are too many hall of famers and it's not really fair that you can buy your way in before you get 1250 posts
    Buy your way in???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, very interesting thread......

At some point I think you can just quit congratulating guys/gals after posting 1,000 posts.
    Maybe bump it to every 5,000 or so after they hit 10,000.

You still mark another achievement and yet, we don't bore people to death with a thread that seems to happen every 2 to 3 weeks for the most active posters.
    Actually that's how I dose my congratulations. I usually post in the HoF milestones, and after that only at every 5K

But I don't really mind if there are congratulation threads. As with so much else, if you don't want to read or write in them, just stay clear altogether.
    You can take the 'don't click' approach if you wish.
    Then that can be said with every other repeat thread on the boards.
    No rules, just post crap and don't click on it if you don't like to read the same topic repeatedly.

The congratulatory threads are repeat threads.
    Lump them all into a congratulatory thread and sticky it so the whole forum isn't littered with them.

Like I've said, I almost always congratulate people on milestones, so, I'll click on them either way. They are the people that are actually contributing to the boards.

I just don't see the, 'hey so and so had 5000 posts' and 'so-and-so and 12000' and so-and-so has 14000' posts as new information.
    It's all the same thing and should be treated as such.

The whole post count thing is annoying anyway.
    Some people get the misconception that some people are more respected because they have more posts.
    The correlation between having more posts and people knowing you better is there, but, if you are an idiot you are an idiot if you have 1 post or 100,000 posts.
    If you contribute something meaningful you can do so on your first post.

Off on a tangent there.

Bottom-line: they are repeat threads.
    Nothing new or interesting in them.
    Just a recognition of 'hey, thanks for contributing to the boards'.
    That's my take and I'm sticking to it.
    Taint licking or no taint licking.
    They are threads for Maddro to whore-up.

1 post saying "Great post" and another congratulating the milestone.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Shit, I remember when HoF was elite.

I was the 11th in that group.

Here ya go.
    How many member are in each group:

Waterboy
    Training Camp
    Rookie
    Starter
    Pro-Bowler
    Asst Coach
    Coordinator
    Coach
    GM
    Hall Of Famer
    Star Spokesman
    Team Alumni Member
    Ring of Fame
    Jersey Retired
    Knife Wielding Maniac that Murders Wife

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=45280.msg784642#msg784642 date=1211897026]
    Even though I know that SIA loves these threads, the ones where we congratulate folks for hitting milestones in their posting, I suggest that there is one sticky thread in the clubhouse where these threads are located.

The end.
    They aren't "Look at Me!" threads.
    They are "Look at that guy - with the understanding that someone else will post 'Look at Me!' when I've accomplished a milestone!" threads.

=Z=
    Maybe we should ALSO "sticky" those "Look at MY favorite BASEBALL team" threads too?
    Or how about all of those "Look at me with all the cheerleaders" threads?
    Maybe we could even "sticky" all of those "Look, I got up earlier than the rest of you so that I could take credit for posting all of the Vikings articles"?
    What the heck...let's just "Sticky" EVERYTHING!!!
    Congratulatory threads for reaching a milestone are in their own mind-numbing league.
    They deserve to be sequestered.
    I would say the same for MOST of the threads on here as well...but then I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't like your "Taking a Dump" thread to get put on a sticky as well.
    Well, that's your opinion.
    I see it as a bunch of repeat threads littering the boards.
    Someone reaches a milestone and people say congratulations!
    Nothing wrong with that, but when you sign in and 1/2 of the threads on the opening page of the clubhouse are 'look at me' threads it seems to me that they would be better contained somewhere.

Just a suggestion. If people don't like it they can lick me where I stink. I'll lose sleep over it.
    [/quote]

??? That doesn't exactly narrow it down.
    :-\

:P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmm, very interesting thread......

At some point I think you can just quit congratulating guys/gals after posting 1,000 posts.
    Maybe bump it to every 5,000 or so after they hit 10,000.

You still mark another achievement and yet, we don't bore people to death with a thread that seems to happen every 2 to 3 weeks for the most active posters.
    It's like the TV...don't click on it...there is no rule that one HAS to only go to the "From the Huddle" listing first.
    No offense.

OF COURSE, if I could also relegate certain threads to a "Sticky" as well, I might not be so opposed to the idea presented by Prophet.
    Its not so much the "Don't Click On It" problem but rather if you don't post for a few days you have alot of things to wade through to get to the ones you want to read/comment on.

Maybe another option is to add a bit of functionality to the site so that if you click on the "Show unread posts since last visit or "Show new replies to your posts" you can selectively delete the ones that don't interest you.

That would alleviate alot of threads mucking a guys/gals reading process up.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    We used to have that capability, but it went away about two or three upgrades ago. I loved it & used it all the time.

Now I just go thru those lists for the ones I want to see & then delete the rest en masse.

Are birthday threads look at me threads?

"Prophet" wrote:

The end.
    I may be wrong, but I think what you really want to see is a Child Board that contains all the congratulatory threads, much like the "PP.O Who are they really" child board & not a Sticky Thread.

A sticky thread is one single thread, whereas a child board is like a sub-forum that contains all relevant threads.

I think the way you have it worded is confusing the fuck out of a lot of people. They might be looking at it as if you are suggesting that there be one single thread that people get congratulated in or a single post within that thread gets entered with the milestone on it. I don't think that is what you are suggesting.

I think there is nothing wrong with adding a child board to put them all into, in fact I think it's a damn fine idea.

Hell, we have a child board for the "Who are they really?" threads & there's a lot less of them than there is congratulatory threads, so why not?

That way, they are easy to find & the Clubhouse Forum isn't littered with congratulatory threads.

[img width=450 height=266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/Image2.jpg[/img]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast